You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Scary Experience In Brittany

Real Ghost Stories

Scary Experience In Brittany

 

My partner and I have just returned from a week's holiday in a gite in a rather remote part of Brittany. The property was next to a railway line, being the former home of a signalman. Although the gite was cute to look at and reasonably comfortable, I felt rather ill at ease when we first arrived, particularly when in the main bedroom.

All was fairly quiet at first, but by the second or third night, we were hearing noises almost constantly, most of them extremely loud. We racked our brains for a logical explanation for these noises as we obviously did not want to believe that the gite was haunted. However, on the penultimate night of our stay, in the early hours, we were woken by yet another loud noise, which appeared to come from the wall behind our heads. As I was trying to come to terms with yet another bang, and still wide awake, I felt my left arm being lifted (I felt as if my wrist was being gripped by a ghostly 'hand').

At this point I was angry as well as terrified and pulled the duvet around me to keep my arms covered, to prevent it touching me again. This was the last incident during our stay, there being no activity on the final night, but it has certainly left an impression on me!

The owners of the gite had kept visitors' books and diaries going back to 1990 and one of the visitors (but only one) had left a comment referring to 'things that go bump in the night', so we evidently weren't the only people to have experienced paranormal activity but I do wonder why they chose us.

I imagine the 'ghost' was probably one of the signalmen who used to live in the cottage, and was resentful of the constant stream of visitors to the property.

Coincidentally, on two occasions we were aware of someone shuffling backwards and forwards past the cottage over the level crossing and then disappearing into nowhere. When we looked out, it turned out to be an extremely old looking man with a walking stick, apparently walking up and down for exercise. I did think he might have been the 'ghost' for a day or two but he was probably a living person who lived in one of the two properties along the lane, although we never actually saw him go in! By the way, one of the two properties in question was a deserted shell of a house!

Although I have always been very interested in the paranormal, this was my first encounter with what I believe to have been a ghost and I am in no hurry to repeat the experience. I left the gite at the end of our holiday with a huge sigh of relief!

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Brocky80, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Brocky80 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-09)
Hi and thanks to everyone who posted. Yes, the lady who was looking after the gite suggested that 'a mouse' might have made the noises, to which I had to laugh! Some of the noises were absolutely deafening!

I saw the 'old man' twice, once on the Sunday and then again several days afterwards, both times around midday. I tried to follow him on the second occasion but, although he could barely walk, I could not keep up with him and he just seemed to disappear into nowhere.

Yes, I was truly spooked, so much that I was petrified of going to bed the night after (we only had one night before we were due to go home). However, I had no intention of doing so (my partner did suggest it), firstly, because it would have been quite difficult to get on an earlier ferry and secondly, because we Brits are made of quite stern stuff and I didn't see why our holiday should be cut short because of this 'thing'. However, there is no way I would go back there! 😨
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-09)
Hi Brocky80, welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing. I go with Griff84 as far as the sounds are concerned. But as Argette said many others might have had experiences but might not have written them in the visitors' book.

You told that you saw an apparition like that of a very old man walking back and forth. I think that it might be a residual haunting, recurring on and on. But did you see the old man at the same time every day or at different times of the day.

As far as the left arm being pulled is quite scary indeed. What was your partner's reaction to this experience? You guys must be really courageous to stay there for one more night after this experience. I feel that there must be a presence in that gite and it wanted to draw your attention. Perhaps that might be the reason why it tried to pull your hand up.

If I had that kind of experience, I would have vacated the gite and got home immediately instead of staying for one more night.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-09)
Hi Brocky80, welcome to YGS.

The first thing that jumps into my mind is that this could have been some sort of rodent infestation, and they have gotten into the walls. The noises would be amplified because of the unexpectedness of them, and also noises at night always seem louder. With regards to your arm movement, could this have been almost suggestive due to your 'spooked' state? Just a thought.

Obviously the above are just thoughts, and probably easily discarded. It would be an unnerving experience because you were in an unfamiliar place, at a time you were meant to be relaxing. Thanks for sharing 😊
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-09)
Fascinating! Thank you for sharing that experience. I wonder if other guests might have experienced it as well, but did not refer to it in the guestbook for fear of being ridiculed. Kudos to those who did!

I stayed at a gite in another part of France and had no real experiences, but I took photos of the lower level - where I always felt a presence - and a friend who is sensitive got vibes from them that indicated something was there.

Very very interesting! Thanks so much for sharing and welcome to YGS.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: