You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Great Grandfather Making A Visit

Real Ghost Stories

My Great Grandfather Making A Visit

 

I have read and enjoyed many of the experiences on this site, and I was very excited to find such an open forum. I have always believed in ghosts, angels, demons, and the people who have come in to contact with them.

I have felt for a long time that I would eventually experience something paranormal. I will sometimes get seemingly random chills or strange feelings, and have often awoken to the feeling of someone nearby without being able to identify the sources of these feelings. I would like to believe that I am, by and large, a rational person but I also believe that some things are beyond explanation.

Thank you for bearing with my intro. This is the first post I have made personally. The experience I would like to share actually came to me from my Grandfather. He is the most serious person I have ever met, spending over half of his life as a naval engineer. The event took place in November circa 1970 on the East coast of Florida. My grandfather lived in Ft. Myers, Florida but still returned to the base periodically as issues arose.

During one such visit he was staying in a small apartment just off base. Around five o'clock in the evening he answered an unexpected knock on the door to find his elderly father standing in front of him, apparently for a surprise visit. He welcomed him in and they sat and talked, not about anything important, just regular shooting the breeze.

About an hour after his father's arrival the phone rang, and my grandfather went in to the kitchen to pick up the line. The apartment had one of those closed kitchens with bar seating that allows one to look out into the living room. My grandfather picked up the phone and looked out in to the living room at his father. His father was smiling at him and gave a small wave as if to say "go ahead". So my grandfather turned and put the phone to his ear. The call was from his sister, she was at the hospital with Mom, and she had called to let him know that their father had just passed away from a stroke. When my grandfather looked back at the living room his father was gone.

When my grandfather told me about this experience, he said that he had often thought about that night. At the time he hadn't given a second thought to his elderly father driving across state alone to visit him, or that the older man had asked for nothing to drink during the visit.

My Grandfather is a no nonsense, cut and dry man who has never lied to me in my life. I have never questioned his experience nor doubted that he believes in it entirely, and so do I.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jwarren, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jwarren (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-30)
Well notjustme,

I obviously cannot comment on how exactly my grandfather felt at the time, but when he told me about it he said that the entire experience was very peaceful and casual. I am sure he was shocked and sad to hear about it, but he said that it never frightened him. I think it touched him very deeply that his father chose to visit him.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-27)
Awesome story JWARREN! I got goosebumps (good goosebumps)
as I neared the part where he took the phone call, even knowing what it was leading to. That's quite the experience your grand father had, wow! I wonder what he felt when he found out and what he felt during the whole visit. Thanks for sharing! 😆
jwarren (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-26)
Thank you all for the heart warming responses. It has been a real joy to find this site and read other exeriences.

Ms_st0308, I am glad your Grandfather is doing better, it would be very interesting to have conversations with those who attend your own funeral
ms_st0308 (6 stories) (66 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-26)
This reminds me of my grandfather, too. He had been in remission from lung cancer for about 11 years when he found out he has cancerous tumors growing in his bladder. He has them removed about every 8 weeks now, and is slowly developing emphysema and COPD. But probably about five years ago before any of these other problems started, he actually had a dream about his own death. But the funny thing is, he saw himself laying in the coffin but he would sit up and talk with everyone who came by to pay their respects.
Pebbles_Keeper (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-26)
Sorry. Too many *despites* in there.
When a story touches you and you are busy writing a post in reply, grammar goes out the window ❤
Pebbles_Keeper (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-26)
Jwarren.
What a lovely story. I know this happened to your grandfather and was a visit by his dad. Still it made me think of my grandad whom I loved very much.
He died in 1987 but I know he looks over me, despite any bad choices I may have made in life.
Your grandfather was chosen and despite his logical personality... Receptive enough to have his dad come and let him know he was ok.
Best wishes x
Mossy_Oak_Queen90 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-26)
I fully agree with EllBell1415, it's a very heart wamring story. It actually brought tears to my eyes, because I would have loved something like that to happen when my grandfather died (whom I was extremely close to). I would have loved that to be my last memory of him instead of in the hospital. Very lucky man! ❤
EllBell1415 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-26)
What a heart warming story:) Thank you for sharing! I 100% believe this story and that certain things like this happen to people. It's amazing and creepy at the same time, lol. Take care!
-EllBell1415

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: