You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Terrified Of The Dark

Real Ghost Stories

Terrified Of The Dark

 

Some time ago I submitted a story detailing what I believed to be my first encounter with the paranormal. However, recently I was told of an earlier experience, though I must admit I do not have any memory of the event. Again, because the information comes second-hand, I can only relate what I was told. I leave it to you, the audience, to decide what to make of this.

A few months ago at a family gathering, a few of my closer relatives and I began to relate stories of the latest paranormal experiences we'd had. After exchanging a few stories, my cousin brought up an instance in which, as a child, I'd seen a clown through my bedroom window at night. My mother corrected him, though with a palpable seriousness and hesitation. She said that I had not seen a clown, but something far worse.

First, a bit of background. This took place in the duplex which my parents and I had moved into while I was still an infant. Essentially since we moved in, strange things would happen. Stereos would turn on by themselves, even when disconnected. Often times we'd go out, and upon returning the television in the bedroom would be switched on to a static channel, with the volume blaring. There was also always a sense of unease or tension; I never felt completely comfortable in that duplex. Even the street it was on seemed to be bewitched.

In any case, the event in question happened when I was about two, on an evening like any other. My father would work in the evenings, so my mother and I would stay home, order pizza, and watch television. On this particular evening, my mother and I were in the kitchen where I would sometimes pull together a couple of chairs and sleep while she did laundry or washed dishes.

I decided I wanted to play with my toys, so I went down the hallway and into the bedroom. I didn't bother to turn on the lights because I wasn't afraid of the dark, and knew exactly where I left my toys. As I turned into the bedroom and went to get my toys, I saw something that horrified me and screamed. My mother ran in, scared that someone was trying to get in. She looked out the window and didn't see anyone. She asked me what I had seen, but I didn't respond.

A few days later, my mother understandably bothered, asked me again what I had seen. Again, I didn't respond. She asked if I could draw what I had seen, and I said yes. So she gathered a pencil and some paper and handed it to me. She said I drew a figure with a large head that tapered toward the chin and large slanted eyes. I believe that my mother was more terrified than I was at that point.

After that, my mother said I was terrified of the dark. Again, I must admit, I don't remember any of this. I suppose it's possible I repressed this memory, but that's just conjecture at this point. I've looked into methods to recall memories, but I'm not sure that it would be prudent to drudge up this event, if it did in fact occur.

Other hauntings by HazMan_III

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, HazMan_III, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

HazMan_III (4 stories) (91 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-31)
Thank you all for taking the time to read and comment on my story. I, of course, also have my reservations concerning the event, and I'll do my best to address them (and yours) here.

First off, mimerkki, I was also questioning whether or not I would be able to draw anything that makes sense at that age. Children are still at the very early stages of developing manual dexterity in their hands. Secondly, even as adults, people still struggle with drawing things accurately, though I suppose accurate is a relative term in this case.

What I state above, however is very generalized. I've come across many very young children, some even younger than I was at the time of this story, who can communicate better than a lot of teenagers. My mother said I could carry on a conversation with an adult at that age, but I think children are always brilliant in their parents eyes. Take that one with a grain of salt.

I would, however, say that I'm artistically oriented and fairly dexterous. I would spend quite a bit of time drawing as a child. I can't vouch for how good I was because that'd be a biased view. I'd like to think I would be able to draw what was mentioned in the story, but since I have no recollection of the event or those immediately following it, it's hard to say.

Mschichibi, I believe you're saying my mother suggested the idea of an alien to me, but when she told me the story, she didn't mention the word alien, nor did she say she helped me draw. She handed me a piece of paper and a pencil and asked me to draw what I had seen. She also seemed visibly bothered by what happened, even decades later. Sorry if this reply seemed a bit aggressive.

Surya, I had also given that some thought. But consider that there wouldn't be any glare on the glass coming from inside the room as all the lights in the immediate area (at least indoors) were off. There were homes next door that usually had lights on in the evening that might have illuminated the area where I allegedly saw this thing, but again, I don't exactly remember the setting on that night. Also take into consideration that this is an urban area, so it's never really dark like it would be out in the country. I do believe that it is entirely possible that I might have perceived what I saw as something other than what it actually was.

Miracles, that is very interesting. If in fact what your son captured was an alien, it may be one of the few legitimate pictures in existence. I would love to see it sometime. Yes, I also lament that there is no way to know for sure. I wish my mother had saved the picture, but I think she got rid of it. Convenient, I suppose. What I saw and what I drew may not have been an alien, but I'm certain my mother is convinced it was.

I think it's pertinent, so I'll mention a few things. A lot of friends I know claim to have seen strange things in the sky around here. One says he even caught it on tape. Once as I was walking home I passed my old middle school and overheard an officer and a man talking about what may have been a possible UFO sighting during the day. There's also been some unexplainable booms in the sky at night, but they're infrequent. Aliens or none, I can with certainty say that the city itself is a very strange place.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-31)
mimerkki - different people see different things. Just like ghosts in pictures. I can be looking at the same picture that zzsgranny is looking at and she immediately can identify what someone sees as a ghost. Me? Ha! Granny has pointed it out different ways and I still see nothing lol

Since I don't know what HazMan saw, I can't say. All I would be doing is guessing and basing it purely on the picture my son took and that would be wrong. What HazMan saw could be so totally different, even though it may sound similar.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-07-31)
Interesting story but I do have to agree with mimerkki.

Eyes can play tricks in the dark so maybe your eyes were playing trick on you.
mimerkki (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-31)
Miracles: How can it be either an alien or nothing? 😕and what do YOU think it is?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-07-31)
HazMan - what you have described sounds like something my little boy took a picture of when he was around 6. I've had many people look at it, some are friends on this site, and some are people who are very interested in aliens.

There is no way I can tell you what you saw and what my son took a picture of are similar, but the people who study aliens are convinced my son took a picture of an alien 😐 And then there are others who say it is nothing 😆
mschichibi (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-31)
Hi HazMan_III!

Too young to experience that thing. Young children can only draw what they have seen, through watching television shows, reading books or just by observing other people's actions. I think your mom knows about that but you just made it confirmed.
mimerkki (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-31)
Hi,

A two year old can very rarely draw anything that makes sense, closer to three, kids can draw heads and sticks as legs. On the other hand, if you were a talented drawer and serious about representing somethin you saw, I believe kids can, like aduls, surpass themselves. There is no way to "prove", that you saw something paranormal. What you saw could have been anything from an elemental to human to some animal. I guess your mom had to trust her gut feeling about this.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: