You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Woodsford Castle

Real Ghost Stories

Woodsford Castle

 

I've had a few weird experiences but this is the scariest. Me my sister, my parents, and my grandparents all went and stayed in a natural trust place called Woodsford Castle. It was really old fashioned with the decapitated stags and stuff, mounted on the wall along with chandeliers. In the visitors book there was loads of questions about whether the castle was haunted or not.

The room me and my sister stayed in was the oldest room in the castle. It was always quite dark and cold in the room even if we had the lights on and you always got an chilled prickly feeling when you were in there alone. Whenever I went into the room I felt an urge to leave and felt like someone was trying to make me get out.

One night I went to the toilet and as I was coming back up the stairs I heard footsteps clicking up the steps, which sounded like high heeled boots. This confused me a bit but I passed it off as my imagination and I walked back to the room me and my sister were staying in. When I opened the door I saw someone standing over my sister. It wasn't any of my family because they all denied being awake at that time. I couldn't see what she looked like because she was mainly a shadow but all I could really see was what looked like a long dress, suggesting she was a woman. As I walked into the room and there was a sudden chill and the woman vanished. I told my mum, who is a real believer of spirits and she said that the woman may have wanted me out of the room so she could be with my sister alone

But we don't know why she wanted my sister. We were all really scared and left a day early because we didn't feel safe. If anyone has any idea why this woman wanted my sister alone it would be really helpful to know

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Erinjanesx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-10)
Hi Erinjanesx, I don't think that the spirit wanted to be alone with your sister. It sounds far-fetched for me. You said that you discussed with your mother. But did you discuss with your sister? If so, what was her reaction? Did she feel anything at all at that point of time, when you saw the spirit standing over her. By the way, please clarify what you meant by "standing over her".

If you had happened to make some research about the castle, please do post it.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-09)
I looked it up online, and found reference to a haunted chamber. Perhaps that was the room you and your sister shared, Erinjanesx.

I have to applaud you for being brave enough to go downstairs to the bathroom at night. I saw a floor plan, which showed only one bathroom on what we Americans call the second floor, but the text noted there was a ground-floor bathroom as well. Not sure I would be brave enough to venture down there!
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-09)
I agree with Griff, many historical places have imprinted memories, (residual hauntings) but also have spirits too. Maybe this spirit was wondering who was in her home? Just a thought.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-07-09)
Hi Erinjanesx, welcome to YGS.

Wow, that would be intense. Did your sister also hear any of the sounds you heard or see / feel the ladies presence? And also, did she have the urge to vacate the room too? I wonder, what makes you think the spirit wanted to be alone with your sister? Maybe it was in a world of its own and it didn't matter who was in the bed, perhaps she appears when the room is empty?

I would do a little research on the castle, I would think there would be a fair bit of information available, especially being a National Trust Property.

I a not surprised you left early, I'm glad your mum listened to you, I know a lot of parents would have simply dismissed it as imagination. Thanks for sharing. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: