You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Sleep Possession

Real Ghost Stories

Sleep Possession

 

This has happened to me quite a few times and I'm really unsure what to do. It doesn't only happen at my house but anywhere I might fall asleep.

Every once in a while when I am trying to go to sleep, I start to feel this pressure that doesn't allow me to move. Immediately I try to get out of the hold but it feels as though I am trapped in a type of cocoon. Then I try to yell to get someone to help me, but nothing comes out. I usually have to try to rock side to side until I finally lunge awake. Sometimes if I try to sleep again right away it happens all over again. There have also been times when I am with my girlfriend and I end up hitting or kicking her hurting her kind of bad, which obviously I don't like to do. But even if I don't hurt her, I still scare the crap out of her when I lunge out of this trance.

I always found this strange and a little scary but never really thought much about it. But I recently was talking to a medium who told me that it may be a spirit trying to take control. She gave me something to bathe in and told me to have an egg floating in the water. It seemed to work. But I had just started coming back. I think it is because of the sadness I am feeling right now. I recently lost someone close to me. I don't really know what to do about it. The medium told me that I am susceptible to these spirits because I have a "gift". But I don't know how to use or control this "gift".

I guess what I am looking for is some answers as to what this is, and how to stop it. And maybe even find out if I actually do have a "gift" and learn to use it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, B_sis15, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

bbydoll (5 stories) (43 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-06)
meditating before bed helps me alot, certian times of the year I get sp a lot, feel free to ask me questions, I tend to wait for more info before I give suggestions, but the people on here are great, and have great advice.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-30)
Dear B_sis15, welcome to YGS. I go with Surya and I feel that you are experiencing sleep paralysis. Please do go through the link Miracles has stated. It would give you the details about sleep paralysis.

Surya, beautiful explanation about sleep paralysis. I learnt something today. Thank you very much.

Regards and respects to B_sis15 and Surya.

SDS
Jitow (362 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
You are experiencing Sleep Paralysis. Go to stopsleepparalysis.org and you can learn from many others just like you, what SP is, how to stop when it starts, and how to keep it from ever happening again. As far as spiritual gifts, all good spiritual gifts come from God so naturally you should seek God through reading His word, the Bible and prayer and He will confirm the gift and lead you in its proper use.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
B_sis15 - and if you would like more information on sleep paralysis than what has been shared here, this link might help http://sleepdisorders.about.com/od/commonsleepdisorders/a/Symptoms-Of-Sleep-Paralysis.htm
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
B_sis15 - next time this happens try your very best to calm yourself for a minute and tell it to go away. Gather all the bravery you have inside and tell it in your head it is not welcomed and that you demand it to leave. Things like this feeds off fear. While doing this picture a ball of white light and expand that light in your head. Also, before you go to bed, as your eyes are closed, picture that white light and say a simple prayer in your head. You don't need to be religious for this, you are simply praying to Light and Goodness. Ask the light to protect you and ask all negative energy be gone.
I know it sounds simple, and it is, but it has worked for me. Best of luck!
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
When dreaming, the brain naturally paralyzes the body for safety reasons so that, for example, our legs don't move when we dream about chasing a rabbit. However, in rare circumstances, your brain can keep paralyzing your body although you're mentally awake. You thus find yourself lying in your bed, fully conscious, yet only able to move your eyes, as they aren't paralyzed during sleep. Since you're still technically asleep, you experience the same hallucinations that you would in a nightmare, only with your eyes open. Obviously, the panic created by the paralysis creates a mental state much more prone to create very, very scary scenarios. Sleep paralysis can occur before falling asleep or upon waking up, the latter being by far the most common.
B_sis15 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
I appreciate your reply an so quickly. One question you said that the ability to move your eyes is preserved. What exactly do you mean by that. Because during these episodes I have never been able to open my eyes. It makes it that much more frightening. And I know it has still happened while sleeping in my side. Sometime I even get the feeling that something is forcing me into my back?
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
B_sis15 it sounds a lot like you are going through Sleep Paralysis.

Sleep paralysis is often characterized by a transient inability to move or speak during sleep transitions. In general, the ability to move your eyes is preserved. Some people try to scream or call out for help, but this may manifest only as a soft vocalization. For example, you might only be able to whisper, squeal, grunt, groan or whimper.
Many people have a sense of suffocating or breathlessness during sleep paralysis, which likely relates to the limited muscles that are active to help you breathe. During REM sleep, the diaphragm acts as a bellows to help you inflate your lungs and breathe, but few of the other accessory muscles of breathing are active. Some people experience this as a chest pressure or as if someone is standing or sitting on their chest.

The level of awareness during sleep paralysis varies. Some people insist they are completely awake and aware of their surroundings, while others describe only a partial awareness. Infrequently, people may have an out-of-body experience, the belief that they are outside of their bodies looking at themselves.

Try sleeping on your side as sleep paralysis is more likely to occur whilst sleeping on your back.

Thank you for sharing your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: