You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Nashville House

Real Ghost Stories

Nashville House

 

I spent the first ten years of my life in Louisiana. But just before my actual 10th birthday my family moved to Nashville, TN. For my Father's work. He works in the music industry as a sound engineer and song writer. While my mother got a job as a nurse in the nearby hospital. It was a tough move for all of us as we had spent years living with my grandparents Joshua and Marlena. But we were also happy in a way to have our first own home. That our parents could decorate as they saw fit and us kids could finally have our own space. And best of all a swimming pool. We also got our first dogs at that time Danny (Collie) and Schultz (German Shephard).

We moved into the house in June of 1975. It was a lovely 2 story wood and brick house built in the 1950's and we were its third family. It had an attic, a finished basement, a 4 car garage and a carport and the beloved swimming pool. The yard was large with lots of trees that were of good climbing size (much to my joy and my parents horror still). The house too was fairly good sized it had 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms spread over 2 floors (parents downstairs and kids upstairs) which meant my brothers (Luke and Justis) and I had our own rooms. And the twins shared (Elisha and Eloise always shared). And our parents had their room and own bathroom.

The house had an odd layout. And I'll let you know so you get an idea. Ground floor as soon as you go in the front door you were in the lounge room and through the lounge was the dining room turn left and through the door was the kitchen and another door to out side. If you went back to the lounge and went straight ahead there was a hall that lead to my parents rooms, A sitting/music room (where our piano was), the laundry and the stairs. Upstairs a long hall that all our bedrooms lead off and at the end of the hall a staircase that lead to the attic. To get to the basement you had to go outside in the yard and open the big double storm doors and go down the steps. There was no inside stairs to it.

Now for the ghosts I guess:

1. A lady in her 50's in a long dress very 60's style with hair in a pony tail would often be seen walking from the kitchen to the front door and then back again, then she would just vanish into thin air. The first time my mom saw her she thought it was my dad's aunt Sylvia who was due to arrive for a visit. But when she spoke to her the lady didn't even look up and vanished. Needless to say my mom waited out the front for us kids to get back from summer vacation activities at the local YMCA. We soon got used to her though and named the ghost Nellie.

2. An old man who was seen often in the car garage and shed. Mostly seen by my dad who often worked on his cars in there. The guy thought to be the first owner was seen watching us and my father working from various locations in the shed and carport. He never did anything but watched. He supposedly died in the house in the late 50's from a heart attack and was fond of working in the garage.

3. Two boys in their late teens would be seen working on what looked like some kind of project in the basement. Sometimes they would be talking to each other. Other times you would just hear the tools they were using. My father kept all his tools in the garage so there was no tools to be used in the basement. We have no idea who they were or why they were there.

4. Our dogs, both boys would often watch and sometimes chase objects that we couldn't see. One time Schultz was running up the hall towards the music room after something none of us could see and the door to the music room shut suddenly making him run head on into it. No-one was around close enough to shut the door. But it shut and poor Schultz got a hard knock to the head and required 6 stitches to close the wound. After that the dogs were more reluctant to chase whatever it was they had been chasing.

I lived in the house until I went to college at University Of Tennessee. After I spent a year in Europe before getting my own place back in Nashville (1 bed apartment). My brothers and sisters lived there until they went away for school. My parents lived there until my dad died in 1998 from a heart attack at work. And my mom sold the place in 1999. By then I was living in Hendersonville, TN so my mom moved to a house just down the road from me.

We have no idea who lives in that house now. The family who bought it from Mom were called Fenning but they moved out after a year. Its had a few owners since. Pity really that it seems to scare people off. It would make a good family home for someone, like it did for us. But I guess some people really do get frightened by the extra people in the house.

JACQUIE.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, johnnycashmuse, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-29)
seano - couple of things in response to your comment.

1. Yes, this is a true ghost stories site.
2. If you feel like leaving, don't let us stop you.
seano (3 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2014-06-29)
Is this a true ghost site or a site for lynching poor people who have bad grammar or forget a couple of irrelevant days here or there - does it really matter? I'm getting bored of all this nit-picking rubbish already - sorry but just have your own opinions and leave it at that please or I'm out of here. Thanks but had to be said.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-23)
Glad to hear that, Granny. The mod squad stays dilligent, I see.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-21)
The_Dark_Knight - I'm glad to see you picked up on what I was trying to get across to you, without me giving it away at that time 😊 Next time, and unfortunately I'm sure there will be a next one because this person likes this game, we'll just nip it in the bud before it gets started πŸ˜†

By the way, welcome to YGS 😊
The_Dark_Knight (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-18)
BadJuuJuu- the story doesn't give off that it's fake at all so no faults to you. I would think if they were going to fake the story at least add a few head spins and green vomit for more entertainment.:) Miracles- I kind of caught on from your post that you knew it was fake and I'm glad you called her out on it. Cheers.
Argette (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-18)
Hi LouSlips! Just wondering where you were the other day.

There was something a bit too cozy and familiar about comments from the OP, too, that should have been a clue for me. Dang!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
10 years ago (2014-06-18)
If she had been the one to catch the resubmission, yeah Miracles could've deleted it. If I had known about the changes, I wouldn't have published it.
This incident has led to greater communication between editors. We now discuss what we've deleted, and why we've deleted it. Hopefully the increased communication will prevent this happening again.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+3
10 years ago (2014-06-18)
BJJ, I do not think this was your 'bad'. I don't think there was a way for you to know that it was a re-submission, was there? Or whom the original editor was either? Or that certain facts had been changed? Which leads me to a question: If Miracles had received the re-submission and noticed all the altered info, would she have been allowed to reject it? Or does this go under that 'gut feeling' rule? Yep, I be nosey! πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-18)
Hey Lou! Actually, it's been quite nice for a long time. 'Course, these things still pop up now and then. But what's a Mod to do? πŸ˜†
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-18)
Well, I am glad to hear that Marjie. Hope all is well with you and yours. See you in the comments section.
;)
Lou
shobha (35 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-18)
Truth will always prevail. Should I say GOTCHA! I think this story should have been sent to a magazine publishing fiction.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-18)
Lou - things have been just wonderful πŸ˜† and actually, it's amazing how it hasn't been the same stuff. Guess it's just different perceptions, huh?
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-18)
Same stuff, different day I see. Hi, Ladies, hope all is well with the YGS crowd.

Lou
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-06-18)
Argette: Amazing, isn't it? This one's been on our radar for quite some time. It's hard to sit and watch this kind of deceit without mentioning it, but we have to be sure. 😊
Argette (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-06-18)
I guess I missed all the drama here.

Sounds like the decision not to run this the first time was a sound one.

Something did seem off with all the OP's posts, but I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Frankly, some of the details reminded me of the poster from about 18 months to 2 years ago who wrote about a cafe in France and I think was a lady wrestler.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-06-18)
To those who have been following this story, and the "Fishing Shack Ghosts", johnnycashmuse aka Jacquie is now a guest πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
granny - you missed the flingin'...flung? Toss! I tried to wait on you, I really did but my patience (insert impatience πŸ˜†) was getting the best of me today πŸ˜†
rynne (69 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
Thanks for the clarification, Miracles. Was wondering too if mods let it pass and didn't catch it... All clear now. Sad though, really.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
I take it the Blankie's been flung? *sigh...

Google. Google is our friend. That, and paying attention to certain "tells" (and no, I won't go into those for obvious reasons) are all we Mods have to go on. I hope future posters, as well as "posers", take note that we do keep track of such things.

It's been a little while since this person made an appearance. I had hoped that we'd seen the last of him/her. If we're lucky, they've learned their lesson THIS time. πŸ˜†
Mossy_Oak_Queen90 (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
I know EXACTLY what you mean. 😊 You take all you can, until you can't take anymore. I don't blame you, not one bit lol
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
Mossy_Oak_Queen - you're welcome 😊 Sometimes there is a limit and I'd reached mine (another reason LOL)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
rynne - I don't think there is any need to worry about the name of the current owners. In the original submission, which was rejected, their last name was completely different so I think their privacy is safe πŸ˜‰
Mossy_Oak_Queen90 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
okay, good enough reason for me. Like I said I was just curious, it threw me off a little bit. Thanks for clearing it up for me 😊
rynne (69 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
Thanks for sharing the story, johnnycashmuse. Just a thought--would have been good to avoid putting the identifying details (last names) of recent owners etc. Interesting experiences though.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
selkay - you're right. I was being a bit cryptic, yet I'm sure johnnycashmuse knew exactly what I meant. My advice to The_Dark_Knight was completely sincere though, just wrapped in innuendos.
selkay (6 stories) (40 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
Miracles: No wonder I detected that your comments before the 'point out' was a bit out of sort from your usual response. Just a feeling I can't articulate why.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
Mossy_Oak_Queen90 - a couple of reasons actually. One of them being I was waiting to see if anyone other than us mods would catch on this to her this time.

Another reason was I was waiting to see how many more details s/he was going to provide that were different than the original submission.

Still another reason was I asked permission from the administrator of the site before doing what I did. Had to make sure I wasn't going to get my hand smacked for something I wasn't supposed to do.

There are other reasons that really don't matter, just as these don't. Not in the grand scheme of things. I did it that way because I wanted to. I'm tired of this crap. If people want to submit fake stories there are other places to do so. This isn't it.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
I published this, unaware of the changes made by the OP between submissions. This is my bad, but I won't be making this mistake again.
Mossy_Oak_Queen90 (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
Just because I'm curious, I have to ask this... Also keep in mind, please don't think me rude in any way but I can't seem to figure it out. Miracles51031, if you rejected this story already and the details were obviously changed then why is her story on her anyway? And you have commented on it quite a few times 3 days ago, so I'm also wondering why you wait up until 2 hours ago to call her out when it should have been done 3 days ago. Once again please don't take this the wrong way, I was just reading all the comments and it just confused me is all.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
Most members, even new members, when they've had a story rejected due to "Poor writing but suggest rework", correct the grammar, punctuation and/or spelling errors and resubmit it as suggested. They don't decide to rewrite the entire story, changing important "true" facts of their story as johnnycashmuse has done with this one.

Since I am the mod who rejected this story the first time it was submitted, I am aware of the details that were changed such as the date of the dad's death. In the original submission, the dad died in 2010 not 1998 as told in this story. There are at least 8 other details that were changed from the original submission to this one.

Future stories like this, from anyone, will be rejected as fictional because this is the very first thing everyone who signs up sees:

REAL, PERSONAL GHOST EXPERIENCE ONLY.
FICTION WILL BE DELETED.

How is it possible to believe anything that is told when the "truth" about one's dad's death is a lie? Y'all can believe what you want, but me? Nah... Think we've been down this road a couple of times.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: