You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: One Weekend In A Haunted Hotel

Real Ghost Stories

One Weekend In A Haunted Hotel

 

When I talk to others about ghost stories, it's usually the apparitions they see that scare them the most, or stick with them. So it's ultimately ironic to me that the one experience that truly terrified me, and ultimately has stuck with me the most was an encounter with a spirit I did not see, and never wish to meet again.

I live in Las Vegas, but my family and I regularly visit California. When I was sixteen, we went on one such trip and stayed in a Hilton within the LA area. It was a pretty typical thing with me that I'd get my own room attached to a main room, and then my parents would have theirs. Pretty simple set-up, and this time was no different.

At least, until I went to bed my first night there. That night, I had a lot of trouble sleeping, and I sat up, watching TV for a while before finally laying down and trying to get to sleep. Except that night, as I finally managed to get my eyes to close around two in the morning, my rest was disturbed.

Suddenly, I was hearing loud footsteps, and heavy breathing, like the kind you might hear from a patient in a hospital trying to gasp for air being given to through a tube. Or as I described it back then, very Darth Vader-like. I grew annoyed, and turned over in the bed, trying to ignore it. Granted, I figured it was someone outside making a lot of noise, and had no say in how much noise they made.

About two minutes into this, I realized that the noise seemed to be getting closer and closer to my bed. As a kid up until then, and even after this, I had had my fair share of run-ins with spirits. So I mostly tried to ignore it, because even though I had, none had really terrified me (other than a nasty run-in with two amber eyes at my guest bedroom doors at about age six or seven, but even then...).

I was not prepared for what happened next.

As the breathing and footsteps came progressively louder, I realized a hot, breath-like air was running down my neck. The footsteps finally ceased, but the breathing persisted, as did the air. My eyes shot open, and I immediately tried to assure myself it was the air conditioner acting funky. As my parents are non-believers and frankly had told me there was no such things as spirits enough that I could partially convince myself.

And then, I searched for the air conditioner. Only to find there was no vents near my bed. The only singular vent was on the other side of my room. The breathing persisted, but I didn't give a damn to try and figure out what it was anymore. I practically flew from my bed, threw on the lights, and all at once, it ceased. The breathing, the footsteps, and the hot breath down my neck all gone.

The first thing I did was run into my parents room. Needless to say, they were not happy to be woken up, but I had never had an encounter like this before. And I was truly PETRIFIED to the point of begging them to let me sleep on the chair in their bedroom, or on the couch bed in the main room, but insisting that I would not sleep in my room. Whatever was in there I could tell was not friendly, it wanted me to know I was there, and was trying to scare me, and I figured that was not the sign of "Casper, The Friendly Ghost".

My parents weren't buying it, and sent me back to bed, insisting I had a nightmare. But a waking nightmare? It was not something I believed. The breathing had continued, and the breath had continued long after I had opened my eyes. But reluctantly, I dragged myself back to bed, and managed to sleep with little-to-no problem, and no more breathing, footsteps or the like.

The rest of the stay was rather uneventful, with the exception of the feeling of being watched in the room. I was thankful to be spending most of my days at a theme park, so I spent a lot of time out of the room. And I was hoping that was the end of the terror after going a night without anything like what happened. Heck, maybe my parents were right, I thought, maybe it WAS a nightmare and now I was paranoid.

Then, when I was sitting at the desk in the room the night before we left. I heard it. This deep, deep cackling. It seemed to resonate through my room and shook me to my core. It only lasted half a minute or so, but it was enough for me. I didn't go back into that room until my parents forced me to that night.

Needless to say I was thankful to leave the next day, and put as much distance between me and whatever the hell was in that room as possible. Evil spirit, angry spirit, or demon? I'm not really sure. Though my friend thinks that it was a demon of some kind, I try not to dwell on what it was. I was just thankful that it never hurt me and only scared the hell out of me.

I have never had an encounter like this since, but I'd be curious to see what others might be able to make of this story. Perhaps, someone can give me answers about what I might have encountered or even shared a similar experience in a Los Angeles Hilton.

Other hauntings by Cman710

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cman710, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-22)
I am lucky enough to say I never encountered a spirit of this variety again.
spiritwhitewolf72 (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-21)
I really hate some parents who don't believe in paranormal which my parent same way when my dog bark at the unseening my step dad ask me what he bark at I say something that we can't see but animals can see then he roll his eyes and say he's nuts.

I feel same way about run out the room to sleep in parent's room and tell me to go back to my room where the scary things are.

I had same problem back I'm late 90's to see hooded figure in my room scare the beep out of me.

I hope you have not hear or seen those thing again in hotel room.
Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-20)
Ghost_Adventures_Fan: It was a while ago, so I'm trying my best to remember which Hilton it was. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Hilton where I usually stay as we usually stay in one room there. If I can remember, I'll reply here and tell you.

Pebbles_Keeper: That would make sense to me too.

Sheetal: Haha I didn't let it ruin my vacation luckily. XD But I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as I would have if I hadn't experienced this. XD
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-20)
Hi, Cman710 I can understand your fear... I can not sleep in new place alone... Hope you are safe... But this thing must have destroyed your joy of weekend...

Regards, 😁
Pebbles_Keeper (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-20)
Cman710
That was not a nice experience for you and i'm a little cross at your parents for making you go back to that room obviously petrified.
Well I have to say I am sceptical of the existence of demons.
I do believe there are low level spirits who were not nice or maybe even evil in life and are so in death.
They have not passed over fully and are stuck on a low astral level.
They scare, annoy and disrupt.
This is my view but I am still trying to learn so other views interest me too. Hence my joining this site.
Thank you for your story and best wishes. X
Ghost_adventures_fan (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-20)
Honestly, this would have scared the hell outta me, but I'm not one hundred percent sure if this is residual or what it is at all. It could be a mix of residual energy and an intellectual spirit, because feeling that breath is not residual at all, I can research the place if you can give me a name, pls
Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-20)
Oh yes, as I got older, I made a point of making SURE I couldn't explain what was going on. Since I've had so many experiences I know by now that once in a while it's real, and once in a while it's not. XD

But yeah, if I hadn't been so tired that night, I would pretty much have not tried to find logical reasoning either.

As for the demon or intelligence thing. I did leave out ONE minor detail that might help. I also thought I heard scratching or something of the like. Which is why my thought somewhat went to demon, because I was imagining a demon with claws.

I didn't feel I should mention it, as it didn't seem to really follow the noise. So I'm not sure if that part was me imagining things or not. LOL
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-06-19)
Well, I don't believe there's enough here to sort out whether it was intelligent or residual, let alone something as sinister as a demon. But you did try to rule out mundane reasons for the sounds you heard. *Tip of the hat to you for that.* Personally, I'm not sure if I would have done so before catapulting myself from the bed to the door.
Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-19)
Good point. I never thought of it that way but it makes sense.

The thing is though I got scared the piss out of it fascinated me. Since it was so different from my other encounters. Lol

I plan to someday actually request a haunted room in a hotel. But it won't be this one. Lol I'm hoping for a less scary ghost when I do.
Chels_paigee (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-19)
I don't think we have enough answers about the paranormal to declare this to be a demon, although it very well could be. Sometimes I think that they are just wandering spirits trying to get our attention, and sometimes to our dismay that means to scare the shiat out of us. Naturally something like that would scare us but what if it wasn't their intent? All I can say is, just be thankful it did nothing more to you!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: