You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Lady On The Stairs Aka White Noise

Real Ghost Stories

The Lady On The Stairs Aka White Noise

 

My names Stephanie, I've been living in my house in NSW, Aus for 18 years. Throughout that 18 years I have experienced way too many ghost encounters/paranormal events for them to be simply explained by 'chance' or 'technical faults'.

One of my most real and horrifying experiences happened when I was 8-10 years old. My house is a federation styled home, so there are large stairs leading from my bedroom down to the front door (you can't see the front door from the top of the stairs because the stairs angle to the left). Anyways this is what happened:

I was in bed (I slept in a bunk bed with my sister at the time - I was on top) but woke up with the usual poking I used to feel in my back (while asleep) throughout my whole childhood (it was a distinct finger poke but I wasn't frightened by it as my mother joked with me that they were just friendly gnomes trying to tickle me) - so I decided I wanted a drink of water. I climbed down from my bunk bed and approached my doorway.

My whole house was pitch black but, being a child (oblivious to the dangers of the dark), I walked to the top of the steps anyway. I began walking down when I approached where the stairs turned and angled towards the large front doors. Now, my father kept the porch light on throughout the night so it would always shine through the glass part of the door as a kind of 'night light' if I needed a drink. What I saw that night I have been trying to explain to this day.

A woman faced me. She stood on the second last step and appeared to be looking right up at me. I'd like to say she was clear and I could see her spooky ghost face. But, as strange as it is, all I could see was her outline. And where her features should have been, was (you know when the TV back in the 90's used to go all fuzzy and black and white and made that white noise sound?) just that - the black and white fuzzy lines (minus the noise of course). Not the norm - I know.

The even stranger part is, I didn't feel scared. The memory is kind of hazy but I remember just standing there staring at her, trying to rub my eyes and clear my sleepy head in case I was seeing things. I made the decision that I should just turn around and walk back up the steps. I wasn't quite scared, but my brain started to realise that what I was seeing actually just happened - so I was a little shaky. I took a few steps towards my bedroom and right then I felt this feeling in my chest and run up my spine like little tingles - I knew she was following me.

This is stupid I know - but I didn't pick up my pace, I just walked slowly and pretended not to notice her (so as not to alarm her and make her act on whatever intentions she had for me). I walked into my bedroom, climbed into my bed (faced the wall) and pulled the covers up to my chin. I knew was still behind me. I felt a quick breath on my neck. And that was the last that I experienced of the lady on the stairs. I have nightmares about her to this day and my entire family knows not to mention 'the lady on the stairs' when I'm around.

Further reading if you're interested: When I look back on it, I realise two things. One: I wasn't scared because I know in my heart she was smiling at me. I couldn't see it because there was nothing but the outline and fuzzy black and white lines, but I had a feeling in my head or my chest - that she was smiling at me.

The second thing was that she had a distinct 1950's bob hairstyle and a dress that puffed from her waist down to the floor (definitely old styled). She was also a weighty woman, not thin but not large either.

Anyways, it feels good to just get this out. Do with it what you will, my story is yours now:) I just wish I had answers to all my questions!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mitsibishi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

kingofstrings92 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-16)
I agree with elnoraemily. From someone who has experienced truly evil entities, it is nice to hear a spirit giving you an almost calming feeling.

My hunch is this was a guardian of some sort, letting a young, impressionable mind know that you weren't alone. Just my two cents!
MitoTakatori (49 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-28)
It's a real scary, kind of the ring story. I believe this as many I know have experienced this and have the same definition of seeing a ghost. More stories please!
Mitsibishi (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-26)
It's such a strange feeling - not seeing a smile, but feeling it. I still wonder why she would be smiling at me, because she doesn't fit any description of any woman in my family...
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-22)
This was enjoyable.
I like that even though you were young, you were still able to pick up that she was not there to harm you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: