You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: The Vanishing Water And The Large Cat

Real Ghost Stories

The Vanishing Water And The Large Cat

 

This is my first time on YGS. I am a well educated young aspirant. I have never believed in spirits and ghosts. In fact I am a total atheist, not believing in God either.

Anyway, in spite of this, there is this one incident that I have no explanation for. As 20 years old and studying engineering in a well renowned college. The area that I lived in was a little bit away from the hustle bustle of the city. My family and I had rented this big house that was about 30 years old. Ever since we moved in I had this feeling that I didn't belong there.

Anyway, my grandmother was ill at that time and lived in a small town nearby. So many times my mother had to visit her to take care of her. This meant that I was alone in the house on many occasions.

One such day, my mother had gone to my grandma's. She had instructed me to do some typical house chores as I had a holiday that day. One of these was to fill up the steel container with water. We usually store water in this 18 litre container for the purpose of drinking, because the water supply is not continous in our area. The supply is only for four hours in the afternoon in which time we need to stock up with water.

So, at around 2 pm, the supply started. This container was kept at a height and so I had to get up on the kitchen platform to fill it. I distinctly remember getting up on it and spending about 15 minutes to fill up the tank completely. After I was done, I got down and started doing other chores when suddenly I heard a soft 'Meow' from the storage cupboard under the stairs.

This cupboard is stocked up with all the things we own that don't fit into any category in our house, but we think are too important to throw them out. So it is always closed and we seldom open it.

So, when I heard that soft 'Meow', I was surprised. But I thought I had imagined it because I was tired with all those chores and dismissed the thought. As I was tired, I decided to make myself a cup of tea. So I took a vessel and went to fetch water from the tank that I just filled using much efforts. I opened the tap, and surprisingly enough, no water came out. I thought something must have broken the the tap. So again I got up on the platform intending to take the water from the upper opening. But to my shock and utter dismay, there was not a single drop of water in it. The theory that the water must have leaked out is not true, because I checked for any leakages but there were none and also, the tank and the area around it were completely dry.

However, I thought there must be a good enough explanation, so I started filling the tank again. As soon as I started, the 'Meow' sound from the storage came again, but this time distinct and loud. I decided to check it out. So I left the tank and went to the storage cupboard. As I got nearer, what I assumed was a cat was making a racket inside the cupboard. I opened the door, which was locked, by the way, and out ran this cat. It was not our garden cat, but a different one. It was bigger than most cats and was brown with patchy black spots and a very bushy tail. It ran out looking frightened and made for the back door and bolted out. I was so puzzled by this, as the door to the cupboard was locked and it had no other openings.

Still, being a strong skeptic I am, I shook away the thought and went back to filling the tank.

After filling it up, I made myself a cup of tea and before drinking it, I again checked if the tank was full, it was.

So I started my laptop and watched a few episodes of my favourite TV show Friends.

Soon my mother came back with my dad and she asked me to fetch water as she was extremely tired. She asked me whether I had done the chores and filled the tank. I said yes and went to bring her a glass of water. But again, the tap did not work and on checking, I found the tank empty.

I told my mom what had happened, but she is an even more skeptic than I am. She thought I was lying and assumed that I had forgotten to do my chores. She didn't give it a second thought. I knew that no amount of convincing was going to make her believe what I experienced, so I dropped the matter and continued with my life.

Since then I have had no weird experience, except that the thought that I do not belong here still stuck with me. An year after that we built our own house, three lanes away and moved out of that rented one.

I am still an atheist and still do not believe in either spirits or God.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Neha31, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Neha31 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-09)
Hey Alien, I have my set opinions, that does not mean I am a freaking genius who knows the answer to everything in the universe, plus I enjoy reading creepy ghosts stories, they're interesting... And Elno, thanks a lot for your support...
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-13)
Alien,

People can believe whatever they wish and still not be able to explain things that happen. Hence, reaching out and looking for explanations that they cannot find on their own.

Sometimes, someone else giving their input is the most helpful thing, especially on a site that is not (I repeat- not) supposed to judge people for their own personally held beliefs.
alien11able (9 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-08-13)
If you don't believe in the spiritual realm, why even bother posting experiences on this site? You should be able to come up with logical explanations for any event!
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
Great story! Hmm now we try and figure out what it all meant. That you experienced an "apport" of water was pretty neat. Wonder where it was transported to! Maybe the kitty had been drowned in the water or locked in the closet and passed from lack of water and food. Maybe just his way of letting you know what happened. Guessing lol. Thanks for sharing!
Neha31 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-08)
Hey sheetal, thank you for your comment...
Yes, it was a strange cat. Also, I had never seen it before, and have never seen it since.
That was the only incident, except that my brother sometimes wakes up at night screaming, but doesn't remember dreaming or seeing anything after he calms down. But even his nightmarish screams have stopped since he got married three years ago...:)...
Even though I do not beileve in spirits, it does not mean that I am not open minded about it. I certainly have no explanation for that incident. But I think if I refuse to believe any paranormal, I can live peacefully.
Neha31 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-08)
hey utkarsh, I certainly like tea very much... But I certainly did not use the entire water... Lol 😁
utkarsh (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-04)
hey neha31,
I'm an atheist too... But I still believe in evil or ghost stuff... According to my opinion these things happen in two cases according to me... Either a person died in their of thirst or was burned alive... Or you used the whole water to make tea...lol...just kidding...
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-04)
Hi neha, nice narration... After reading your story the first thought came up in my mind was That strange cat. It is said as ghost can change any of the character mostly animals. So it can be a case of residual haunting. Another question is any other incident you have noticed in that house or by your parents?

You mentioned that you do not believe in ghost or god. So my question is if you do not think this occurred due to spirit so what is your thought about this incident?

Regards,

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: