You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Family Encounters

Real Ghost Stories

Family Encounters

 

My brother, Matthew, was in the attic sorting out a bunch of Christmas decorations and stuff for my Mum. She was at the foot of the ladder on the landing, waiting for him to pass boxes down to her. Suddenly, there was a momentary flash of white light, and at the same time my brother screamed. He leapt down from the attic entrance, missing the ladder entirely, landing on his feet shakily before stumbling hurriedly into my brothers' shared bedroom. There he sat on the bed, knees drawn to his chest, trembling and crying, rocking back and forth. When my Mum asked him what was wrong, he replied with "my Dad's in the attic".

Our Dad died almost 8 years ago of lung cancer.

Another time, my brother Simon had been out for a drink and came home late. This could be purely down to him drinking and getting emotional, but he swears on his life that he saw my Dad sitting in the back garden (his pride and joy) and watching the fish swim in the pond.

My Mum saw my Dad in the bathroom once, too, sitting on top of the closed toilet lid. He was wearing his usual suit shirt and trousers and he smiled at her, simply saying "I told you, didn't I?" or something along those lines, before she freaked out and ran back into what was once their shared bedroom. She'd just woken up (or so she thinks) when she had stumbled into the bathroom and discovered him sitting there, but she still can't say for certain if it was actually all a dream or not.

Myself and my Mum had a shared experience when I was still in primary school, back when my Dad had only recently passed away. She was fixing her hair in the mirror in the living room, almost ready to make the short walk to school with me, when she called me over, alarmed. She asked me what I could smell, and after a moment, I frowned and said "...aftershave, my Dad's aftershave" and she nodded, eyes wide. My Dad always, ALWAYS wore Brut. During the walk to school that day, we smelt it again. We've been able to smell it over the years ever since.

Of course, there was also the jigsaw experience, which is actually already a post up here. Go to my profile and you'll be able to find it under the name of "Quite Literally A Puzzle".

There are a few more experiences regarding my Dad but I'll have to check with my family to clarify a few of the details, so they'll be in a separate post in the near future. I hope you found this post interesting, and please let me know what your thoughts.

-lp96 x

Other hauntings by lanapoll96

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lanapoll96, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Micsoccer14 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-19)
It sounds like your dad decided to stick around and look out for the family. While some events can shake you up a bit, I think they're very friendly events. You said the aftershave event happened right after he passed, it may have been you and your mom subconsciously trying to hold on to a memory of him. Or it could be your dad saying he's alright.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-10)
so sweet. I love how he's so active hehe and God bless you and your family. Your father must be in a good place now ❤
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-10)
How cool is that, your dad still looking out for you and with a sense of humor too.
Argette (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-09)
I loved knowing he is still there, looking after you. Do not be afraid. He obviously loved you all.
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-08)
I wouldn't put it down to your brother's drinking for that experience. Since everyone has had experiences. It sounds to like your dad is still looking out for his family. That's a nice thought.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: