You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Story About A Ghost Cat

Real Ghost Stories

Story About A Ghost Cat

 

This is a story about a ghost cat. This happened to my mother and her first husband shortly after they were married. They were married in 1928; my mother was eighteen years old. They rented a farm not too far from both sets of parents around Stigler, OK. There was no electricity; they used cold oil lamps, which were lit with a match. The bed was made of mattress made of feathers, which when you made an indent the indention stayed there until you fluffed it.

Every night when they went to bed the last thing he would do is blow out the lamp. After he would do that it felt like a cat jumped upon the foot of the bed. They did not have a cat nor was there one anywhere around. He would relight the lamp and they would see the four indents of a cat's four feet at the foot of the bed in the feather mattress. This mother said went on for about a week. So one night they decided they would shut and lock all of the doors and windows, search the house then he would blow out the lamp but have a match ready to relight it. They got into bed and blew out the lamp. As soon as they done this the cat again jumped upon the foot of the bed. They relit the lamp and started searching the house. No cat to be found.

They moved from there as quickly as possible finding another farm to rent.

I would very much like comments on this story.

Another thing I would like comments on is that I grew up around cats; my father bred long haired Golden Tabbies. So there was always two or more in our house. I have seen many times that one cat would see and react to a spirit that I was seeing but the other cat would not. This happened with different cats in different situations. Why would one react and the other not? Anyone have an opinion?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, phenonw, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

phenonw (1 stories) (32 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
No Anushkasabre, no one was hurt, but both my mother & her first husband were really scared. That's why the moved. Does sound kind of funny a ghost cat scaring you out of your house. 😆
I was considering that some cats can see spirits & some can not. That seems to be what all of you are thinking too. Thanks for posting. 😁
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-16)
Wait, they moved because of the ghost cat? Or, they happened to move and they happened to have a ghost cat. Fun story. Full agrement with everyone else about the animal sensitivity.
ERizzy (1 stories) (51 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-13)
Thats very cute, I'm sure he/she was comfortable with your parents if it did it frequently 😊

-ERizzy
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-12)
Strangely, just a few weeks ago, I felt a cat climbing onto and pawing my back while I was sleeping. I would chalk that up to cat-loving memories, but in your parents' case, I think it's possible that they were just cat-people. 😊 So of course some ghost kitty would want to curl up next to them.

As for why certain cats of yours have seen spirits while others haven't, I agree with lady-glow. It only makes sense that since certain humans can see ghosts and other can't, that other animals would have the same variance.
Argette (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-11)
Yes, welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing a great story. I am somewhat familiar with the ghost cat phenomenon, as I have a friend who owns an old American foursquare house that she once rented. When she rented it, she used to see a ghost cat sneaking around.

I'm surprised we don't have a ghost cat at our house, because it was home to a cat once...
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-11)
The cat jumping on the bed at night, I think it's pretty cool. That has happened to me and my husband many, many times. No cat physically present, but you can feel a cat walking on the bed, and sometimes laying against us. Once my husband even heard the cat purring, which I thought was awesome.
I agree with lady-glow that some animals are just more aware than others. One of our cats is just oblivious, even when something happens right beside him. He was sitting on one end of a storage chest, and I had an incense burner at the other end. The incense burner slid several inches towards my Chunky Monkey, who never noticed a thing. The cat sitting beside me though, he reacted. Sat up straight, watched the incense burner, meowed at it. My big boy never seems to notice anything odd, although my younger cats usually react. Not all animals react, and not all animals react every time something happens. Our female dog reacts, our male dog may or may not. The older he gets, the less interested he is in stuff he can't eat. /shrug
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-06-11)
phenonw: welcome to YGS.
I think the ghost cat was only following its daily routine just the way it did it while alive.
I find it sweet that the kitty wasn't afraid of strange people using "its" bed, but obviously your parents wouldn't share my opinion. 😐

As for the cats reacting differently to a spirit, my guess is some animals might be like people, some are more aware of the paranormal than others.

Thanks for sharing your parent's experience with us.
Anushkasabre (15 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-11)
May be that cat was good and felt comfortable with your parents just like its previous owners and jumped on the bed like always. Was anyone harmed? Don't know what to say about your own cat

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: