You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Ghost That Helped Me Sweep

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost That Helped Me Sweep

 

This story may be a little bit lame and it is not at all 'scary' but it is somewhat interesting so I thought I would post it.

I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. During the first world war, on December 6th 1917, two ships carrying ammunition collided in our Harbour (the second largest natural harbour in the world). The resulting explosion was the largest man-made detonation in history until the nuclear bomb came along. Thousands of people were killed and the city was all but leveled. As a result my city is known as one of the most haunted places in North America.

One of the places that is renowned for ghost sightings is a restaurant called "The Five Fishermen" where I worked for about a year in my early 20's as a dish dog. The building itself was used as a morgue for the victims of the Halifax explosion and later the Titanic. It was also, for a time, a funeral home. (side note: The church across the street has the figure of a man imprinted in one of the windows, the window glass has been replaced several times in the past hundred years but the figure always returns.) Many co-workers of mine had claimed to see things at one time or another - a man in early 20th century garb walking through a mirror in the dining hall, pots and pans flying from the racks, etc. The building has been on more than one television series.

Anyway, I wish I had more of an interesting encounter but mine is kind of dull...

It was late one night, almost mid-night. The manager and I were the only people left in the building. She was in the office upstairs and in the back and I was cleaning the kitchen. I had just finished sweeping when I realized I had forgotten the dust pan in the prep room about 20 feet away. I set the broom against the wall, absently, and it fell over. I didn't bother picking it up because I was coming right back. I walked into the prep room, grabbed the dust pan, and returned to the part of the kitchen where I had left the broom - only now the broom was propped back up against the wall.

Super lame for a ghost story, I know! But I didn't put that broom back up against the wall and there was no way my manager could have done it.

Follow this link to see a picture of the building taken in 1917 surrounded by caskets following the Halifax Explosion. There's also more to read on this page about the history of the building.

Http://fivefishermen.com/history/

Other hauntings by Iwant2believe

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Iwant2believe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Iwant2believe (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-17)
Thanks for the comments guys. I'd really love to actually see a ghost one day but all my experiences are similar to this or something I could write-off as a dream. I liked your point Jayme about the broom possibly being a part of the person and something that they were familiar with.

I like to think there might be a more scientific explanation for ghostly phenomenon. If we are mostly water and our atmosphere is mostly water and our brains operate via electricity, maybe past consciousness could have left an imprint. The imprint may be able to manifest itself to our senses in different ways; we might hear a noise, see an aparition, smell or taste something, even feel someone touch us or a presence with us in the room. This is our brain registering, interpreting, and translating these signals -- or 'after currents' -- into something it recognizes. The only thing this doesn't explain are situations like my broom experience, where the physical world is effected in a deliberate way by an unkown force. Another pit-fall of this theory is that it does not allow for much sentient interaction between the physical world and the after-life, as millions of people claim to have experienced

I totally endorse Hali to anyone planning a trip, especially if you're into the paranormal. There are tons of inn's and hotels in the city that are said to be haunted and even a ghost-tour in the summer (though it's kind of lame). There's a lot of history here but make sure you come during summer, as Charles Dickens once wrote - " (Halifax) was a curiosity of bleak dullness.":) He must have been here between October - June, it's pretty much all one season of crap.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-13)
That was an "ahhhhhh" story! Totaly agree with Jayme. Thoughtfull folks are all around, we just don't notice because they're thoughtfull.
JaymeAnne (4 stories) (14 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-13)
I concur! Totally not lame. It's the smaller stories like this that resonate more easily with people because this is an experience we can relate to. Not every spirit out there is hellbent on keeping you up at night, and scaring the pants off you in the morning. Most are just people, and people often do kind things for other people like pick up their fallen broom. A broom may have also been familiar to them, and even part of who they once were as a physical person.:)
Thank you so much for sharing your "lame" story!
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-12)
Iwant2believe,
I didn't think this was 'lame' at all. I'd place it in my 'WTH' category 😊. It's these small unexplained events that gives credence to the hereafter activities. At least to my way of thinking. All too often folks seem bent on the 'poop-your-pants' angle for proof, that these go almost unnoticed. Thank you for sharing.
jwarren (1 stories) (23 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Thanks for sharing! I often find that the less fantastic stories are somehow more fun than some of the others.

To be honest your post really makes me want to visit Halifax!
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Hello Iwant2believe, I think the exciting, edge of the seat encounters are usually portrayed only in movies and television shows. Not in real life. Paranormal activities and experiences in real life are never dull even though you have stated as a super lame ghost story. Do you think that a broom being propped up against a wall when you left it on the floor is lame and dull. I don't think so. It is a good paranormal experience except that you didn't have that background music that follows such things in movies. Lol.

I enjoyed it very much.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Hi Iwant2believe. To be honest, I think I prefer stories like this one, it is so real if that makes sense. Its not that I disbelieve the longer, more 'Hollywood' posts on here (most of them anyway) but this is the sort of thing that would happen to me. It would just leave you looking at the brush in total disbelief trying to rack your brains.

Thanks for posting 😊
FirehouseDracula (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Iwant2believe,
It's no wonder you have so many ghosts in that town. I have read up about that explosion a few years ago and I was amazed and saddened by the people killed and injured in the accident and the damage done to Halifax. It would have been so heart wrenching for the whole town and those who died that day and later with the Titanic incident must have left an impression on the town.
And clearly some of them decided to stick around in Ghost form.
And you were lucky enough to have an encounter with one of them. That I think is fantastic and you were very lucky. Clearly this Ghost was a helpful one. Makes the encounter much nicer when they are of the friendly type.
I really enjoyed the Story too. Keep up the good writing if you have any other stories I'd happily read them.
FIREHOUSE DRACULA (aka Alex)
allisonbeckert23 (guest)
+3
10 years ago (2014-07-10)
Absolutely the most sincere of experiences, and these should be shared too. "scary" experiences are all in how you look at them, and your encounter is a positive one. Be grateful you could have such a helpful brush with the unexplained!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-10)
Your story isn't lame at all, and is more than somewhat interesting. Simple, but unexplained, is always the most interesting and the most believable in my book. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and the history, with us. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-10)
Iwant2believe - as with your first story, I really enjoyed reading this one. It may not have been one of those nail-biting stories some want to read, but these are the kind of experiences I have and, frankly, I enjoy them. They're part of my life and just make me smile, shake my head sometimes in bewilderment 😆, share with my friends and go on.

Thank you for taking the time to share this one with us. And thanks for providing the link. The Hauntings section was particularly interesting.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: