You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Divine Intervention?

Real Ghost Stories

Divine Intervention?

 

My story requires a little summary of my life experiences and of who I am. Growing up I never really had a childhood. I was traumatized by countless events and forced to endure many others that more than half the people on this site ever go through. The experience I'm going to recount will really be nothing but something interesting to me. (I will explain later, hopefully. Please excuse my grammar.)

I have several paranormal experiences, but I will only recount the most important, which is my sleep paralysis. Of course, this sounds like a normal thing that often happens to unlucky people. But believe me, the events that happened did make me think it was more than just my body.

My family is an evil sort. Their aura is very evil. In fact many priests and sensitive individuals have said there was a curse in the family, which I believe to be true. My uncles were all jailed most of their lives for either murder, drug abuse and possession, or child abuse. The list goes on. But I think I could have broken the curse put on my family, at least for myself.

My night terrors began when I was about three to four years old. At which I was diagnosed with PTSD (again, troubled past). And they stayed with me until I was eleven. Years passed and I had the occasional nightmare that I would just forget in the morning. But the older I got, the worse they got. They eventually progressed to the point I would wake up sweating. (Screaming was pointless to me as I had screamed for years before in many countless dreams.)

The main experience I'm talking about started to occur around the eighth grade. My sleep paralysis had appeared much more often than usual and in every dream, the same thing. Eight to ten hooded shadows would appear before my bed, and I would be held down by an invisible force. Every night it happened there would be a struggle at which I would force myself awake. To force yourself awake from sleep paralysis is quite a feat, but I have learned to do it in an instant due to years of practice.

This encounter in my sleep would last for four years. And it would happen every day. Each time I would wake myself and believe it or not, almost always at the same time. The devil's hour. Regardless of the time I slept I would always wake up at this time (3 am). If there was an hour change it would be at 2 am.

So I go about my life, struggling to just go to school, endure an abusive family and have these nightly encounters. Well now here comes the juicy parts.

My life hit rock bottom in the 10th grade. My great grandfather died. My second father other than my grandfather. It was devastating considering I felt I had no one left to give me any form of support. I just wanted to give up. The three to four months after his death are, what I believe, to be the worst memories of my life. It's not really important for this story, but let's just note I cried every day for three years straight before I went to sleep.

During this time, the nightly encounters would stop coming. Probably because whatever spirits there were, were enjoying my misery. After I finally escaped my hell I would sleep to find nightmares of it or the usual encounters of the hooded figures (they were really tall, I would say about 8 ft). Each night I would wake up feeling tired of life and everything at the exact same time. Exactly 3 am or 2.

Well here is the experience that took me so long to get to.

One night, the year after I survived my "hell", the encounters happened again. This night the usual encounters came along and held me down. At which point I was struggling to wake myself up. But this night was different. They were there and I felt that if I looked at them, their identities were to be revealed. Well this night was the night they decided to force their way into my mind.

There's no way to describe the struggle. Being paralyzed yet managing to use your mind to fight back the monsters or demons that were slowly forcing their way in. I fought with all of my might, and I felt my mind caving in. I was beginning to see images, of blood, fire, bodies piled on top of each other and other things that I cannot remember nor want to.

As my mind was caving in, I noticed something at the edge of my eye, a pure white light was slowly getting brighter and brighter through the window in my room. When I felt that my mind was at it's weakest point, this light shone so bright that everything in the area was engulfed in it. I could not see a single thing besides the light. And the grasp those demons or monsters had on my mind and body was suddenly released. I was able to get up and wash my face with cold water. Believe it or not, that was the last time I ever had those encounters. My nightmares disappeared after that, and even many years after, I haven't had one encounter.

Whatever this light was, it was the greatest gift I could imagine. My mind was finally allowed to rest for once and not have to struggle with another fight. But with this light all serious encounters with paranormal events seemed to suddenly stop. I can still read people's personalities by looking at them and their auras, but I no longer sense entities around me (the bad kind). In fact I get the feeling that whatever this light was, it stayed with me and is protecting me from any soul or demon around me. Occasionally I would feel a presence of random spirits, but then they would quickly disappear, never to be felt again.

The thing I want to ask is this. What was that light, and why do I feel like I have a bubble around me, protecting me from everything. Should this be a bad sign? My mother says it was a holy spirit, but what confuses me most is why won't let any other spirits reveal themselves to me anymore.

I challenged my demons and won (literally). My nightly encounters were won with the help through that strange intervention.

I would sometimes feel a presence besides me, and it would fill me with a strange warmth of happiness. But that's all I would ever feel. Call me crazy, but all I want is an answer as to why I feel like I'm being protected.

I would like to thank you for reading this and say that I will be participating in the discussions as to what this light was and what I should do about it. Also I would like to say that I am not religious. I do believe in a god but I refuse to pray. As I live by the motto that god is to be respected but not depended upon. For the greatest gift is to stand on your own without support.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, IamDom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

frangelica1 (40 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-29)
Hi Dom,

I just saw your reply back to me and thought I would answer your questions with some of my thoughts.

I think the white light was a divine intervention from God or via his Archangels. Archangels are associated with certain colors or lights including white light (you can search Angelfocus for info on the Archangels). I also think of white light being a sign of protection from God. Whatever interceded on your behalf probably left a strong protective bubble around you and evil usually will stay away from divine protected space and people. Your mother either has strong belief in God which repels evil or her room likewise has protection around it from some divine intervention, which protects her there.

You may never know what the light was but obviously someone was watching out for you since it stopped those horrible dreams and experiences. I think your Great Grandfather is watching out for you and requested divine help for you. You obviously have someone watching out for you!

Continued Best Wishes to you!
IamDom (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-10)
Hi Frangelica1,

What you say makes a lot of sense to me. Moreso than many of the explanations I've been given. But here's the thing, the light technically didn't surround me like a circle. In fact it actually just chased away all the shadows in the room. So there was nothing but white light to be seen. I woke up instantly the moment that happened. If it was an archangel then I am eternally grateful for the aid I received that day.

Also I have a little question that's completely random. The room I spent about 6 years in growing up is completely free of bad spirits. My mother (who no longer has a room of her own) sleeps in that room and tells me that all of the bad spirits that scare her to death, never set foot in there. It's as if the room is a safe zone from anything bad. Demons would stand outside the door or window, but they would not have the audacity to enter the room for whatever reason. Can you explain why this is so?

Thank you 😁
-Dom
frangelica1 (40 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-17)
IamDom,

I am replying late because I was just able to read your story and I have to say that you are a very strong individual to have overcome all that you have and I admire you for this.

I know that you say you are not religious but do believe in God and I thought I would share some things I have learned by taking some courses to explore my abilities and spirituality. I am religious and was brought up that way and now am even more so since I have had some miracles happen that I believe you also may have experienced at that time.

I have taken some psychic and mediumship courses and have been truly amazed that we all have the ability to connect with others on the other side and have had miracles happen when I take courses based on the Archangels or request help from them. What all these courses teach you to start is that when meditating during the start of any of the courses or on our own, you always visualize a white light coming from the above and flowing through the crown of your head and flowing through your body through your feet and grounding you to earth and then visualize and feel this warm, bright light expanding outward around you as a sort of bubble protection from any evil that may try to harm you while in the meditation state. The bright white light you saw that surrounded you sure sounds similar to this bubble of white light that we visualize protecting us. Usually ArchAngels need to be asked for help by the person but will intercede on people's behalf when there is real danger that is imminent or maybe due to a plea from a great grandfather! It seems like you were at the breaking point where you were losing the battle with these evil entities and a Divine spirit, maybe an Archangel, intervened on your behalf and surrounded you with the light of protection. Anyway, these are my thoughts based on some of my own experiences.

I am thankful that things are better for you after this occurrance and sorry you had to endure such awfullness during your early life. I hope your life going forward will continue getting better every day and you remain the very strong person that you are. Best wishes to you!
mimerkki (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-30)
Hi,

I think you said a very important thing in your own update: the light did not come from inside you. During your very difficult childhood, you may have learned to trust in only your self. Trusting in any outside help is usually very difficult for such people, because of countless let downs. I don't know why you received such help, but to me it sounds something divine more than a human spirit. I have said it before, and I say it again: I think we are meant to live here in connection with ourselves, each other and Something Divine and it is not a show of weakness to ask help from somebody, be it your God or fellow people.
IamDom (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
To tigersgirl2014, it wasn't three months it was a year. And I don't feel like it was he who helped me, though I've never been gifted on that area to know got sure.

To everyone else
I was worried about recounting this online but thank you for the support.
The day my grandfather died I was in shock. I said bye to him the morning before it happened as he gave me a ride to school. He came to that night through a dream and told me to be strong. I feel that with my experiences, I best honor his memory and of those I love by being a strong willed dork.

The light, whatever it was actually came from the outside though. Not from within me, if that means anything. Then again I was paralyzed in a dream. Like state so Nevermind. Lol, before my great grandfather died though, many others I cared about had passed away as well (my family dies in bundles not alone). So the might could have been one of the many I feel. Well I'm glad I'm getting responses and for that I thank you!
rhejhen (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
Great story! Glad you've overcome everything. You're a very strong person. 😁
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
IamDom - Interesting account. I believe the light was your faith. Though you had a rough upbringing, deep inside somewhere you probably had the urge to be better and to live lighter. It is because of that will and that faith that got you through whatever it was you were struggling with. We all have that light within ourselves, I am not a religious person but I believe in the Light. Every night before bed I settle comfortably and close my eyes and start expanding my "light" and I fall asleep feeling, like you, protected. I always feel protected like you too. I have had a handful of experiences with the paranormal but still I feel protected. Keep it lit. Thanks for sharing! 😊
Jlobeats12 (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
I believe it was your great grandfather protecting you from the demonic sleep paralysis, and I also think that it took him so long to protect you because he was fighting his own demons of the past. You haven't revealed all your bad past memories or how your great grandfather was involved and I don't know you from the next stranger walking down the street, so you don't have to believe me but I think this is what happened: It sounds like your great grandfather was struggling in his human form, and maybe once he was released his orb was free to fight all of the demons he was haunted by too. His entity and soul is protecting you, and you feel happy because you loved him like a second father. Both of you may have been harbouring guilt of some kind and sadness which was inviting the spirits in. Just because you cannot see other spirits isn't a bad thing, it's because you don't need them any more to hold you back from your guilt:-)
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
Sleep paralysis is horrible to experience and terrifying. I am happy that you no longer experience that- stress is thought to be a trigger and you had much stress from the sounds of it.

😢

Stress and depression was breaking you and I am very happy that you overcame it, whether it was your own power or divine intervention.

I adore your personal strength, especially: " For the greatest gift is to stand on your own without support." Your courage is inspiring.

The very best of wishes to you ❤
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
IamDom, A very familiar reality. I agree with MissSkeptical, maybe an angel, Jesus or god, rescued you from this fate. What I will say is always ask your Angel for Protection. We all have one and they are just waiting for us to believe and ask them for assistance and guidance.
MissSkeptical (3 stories) (17 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
Wow, it seems like you've been through a lot, and I admire you for sharing that with us all. My personal opinion (from a Christian point of view) is that these 'demons' fed off your sufferings and it was almost as though they wanted to take you to hell? But as you're not a bad person something divine, maybe an angel, Jesus or god, has rescued you from this fate. Whenever you feel down just remember this experience and that you have a divine being with you, protecting you and helping you through life now 😊
Tigersgirl2014 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
Maybe the light is your great-grandfather. The part that I don't understand though is why it was 3 months before he was able to help you!?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: