You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: What Was Annoying My Dog?

Real Ghost Stories

What Was Annoying My Dog?

 

My story isn't the most horrible, eye-opening ghost story ever, But it's still something weird. I can't really explain it and I'm not sure if anyone can... Maybe if you're the next dog whisperer you may simply be able to ask my dog. Well good luck with that, I've had him for about 3 years now and I can usually tell when he's sad, angry, worried, happy... But not in this case. I can't understand anything.

Let's just cut to the chase, I was at a friend's house, 4 people were present and they witnessed everything. My dog isn't really social and outgoing, but he knew my friend very well and was starting to accept her. I managed to introduce him to everyone that night and after some episodes he calmed down and just laid on the floor.

Everyone was chatting or watching tv or the like. About 2 hours had passed with Spike calm and totally comfortable when all of a sudden his eyes shot open, he stood and started growling at first, becoming angrier with the second, growling turned into barking and snarling, he started trying to get out to the yard through the locked window, baring his teeth, barking so ferociously that a girl said he picked up rabies all of a sudden.

I tried to calm him with no success, in fact he was becoming more agitated. He managed to shake me off and started attacking the front door nearly displacing it. This is a powerful primitive dog that weighs around 185 lbs (he's a Central Asian shepherd imported from Bulgaria), he chose to totally ignore my commands and it was his first time doing so.

Eventually we opened the door and I went out with Spike (he was on leash), my friends had already checked the yard and found nothing. Spike tried to pull me out of the yard and towards a nearby park barking loudly the entire time, it was around 11:00 pm and the neighbourhood was nearly empty.

I dragged him back inside embarrassed, but he went quiet all of a sudden. He went back to his usual self and none of us understood what happened.

About 25 days later my friend contacted saying that another dog had the same experience at about 10:30 pm. This time the dog was a docile labrador.

We decided to bring spike back to her house and follow him this time. At around 10:45 he went crazy, I went out with him on leash, he dragged me to the park, he was so aroused that it seemed like he was chasing something when he suddenly stopped and went calm.

This kept happening for about 45 days when it stopped, yeah totally stopped... No dog behaved awkwardly in her house afterwards. The phenomenon just ceased.

Now I have to admit that Central Asian shepherds like most primitive breeds are very aggressive by nature, but I've never seen my dog like this before, and he was only like this in a specific place for a short period of time.

I've told veterinarians and dog behaviourists about it and they didn't offer convincing explanations. Some said it was coyotes some said raccoons, some said maybe a drunk was frequenting the place but none of these theories explains why a labrador that's not bred to be aggressive went crazy, and why did my dog stop all of a sudden?

Thanks for reading my experience. What's your idea?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Blackkey, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Ivanvreid (5 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-01-17)
Dogs can normally sense spirits better than humans do. They can also be possessed by demons.
Sandy1690 (21 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-10)
Blackkey yes you must be right. Now this problem has seemingly lessened too. Thank you.
Blackkey (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-26)
[at] sandy1690 I believe dogs can do weird things at times... Like those dogs that jumped from a bridge to their deaths in england. Like in my experience, we can only speculate. I believe you have nothing to worry about, it generally stops just as suddenly as it starts.
Sandy1690 (21 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-21)
I have a black Labrador and he is docile but sometimes barks madly towards "nothing" and seemingly chase it and then calms down. I never thought anything unusual about it. But now its giving me goosebumps!
thecurious125 (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-25)
I believe dogs are more sensetive to the supernatural than humans. They can see and hear things we cant. Now this isn't necessarily paranormal considering the lack of evidence, but it is definetly not normal.
Blackkey (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-25)
Griff84
You're totally right, and i'm not saying that the reason should be exclusively paranormal... But it's really weird I mean I asked the vet why I never saw the animal that caused my dog to go crazy (if it was an animal), he said that no coyote or raccoon would take its chances fighting a dog that's much bigger than the average wolf... I totally buy this explanation but what animal would always visit at the exact same time for over a month? Why did it stop suddenly? (it may be early to say that it stopped because I ain't sure that it won't happen again)...

But you said something that caught my attention, it very well be a late shop closing, that explains why it always happened at nearly the same time... A high pitched squeak coming out of nowhere all of a sudden is more than enough to drive a dog crazy especially a protection dog like mine... But why did he always head towards the park? Maybe the shop was near the park or something? I never checked that but I will. Thanks for your helpful comment.

Elnoraemily
Your explanation makes sense but why did it happen always at around 11 pm? When I took him out he looked to be in hot pursuit of something, he would sniff the air turn his head left and right, then go in a certain direction then sniff the ground or the air again walking in circles... He looked like a bloodhound tracking a suspect except he's not supposed to be a bloodhound! Nomads bred these dogs to stay close to whatever they're protecting because predators may try to lure them away from their sheep... One friend suggested that I let him chase whatever could be out there off leash but I would never do it, because what if it wasn't a wild animal? What if it was a person, someone's pet, or another dog? The last thing I need is a lawsuit and my dog being euthanized for mauling something he shouldn't... Thanks for your advices...

Otteer
Yeah, it is a mystery... And your explanation makes sense, it could be explained by a dog whistle, maybe someone was using it from somewhere near the park... Again I'm not saying that it's surely paranormal (I don't know if I really believe in the paranormal) but you guys are used to explain the unknown and I really need help explaining this, so I decided to share it with a lot of people which is what brought me here. I posted the story on many hunting and wildlife forums as well...

Spiritwhitewolf
Thanks for your comment!

There are 2 wired things; why did out always happen at nearly the same time? And why was my dog extra agitated to the point of going out of his way to chase what was annoying him?

Again thanks for the comments guys... I welcome any new ideas
spiritwhitewolf72 (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
Hello, my dog Mikey same way my family don't believe in paranormal but I do so is animals dogs can see something that humans can't see even my my parent think he bark at the bird but I notice he bark at the air so your dog made done samethings. I made not be a dog whisper but I could tell what going on when I see.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
Some animals acknowledge spirits or entities some don't. If there was some entity out there screaming, maybe it was one of those times that they COULD hear it and react whereas it was beyond your hearing. It also could have been a dog whistle, those make dogs go bonkers! Someone could have been messing with the neighbors although 45 days is a lonnnnnggg time to pull a prank.
It is a mystery! Thanks for sharing!
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
Dogs will react to things like that.
The vet very well may have been right. Especially that close to a park, the dogs may be seeing anything from a person, coyote or rabbit. They will want to chase it and once they realize they don't have a chance to get it, they will nearly instantly calm down.

I have owned many animals. This behavior, especially from large dogs, is pretty normal. All it takes it a leaf going by and my dog enters hunter mode. Once the leaf is gone, she returns to her normal happy dog mode.

Especially since your dog is shy, he may have been feeling overprotective of you in a strange house. Upon seeing what he perceives as a threat, such as a coyote, he would go nuts.

You should not be embarrassed about a dog acting like a dog. Take some treats next time and coach your dog to come to other people with the treats and use this as a distraction if he becomes protective again. Dogs can seem very ADHD. If he gets protective of you, offer him a treat and show him that all is well- that he was no reason to worry.

"None of these theories explains why a labrador that's not bred to be aggressive went crazy". Dogs going into that mode of behavior has nothing to with breed and everything to do with environment. A Labrador, a Pit Bull, a Dalmatian, doesn't matter, they all have basic hunter and protective instincts in their DNA.

Best wishes
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
Hi Blackkey, welcome to YGS.

I know a dogs hearing is a lot more sensitive that ours, and I believe your dog, and the other Labrador could have been hearing something which caused them to get agitated. What it was is wide open to suggestion, perhaps a homeless guy was in living the park for a while, perhaps some kind of wild animal was making itself known as already said. Perhaps there is a late shop nearby who closes up at that time in the evening, and the roller shutters emit a high pitched squeak, which has since been repaired, who knows?

Obviously its all speculation, but I do believe in cases like this its difficult to absolutely disprove natural reasons which needs to be done before supernatural reasons can be entertained.

If you have any more experiences please let us know.

Thanks for sharing 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: