You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Skeptic Turned Believer

Real Ghost Stories

A Skeptic Turned Believer

 

When I was in the fifth grade I went to my best friend's grandma's house. It was a half day at our elementary school. Her grandma was working at the school until later that day, and her grandpa had gone into town with a friend, leaving just the two of us in the home. My best friend began telling me about weird things that occurred in the house. Pictures on the wall would be straight at night, then the next morning they would be hanging crooked. Other incidences occurred as well. The house was over a hundred years old around this time, but I was a skeptic. On this particular day, we were standing in the kitchen, discussing the strange things that my friend or her family members had experienced. I told her that I did not believe in ghosts. Within 10 seconds of saying this, the doors to the cup cabinet opened and slammed shut, and almost immediately afterwards the kitchen door that led to a back porch (right beside where I was standing) opened and slammed shut.

Being fifth graders, we immediately freaked out and ran into the living room. We jumped on her couch and heard the floor boards on the second floor creaking as though someone were walking across them. Shortly after, a baby mobile in the guest bedroom on the second floor turned on and began playing music. We ran outside and refused to go back in until after one of her grandparents came home. I stayed in the house many times following this occurrence, but I never experienced anything like this again. Other things have occurred in the house, but those are not my stories to share. To this day we are positive that there was no other person besides the two of us in the house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tcaroline, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-13)
I just picture whole groups of your friends ancestors with a sense of humor! The door right beside you. ๐Ÿ˜† But it probably didn't seem that way at the time. Lot of reasons for insomnia, hope all goes well.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-07-12)
Valcricry: yeah, sometimes people use their right to "freedom of speech" as a poor excuse for forgetting their civility, and kindness is mistaken for weakness, ๐Ÿ˜
nani1212 (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-12)
Sounds like someone was trying to tell you that they were there. Dif you exprience anything else of subsequent visits☆?
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-12)
Hi tcaroline, first of all, welcome to YGS. Like Miracles and Revajane said, when you were so vocal that you didn't believe in ghosts, the entity or spirit wanted to prove you wrong and so it exhibited whatever you experienced. But quite a way to change from a skeptic to a believer.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
foxstrod (9 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-07-12)
Hey Caroline, as you said that the family resided for generations. Another question arises as to whether these kind of activities started after the birth of your friend or it ocurred even prior to that. Cause it rarely happens that spirit of a family member does these kind of activities. If you are sure that it is the case then, in that case tell your friend to get the blessing of an experienced priest of the near by Church. In most of the cases as far as I have seen the spirit of the family member goes for his/her heavenly abode. But if the activities is even before your friend's birth then it's a different story to tell. Whatever the case is, keep updated and thank you so much for sharing
tcaroline (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Hehe, I don't see Nickideums comment anymore, but I get the gist of what he was saying. Nope, I definitely was not five when this happened and am quite sure about what I experienced. I've never been one to make up ghost stories (not even as a child), so this is no exception. Thanks to Miracles51031 for deleting it:)

Diablo- When I stayed over at the house we would try to see if we heard any foot steps at night (my friend said she often heard the stairs creak at night when no one was awake), but I never heard any footsteps or experienced poltergeist like activity again. We never tried communicating with the spirit. To answer foxstrod's question as well, we did know the history of the house to an extent. I'm not sure if her family built the house, but I know her family members lived there for several generations. A family member of hers had passed away in the house several years prior to the event. I guess we never tried to communicate with the spirit because we both figured it was her family member. We didn't have the equipment to do EVP sessions or anything of that nature, and I'm pretty sure we would have completely freaked out if we had asked the spirit to move something and had gotten a response.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+3
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
lady-glow,
Yeppers, I saw that. And it is sort of funny. ๐Ÿ˜† But in a way it is also kind of sad... I'll never understand the need to be sarcastic and quite frankly, mean, when it isn't warranted. I guess we could say that his error was kind of poetic justice, huh? ๐Ÿ˜†
foxstrod (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Hey Caroline, what I'm getting from your experience is that it could be a strong poltergeist activity. Have you tried to find out the history of your house from the locals?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
lady-glow - no problem at all, that was actually quite funny ๐Ÿ˜†
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Valcricry: this is part of a comment of Nickideums on another story:
"... Like I said before human eyes aren't all that reliable..."

He's right, that's the only way to explain the "five y/o fifth-grader thing" ๐Ÿ˜†

Miracles: sorry to add my two cents to the confusion, but I had to say it. ๐Ÿ˜ณ
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Sorry, y'all. Hate to confuse anyone. But Nickideums' sarcastic comments are pointless and of no benefit to anyone but himself. Therefore, I deleted this one and will continue to do so.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Nickideums...I'm confused - where do you see that the OP was 5 years old? 5th graders are usually 10-11 years old.

Tcaroline, sure sounds to me like someone wanted you to know that they do too exist. ๐Ÿ˜†
Diablo (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Have you ever tried to communicate with that ghost? Seems like it is something worth investigating. If I was you, I would be loaded up with the latest paranormal investigation equipment and recording my EVP in that house right now.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Nickideums, there is a link at the bottom of the page to our comment guidelines. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with those guidelines.
tcaroline (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Hi Revajane,

I visited the house countless since that day, but I never experienced anything like that again (I was never a skeptic after that). I'm not at all sure if this is related, but I now am an insomniac and become extremely anxious when I'm unable to sleep. The first night that I experienced insomnia and anxiety was in the house I discussed. As I said, this could be pure coincidence.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
tcaroline - your experience reminds me of one that happened to a friend of mine (which isn't mine to share LOL). I agree with Revajane. I believe that because you were outspoken in your disbelief, they were going to prove you wrong. One way or another ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for sharing this with us and welcome to YGS ๐Ÿ˜Š
Revajane (1 stories) (71 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Sounds like someone was trying to tell you that they were there. Did you experience anything else of subsequent visits?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: