You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Curious Incident Of The Cat In The Night-time

Real Ghost Stories

The Curious Incident Of The Cat In The Night-time

 

I believe I recently had a paranormal experience, though I honestly can't be 100% positive. You'll have to tell me what you think.

I live about two blocks away from a 24-hour CVS pharmacy in West Philadelphia and it's not too much hassle to run over there for random snacks or articles at all hours of the night. One night, about 2 am I decide I simply must have orange sherbet. Just one of those things. So I put on my coat and walk over to CVS and there aren't very many people in the store this time of night. I go over to the freezer section near the back, pull open the door to get one of those push-pops like you eat when you're about five, and as I'm closing the door, sitting in the middle of the aisle at my feet is suddenly this cat.

"Well, hello," I say, closing the door. I've never seen a cat in Cvs before. It was a little calico cat with a collar that had a blue tag on it, and she was purring a little bit. I kneel down to pet her for a second or two because it's 2 am and I'm about to eat a lot of sugar and this is such a whimsical, novel experience. I should also probably point out, just for posterity, that I don't do drugs. I simply work late and like orange sherbet.

But then, another customer, a lady, is headed in my direction and I figure me and this cat probably ought to get out of the way. It appears to me as though she too is looking at this cat, and even before I am quite able to stand up, I look back down to acknowledge the cat again, as if this lady and I are suddenly comrades in this late night oddity. But the cat is suddenly gone. Mind you, I'm in the middle of a long aisle, and I know cats can move pretty quickly, but I mean this cat was just gone in a second with nowhere to be found. And I look around me as the lady walks by, and I realize she hadn't been looking at the cat at all, she had only been looking down to avoid the gaze of a stranger in a narrow aisle.

I thought about asking the attendant near the self-checkout if she knew about a cat being in the store, but I was honestly too uncertain about what had just happened to mention it.

Other hauntings by IzzyC

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, IzzyC, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
Wow, that's a crazy encounter! At least it was a friendly kitty I figure. But still crazy.
IzzyC (3 stories) (13 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
I doubt I was all that tired at the time, as I usually consider 2 am pretty early for me. I definitely touched the cat. I didn't really think anything about it at that moment except I wondered why this cat was in the store and whether or not the attendant knew about it. It was only when it disappeared so suddenly that I wondered if something 'wierd' hadn't just happened. I was standing up to get out of this lady's way, looked up, then back down before my legs were even all the way straight, with my hand still out and everything, when the cat suddenly wasn't there anymore. It only took a second, and I stood there for a minute kind of dazed, looking around for it as the lady walked by. The thing about it was that the disappearance was so silent. That particular Cvs has low pile carpeting, and I'm familiar with the sound a cat's claws make in carpeting when it bolts. Still, it's possible it could have been a real cat that slipped in from outside, or maybe even belonged to someone who worked at the store while the manager was away. (Mice will play, and all that.) If it ever happens again, I'll be sure to ask about it next time!
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
If a ghost cat can assume a solid form for those who see it, perhaps it also assume solidity for those kind enough to pet it.

I have a friend who once lived in an old house and she swears she saw a solid cat sneaking around the baseboard and around corners. I have no reason not to believe her.

So yes, I think it could have been a ghost cat. Or a real one...
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
As a lucky recipient of a night time ghost cat visit I can relate to you feeling unsure of what you have seen lol! Sounds like you were just "about" to pet it but didn't get a chance because of the woman heading at you? Awesome experience, thanks for sharing!
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
Another ghost cat incident. Mysteriouser and mysteriouser! It could go either way. Cats can move pretty fast, then again the ghost cats all seem to be pranksters. Fun story.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
IzzyC - I've experienced the curious cat incident many times in my own home. Felt it rub up against me, thinking it was my cat, looked down, Rex wasn't there LOL Talk about a WTH moment 😆

I was thinking maybe the woman walking down the aisle belonged to the cat (since cats don't belong to us lowly humans 😉). Maybe the cat had recently passed, or maybe not recently 😕. Anyway, that's my theory. Thanks for sharing this with us.

(I like orange sherbert too so I understand the late night trip to CVS LOL)
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
It's possible that the cat jumped behind something or bolted, however unlikely it is to happen in matter of seconds. Seeming how you were petting it, it was obviously a solid figure.
It could have been a cat that wandered in after someone. A few lost dogs have wandered into stores in my neighborhood. If it is a weighted automatic door, they would not have been able to get in by themselves, but slipping in after people is possible.

When is the last time you had slept? Just ruling out any sort of tired mind creating images.

Ghost animals are definitely not unheard of; it actually happened to my sister when we were kids (we shared a room and she saw a cat we did not have, but I never saw it).

Definitely a bizarre encounter!

Best wishes

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: