You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Orbs

Real Ghost Stories

Orbs

 

For many years now I have been seeing small balls of light which people refer to as orbs. These orbs can occur when I am on my own. I see them in my own home, other people's homes and have also seen them at work. I do wear glasses and regularly have my eyes tested and they are healthy.

When I am talking to people I see the orbs above their heads and at the side of their heads, (never in front of their faces). Sometimes they look like a short flash and sometimes they look like a shooting light. They are always a light cream colour, I have never experienced seeing any other colour. They don't bother me now, but they used to when I was younger. The reason why I am posting this story is because I wanted to know what people's opinions are. I have sought information before but would like to know more.

Whenever I have seen the orbs they have always displayed themselves in a calm manner. The reason I say this is because last month a very good friend of my sister's passed away. She had cancer and was very young, (she was such a lovely, very humorous person). My sister visited me last week, the first time I had seen her since her friend had passed away. She was talking about her friend at length, getting upset at times, she is heart broken, I really feel for her, (I didn't know her friend as much as she did). While she was talking about her friend I kept seeing orbs, flashing etc. Then all of a sudden I was seeing more than one at the same time and they were flashing like mad, so much I had to look from my sister, to them, then back to my sister. She knows I see these orbs and I had to tell her what was happening because it was so distracting, they were manic.

I just wanted to ask what your thoughts are about the orbs and why they were flashing so quickly when my sister was talking and why I see them. I am not sure if this has anything to do with what I am seeing, but they have been more frequent since my uncle, aunt and cousin passed away in an accident. Is this just a coincidence?

Thank you for reading my post.

Other hauntings by samtillie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, samtillie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-18)
Thank you Ladydarke, I think its going to take a long time for her to even come to terms with her friend passing away.
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-17)
Wow! I have never seen an orb in person, I only catch them on camera which is ok by me. Very interesting story. I do hope your sister finds peace with the passing of her friend ❤
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-17)
Ladydarke, haha I didn't even know about the million dollars! I never thought about studying them before, just they have been part of my life for so long I just accepted they were just there. Maybe I should take more notice of them than I do and try to capture one on a photograph, I never know when they are going to appear though, but I try in future and if I ever get one in a photograph I will post it on here 😁
ladydarke (113 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-17)
What's really exciting about this phenomenon is how consistent it appears to be. Because of that consistency, it allows you all kinds of opportunity to work with it, study it, and perhaps hope to establish some sort of pattern with it.

If you could do that, you might even have a chance at winning the James Randi million dollar challenge. Http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

The catch being, of course, that you'd have to develop a provable pattern with the orbs. Something like being able to photograph them and every photo you say will have an orb does. Maybe you could even "train" a spirit orb to sit on your palm and become visible, if it is indeed an intelligent spirit and not some sort of residual energy. Something, I don't know what. But, like I said, the consistency of the orbs gives you the opportunity to at least try. If you succeeded, you'd push paranormal studies into the mainstream and put a cool million in your pocket.
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-17)
Ladydarke - in regards to your questions I must say the orbs are a lot more active when I am around people. When I am on my own they still flash etc but not as much. In saying that when I am with particular people they do not occur. Someone recommended that I do EVP but due to having my toddler around all the time I was abit concerned about doing it.
ladydarke (113 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-16)
That is really cool that you've had flashers and can positively differentiate them from the orbs. Thank you so much for divulging that information. Your answers to the first set of questions also seem to strongly support movement independent of the eye, which would tend to rule out a visual artifact. That makes this really exciting, thank you. >^.^< I also enjoyed and appreciated your enhanced description of how the orbs appear.

I totally believe you, btw. I've seen an orb myself but it was only once and it was about the size of a basketball. My sister was with me and we both saw it and ran after it. It traveled very quickly and when I called for it to come back, it immediately swung around and came back to hover above us.

I'm glad that you feel you've found an satisfactory explanation for the ones you see and I think its amazing that you see them all the time. Would you mind trying to interact verbally with them to see if they'll respond? That might distinguish between emotional energy orbs and spirit orbs. Do you find them more densely present in an area where a lot of emotional energy was discharged, such as in a room after an argument? If you do, or can otherwise pinpoint which ones might be emotional energy, do you think it would be possible to learn to visually discern the difference (if any) between the two types?
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-16)
I will just say which I forgot to post originally is that on occasion when I have been with a particular friend at her home, when we have been chatting and I see the orbs, she is normally sat on her sofa. I have seen them at the side of her shooting upwards or downwards. (This happened with other people too, just giving an example). When I am on my own, (my toddler is always with me too, so not fully on my own, but you know what I mean) I see them anywhere. At the moment I am laid on bed accessing net on my phone, phone is close to my face and I have just seen an orb on the ceiling, just a quick bright flash, (twinkle).
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-16)
Hi Ladydarke, when I have my eyes tested they always undertake a retina scan to check for any underlying health issues and damage to the eyes. I had my eyes tested last month and they are fine. This may help you understand too that when I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes and did experience visual floaters at that time due to the diabetes. These orbs that I am experiencing are nothing like the floaters I experience when diabetic. I have cut and pasted your questions so I don't miss any out haha.

) Do you see them even with your eyes closed?
No, never experienced this.
2) Do they go away if you move your eyes or blink?
Difficult to answer this one, but sometimes some flash very quickly and by the time I have blinked they have gone
3) If you move your head or shift your eyes, do the orbs move as well?
Again this depends because they move anyway, but if I moved my head to the left and they are travelling to the right they will continue to travel in that right direction.

And a different set of questions:

1) Do you ever see these orbs when people aren't present, or around animals or inanimate objects?
Yes I see them when I am on my own, don't have much contact with animals.

2) If you take a picture of a person while the orbs are active, does anything appear in the photo?
I have never tried this, maybe I should. I cannot tell many people, as I feel they would think I am weird, some people are not very open minded, I have attempted to confide in people before but merely mentioning anything supernatural they have dismissed it, so I never pursued. Some people eh! Haha

3) You said they appear only around people's heads, not in front of their faces. A face might be said to be visually distracting as it is colored, has contures and textures, moves, and you are paying attention to facial cues. What if the background is equally complex? Do you tend to only see the surrounding flashes against a still, neutral background such as a wall or sky, or will they appear even against a busy moving background?
Yeah they are that bright and distinctive I see them on any background, I am not working at the moment but when I was at work I would see them in a busy office environment.
I feel I do know the difference between seeing visual symptoms of an eye problem, due to temp diabetes as stated, the floaters I experienced which are symptoms of diabetes looked like the space screen saver on windows, (that's the only way I can explain it) which were loads all at one time or just a few at the same time. These orbs are so bright, like an illuminated light, like they literally have a life of their own. If I see more than one at the same time one can be still while the other flashes, so at the same time they are doing different things, acting differently. Thanks for asking me the questions, I know you are being sincere and trying to find out the best outcome of what the orbs are I am experiencing. I am happy to accept they are emotional energy or spirit energy. If it is that I am happy and privileged to experience it. Next time I visit a medium I will discuss this with them. ❤ ps. Ill try and take a piccie in the future 😊
ladydarke (113 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-16)
I know you said you visit an eye doctor regularly, but have you ever actually mentioned the flashes to him/her?

Visual artifacts are fairly common, including both floaters and flashes: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/eyes/flashes-and-floaters.htm The clinical term is photopsia. It can be caused by imperfections in the vitreous of the eye, but it can also be indicative of underlying conditions such as retinal tears or detachment. I have no idea how obvious that would be to your eye doctor under normal testing, so this is probably something you should report just in case.

It is interesting that the flashing orbs appear to respond to external stimuli. I do not know if that could be linked to photopsia; for instance, perhaps if you got teary-eyed, the increased moisture in the eye might exacerbate the appearance of the flashers? That'd be a question for your optometrist.

You had referenced the orbs you see in your last story, and I was really hoping you would post about it. This is very interesting and it sounds cool to watch, though distracting! I have some questions:

1) Do you see them even with your eyes closed?
2) Do they go away if you move your eyes or blink?
3) If you move your head or shift your eyes, do the orbs move as well?

And a different set of questions:

1) Do you ever see these orbs when people aren't present, or around animals or inanimate objects?

2) If you take a picture of a person while the orbs are active, does anything appear in the photo?

3) You said they appear only around people's heads, not in front of their faces. A face might be said to be visually distracting as it is colored, has contures and textures, moves, and you are paying attention to facial cues. What if the background is equally complex? Do you tend to only see the surrounding flashes against a still, neutral background such as a wall or sky, or will they appear even against a busy moving background?

Thank you for sharing this intriguing experience!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-15)
The site was having some hosting issues. I think everything is back to normal now though. /fingers crossed 😆
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-15)
Thank you Badjuujuu for your information. Thank you also Jeuna, sorry for delay in replying, I haven't been able to get on the site for a day or so 😕
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-15)
Jeuna - The orb picture I was talking about is now posted on my story "someone, something pt2" - thanks to Badjuujuu ❤ because I'm technically challenged, she had to give me a hand in this 😆
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-15)
BJJ - Now that we are up and going again, would you kindly post up that picture on my behalf my friend? When you have a moment, thank you!
JeunaBella (3 stories) (58 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-15)
Hi samtillie. I've always longing to see an orb and I think those who saw 'it' are very lucky. My elders believe an orb is some kind of spirit wandering and visiting places to re-live some kind of emotion it once had. My great great grandmother used to tell us, the children when we were kids that the orb is very warm and full of emotion. She told us she was granted an opportunity to hold the orb when she was a teenager. I never experience it so I have no idea.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-13)
Samtillie, I lean towards it being emotional energy, since the orbs seemed so hectic while your sister was upset. Also, yw. I'm just glad I made more sense than I thought I did lol.
Notjustme, I think the easiest way to share the pic would be to upload it to a site like photobucket and post a link.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-13)
Samtillie - Not terribly long ago this topic was brought up on someone's story and I opted to post a picture that I have taken shortly after my bearded dragon died. I made this structure thingy for her to bask on and a day or two after she passed I was looking at the structure and feeling really sad. I then took a picture of it and to my surprise I caught her orb. The pic is on the same laptop as I am typing from now, but I don't know how to post it. If anyone is willing to teach me I will for sure share it with everyone. Someone here has shared a link that explains the different meaning of different coloured orbs and it said green meant healing. That was the colour of her orb 😁
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-13)
Hi Rich, I am well thank you, I hope you are too. Think we would all live an update from you 😁
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-13)
Griff- I agree with you too, people on here give such good information. I have always known they have been some kind of energy but not sure from what. I am that used to them now if I stopped seeing them I would think there was something wrong, its become part of my life, luckily it is something that is not as scary, frightening as other peoples experiences on here.
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-13)
Badjuujuu- I totally understand what you are saying and thank you. When my relatives died I was 14 years old, always been open minded. I just wanted to know exactly what I am seeing. So it is it emotional energy of the person I am speaking to? Or spirit energy? Either one I do not mind haha! It does happen most of the time when I am speaking to people. I see the orbs all the time at home, every day. I have only told very close friends about what I see.
Rich73 (1 stories) (67 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-13)
Samtillie, how are you my friend? It's nice to read a new update from you although I don't have a clue what these orbs are.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-13)
Coalesce just means that something has combined into a mass. I've seen a few orbs with the naked eye, and it's the only thing I can think of to explain it.
Twenty four years ago should have been enough time for everyone to come to terms with the loss, so maybe it isn't the result of your family's emotional state causing those orb sightings. It could be that during the time you were grieving, you became more open to perceiving emotional energy. If you were too young at the time to have understood the concept of death, its possible that you picked up on the emotions of the people around you and that's what made you perceive emotional energy more intensely. I'm having a tough time finding my words today, but I'm trying to say that experiencing/witnessing your family experience such intense emotions heightened your natural gift at seeing energy.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-13)
I think BadJuuJuu has hit the nail on the head with that comment. I think everything is made up of energy, and these energies are given off invisibly, well usually anyway, until someone like you can see them. Obviously as already said, it seems the energy given off is visually affected by the persons mood.

I believe that this energy is carried on once the mortal body dies, which is perhaps what you also see. I also believe that when a traumatic event happens, or one of pure happiness, this creates and gives off an energy of its own which can be almost sucked up by its surroundings or even the atmosphere at the time of the event, and is released or replayed over time, which people experience, with some people being more sensitive to it than others.

I don't think this is the only reason people experience the unexplainable the things they do, but I do think its part of the reason. Apologies for the slight off tangent comment, I just think you see peoples energies, or some of it at least.

Thanks for sharing 😊
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-13)
Hi Badjuujuu, I do understand what you are saying, but what are coalesces?
Also when I mentioned people in my family that died in an accident this happened 24 years ago. Ever since then the orbs have been more intense.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-13)
Ok, my opinion on orbs seen with the naked eye is that they are usually just a collection of energy. Natural energy, emotional energy, sometimes just coalesces if that makes sense. I hope it does. 😳
I think the reason the orbs seemed manic around your sister is because her emotional energy was very intense at that time. In time, when everyone begins to heal emotionally from all the losses your family has faced, the orb sightings may slow down. It may take a very long time for everyone's emotions to start healing though.
Just my thoughts on the subject. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: