You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Suburban Pittsburgh, Pa Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

My Suburban Pittsburgh, Pa Haunted House

 

My house was built in 1905 as a combo general store/home. As was common in those days, the main floor was the store and the upstairs was housing for the store owner. Attached to the house was a store room used for dry goods. Under the store room were horse stalls for the delivery horses.

Over the years we have often heard footsteps and voices. The smell of cigarette smoke is sometimes unbearable. Since my husband and sons have allergy induced asthma, they cannot be around smoke. There are times when they have asthma attacks due to the presence of smoke. According to their doctors, the mere smell is not enough - they need to be exposed to actual smoke.

Then there are the moving objects. You need your keys/dog leash/sunglasses. You look where they belong. You look in all the usual places. Nada. The next day you find the necessary object in plain sight on the coffee table. No one put it there - it just appeared.

The basement of my house connects to the garage. It used to be an open area between the house and storeroom. Wagons were pulled into the space for loading. A large door on the side of the storeroom opened above the wagons and dry goods were lowered into the bed of the wagons. The far wall of the garage is the back wall of the old horse stalls. (They have since been converted to an additional 4 garages.) Often while doing laundry I can smell horses. The mixed smell of hay, manure and horse is recognizable to anyone who has ever been around a horse barn. Since there have not been horses in the stalls in about 90 years, it seems unlikely this is a residual smell. Very early in the morning I have even heard horses snort and stamp their hooves. Again, suburban area - no livestock anywhere near me.

Finally, there is the Man in Blue. Our house is on a hill. When parked in the main garage the car is angled such that getting an accurate read on the various fluids is difficult. Routinely my husband pulls the car out and parks across the street before checking fluids. One morning last week he pulled my car onto the street and checked. He walked back into the open garage to get oil. I was talking to the neighbor. The color drained from her face as she looked towards the garage. When she was able to talk she told me a man in blue work clothes had walked out of the garage behind my husband. The man turned right and proceeded up the sidewalk towards my front door. Then he vanished. Since I've seen him several times, I wasn't nearly as shocked as she expected. He always comes out of the garage right behind someone. He always turns and walks towards the front door - the main "store" door.

Other hauntings by TheCrone

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TheCrone, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Argette (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-07)
My baker ghost surprised me about 4 a.m. This morning with another aroma, one I could not identify. I was of a more chemical nature, but also earthy. A big change from cinnamon rolls or toast!

I wonder if it was because I commented here. I have experienced "signs" and evidence of mind reading before.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-06)
Wow, I wonder if they interact with each other when they are visiting. I have the image of his dad scaring the cats, and his mum reprimanding him for it 😁
TheCrone (4 stories) (24 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-06)
The interactive ghosts are my husband's parents. They both lived with us and died in the home. His mom calls his name. That's the extent of her interactions. His dad is more active.

He calls my sons by name. He also moves their stuff around. He never approved of them playing sports so he often hides their equipment. He was a smoker and he often comes into their rooms to smoke. He also did not like cats. He torments the cats, causing them to hiss and spit at nothing visible. One of the cats was here when he was alive. That cat always growled at him & still does.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-06)
Hi TheCrone, I really enjoyed reading about your experiences. What sort of thing does the other ghost do to interact with you?

I love how you get the residual smell of horses, the smell of the past coming to life once more, its absolutely fascinating 😊
TheCrone (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-05)
I wish I had a baker not a smoker! No, when you open the windows the smell does not dissipate. Not the smoke, not the horse. (I don't actually mind the horse smell.)

My ghosts have never been threatening. The Blue Man is most likely a residual haunting. He never interacts - he just goes out of the garage into the house to work. He actually disappears where the entrance used to be. We have added a porch which changes the entrance.

The other ghost is an intelligent haunt. He does things to let you know he's there and reacts to people.
Argette (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-04)
I am never surprised to see a Pennsylvania "dateline" on a story here. A few months ago I read somewhere that the word most associated with your state is "haunted."

But that is neither here nor there. You describe your home so well, I can see it. I can imagine, too, how awful those smells would be.

When you smell cigarette smoke, does it help to open the windows?

I'm glad my ghost is a baker, not a smoker.

Good luck with this and thanks for posting.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-04)
I am assuming that you still live there. Have you ever felt threatened the presence of ghost there? I would love to experience what you did.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: