You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Swinging Door

Real Ghost Stories

The Swinging Door

 

When I was living in my old house in London with my mother, father and two sisters, I used to be frightened of our downstairs bathroom. I'll tell you why. It started off when I was around 8 years of age and I'd be downstairs on my own watching a movie while my mum would be in the kitchen (which is directly linked across the bathroom door) and she'd be on the phone doing whatever mums do. I was sitting down and noticed the clock was about to strike eight pm, I was thinking why dad wasn't home yet. I then heard a creaking noise and my head shot towards the sound and the door began to slowly creak open and then close shut. It wouldn't close completely or, at least I thought it didn't. I shrugged the thought off, I just assumed it was the window inside the bathroom. I continued watching the movie and then I heard the door open again and my head turned towards the door again. However, this time, the door remained open halfway and confirmed that the wind was in fact directing the door. I got up to check if the window was open because my mum might of left it open while cleaning out the toilet. I went inside the bathroom and looked around towards the window and noticed, it was closed and locked. I began to get scared, the feeling gradually increasing to a point where I ran to my mother and informed her what just happened. She shook it off telling me I was imagining things and that I'm paranoid. I refused to believe it. I sat back down on the sofa and continued viewing my movie when I noticed the door was shut. I focused on the door, I could of sworn I left it open.

That was the first serious experience. The second experience which scared me the most more than anything was when I was 11. We were looking at new houses to move to and I was saddened that I was moving out of my home I grew up in. By now, I had forgotten the door experience and I hardly remembered what happened. Little did I know, that night when me and my four cousins were downstairs sleeping in the living room, that I was going to be reminded. It was the day before my sister's birthday which is why my cousins were over. There was 7 people upstairs including my mum and two sisters and five downstairs, including me. I woke up in the middle of the night, approximately 2:30 if I remember correctly, I needed to go to the loo. Forgotten of my past experiences, I went to the toilet, finished and returned to my sofa where I was sleeping. I remember closing the door completely and the window inside was closed as well (I had a habit of always locking the bathroom window and every other window which was open). Prior to sleeping, we were discussing about my grandfather who had passed away when I was 7. He used to joke around and tell me I was his favorite and I remember specifically him always spoiling me with gifts. Out of interest, I stared around the room, first to the clock and then to the back of the joined living room to the toilet. I noticed the door was creaked open. I turned my body to a more comfortable position, I swear I closed the door I thought. I shrugged it off and I heard the bathroom door swinging open. My eyes shot straight to the door and my cousin was awoken by it as well. He looked to me and whispered in a very low voice, you saw it open as well. I nodded and looked back the door. We both got up, opened the lights and closed the door together. Heading back to our beds, the two of us closed the lights and looked at each other and began to speak. We were discussing the door incident and my granddad again. My cousin, who is 5 years older than me, joked around saying maybe it was granddad who opened the door. I smiled slightly but the thought scared me a lot in reality. Then coincidentally, the door creaked open ever so slightly and then stood there. I forcefully ignored the situation and fell asleep in fear. I woke up the next morning and I spoke about the occurrence to my mum. She then looked at me with a weird expression and said I had a dream about your granddad, what a coincidence. After that night, I never noticed or saw the door do anything out of the ordinary again.

I don't know what it was but all I knew was that door was moving and it was not mind tricks. Nothing happens twice "out of coincidence".

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EmperorRI, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

EmperorRI (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-12)
I've had experiences after but they were more weird and scary, i'll make another story about them.
ishan (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-11)
I understand buddy. Its natural to be frightened. Have you had any experiences there after?

Good luck and God bless
EmperorRI (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-09)
I don't know buddy. All I know I was really scared and to this day, it spooks me out. I understand the whole presence but I was really scared and believe it or not, I didn't go to the downstairs toilet for about 6-7 months. It could be that but then again who knows. I'm skeptical about the window because I remember closing it all the time.
ishan (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-03)
By the looks of it, seems that your granddad just wanted to show his presence around you. The fact that you were his favorite and he was intact really attached with you supports this. As much as presence of anyone is frightening, it may be that he's just there as a guardian to you all. Be careful though as this may NOT be the case.
God bless you and take care.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: