You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: The Man In The Red Hat

Real Ghost Stories

The Man In The Red Hat

 

When I was about 3 years old (two years before my mother would explain to me why I had a lack of a father), I used to have my aunt watch me while my mom worked. According to her, one day I was outside on the swing set. I was singing, laughing, playing like any normal 3 year old. Except, that I seemed to be talking to someone. Being the only child in the house, I was outside by myself, and no other people were seen in the yard. This went on for a few hours until I came inside. My aunt asked me who it was I was talking to and I replied, "The man with the red hat." simply and she said I acted as if she was blind. My father always wore a red hat, and when I got older, I've even seen pictures of said hat.

I had several encounters like this when I was very small, some like the room being completely pitch black, yet I had light still reflecting in my eyes. This has happened with some of my family as well, but all years ago. My grandfather a while after his death, and my cousin, who saw him around the same time as this encounter.

On the night of my father's death (I was 6 months old at the time) my grandmother says that I stayed up all night laughing and reaching our to something that wasn't there. The next day my mother had found out he had died in a car crash. It seems that recently I've had other encounters, mostly in my dreams. I had one at the age of 8 of my father, and it was about bringing him back, and meeting him in Heaven.

The second, was about my grandfather telling me it was time to let go and find other things to focus on. I would really like to know anyone who has had any kind of similarities with this. I'll be sure to read the comments.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CcLoves2Write, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-27)
That was a wonderfull story of family bonds. And yes, I think family is always there to help. I've had a dear friend who had passed come to my sons and my aid in the woods, and a great grand mother who continues to teach me Yupic. But I still agree with your deceased grand father that it's good not to focus on them or you can get lost there, you know? Be blessed.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-25)
Hi CcLoves2Write, I feel that the love of parents towards their children persists beyond life and death and often, the parents, who passed on, visit their children or grandchildren.

Like elnoraemily, I am also confused about the eyes glowing in the dark. And you said that it happened with some of your family. Please clarify.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
Your dreams might be the result of you still thinking about your encounters. You say your dreamt of your grandfather asking you to let go and focus on other things I am assuming your life. The more you hang on I believe the more unsettled you will become and your loved ones.

I look forward to reading about your dreams.
Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
Wow, how sweet. I agree with elnoraemily, I like to think stories like this are parents coming back to be there for their child in some way. <3 A very heartwarming and sad story all at once.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
There a lot of accounts of children being more in-tune with what adults can't see. My question would be if you were shown a photo or saw a photo before you saw the figures of your family. That could have influenced your mind as a small child. If not, then I have no earthly explanation that I can come up with at the moment.

I've always enjoyed the thought that it could be family hanging around to do their part in raising the children. If this your experience, you are very lucky and should feel very comforted.:)

"The second, was about my grandfather telling me it was time to let go and find other things to focus on". This makes sense to me as well- focus on the living and not the dead. The dead, depending on your beliefs, will always be here, but your time on Earth is limited. Seems like good grandfatherly advice.


I am not entirely sure what you mean by the room being pitch black and having lights in your eyes. Did someone see your eyes glint or did you see light in the darkness? Could you elaborate a bit? (maybe I am just a bit dense and sleep deprived today and my brain is just not wanting to properly read things).

This was a beautiful account of family bonds and it was very sweet. Thank you for sharing <3

Best wishes to you
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
Hi there! Yes, I could somewhat relate to you because I have passed experiences with some loved ones that has passed on. Children are more likely to see the paranormal with the naked eye. I believe this is true due to the innocence of a child's mind. They don't know that they are not suppose to see that person and that they are not living. As we get older, if we still want to see, we often do in dream-state. I have posted story about my mom, whom I lost at age 8. The story is called "Unconditional Motherly Love" and "Here When I'm Needed", and "I've seen him and you're not alone" - all these stories are similar to your experiences. Have a great day.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: