You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: August Rush

Real Ghost Stories

August Rush

 

In 1968, in a suburban town of Sydney as a child of just three years of age, I had experienced my first paranormal account. I was at my grandfather's funeral standing several metres away from a congregation of mourners, a little detached and oblivious to the ceremony itself. I did not really understand what was going on!

Gazing at a distance behind a family of mourners entailing a seabed of headstones, a couple of birds whistling overhead, a few scattered trees and a clear blue sky. Suddenly, something caught my attention!...I saw what I can only describe as this three foot tall imp looking figure not really human per se, although granted in shape with arms and legs and dark looking in nature, its resemblance was not too far off? It was scampering behind a domino of headstones, zigzagging itself from row to row. Perhaps, in vain, to avoid my attention, reflecting on this account later on?

As I was not really engaged in anything else, this odd looking creature had by now gained my full focus and attention and at some point, it came to a complete halt behind a headstone, perhaps ten metres away from where I was standing. It had completely obscured itself from my view and, for a few long seconds looking towards the headstone of which it was hiding behind), I was a little confused as about who, why or what it was doing?

A short while later, perhaps by its own nature of curiosity, this odd looking creature decided to take a closer look at me. As it tilted its head aside from the headstone, both of us made direct eye to eye contact, with my own intuition of curiosity suddenly turning to one of fear. It frightened me to such a degree I ran towards my mother gripping her legs and crying, somewhat shaken by my account.

With mothers doing what they know best, she cradled me in close quarters, calming down the flow of tears and eventually subsiding my thoughts on this account with an odd looking creature, although long ago still not forgotten.

August 2, 2014, 46 years later and standing in close-proximity to where I was as a boy all those years ago. The congregation of mourners long gone, including my dear mother, of whom is buried to rest not far from where I am standing on this fresh August morning. Not a lot has changed as I scour the scenery once more. Although some of the headstones have sunken slightly to their side and the birds overhead are many generations of ancestors later, I have always wondered about this account and what it was I saw? Your thoughts would be most welcomed!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Elilakra, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-09-12)
Maybe you saw this apparition because you were so young and innocent. Perhaps it was another child wanting to play? I was very young as well when I saw my first one. Like you, I was very frightened. No one believed me, they all told me it was just a dream. Maybe some of us have "abilities" we are unaware of. Great story, thank you for sharing. ❤
Elilakra (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-08)
[at] Clinney, that's interesting you say that about your aunt, my wife used to see a little fairy on the end of the bed when she was a child, so how is it kids can see what they do? I know it's a fact that what we see from the point of our eyes is only photons of light, the visual aspects of our reality actually plays out inside our brain, so you may assume with children there might be some type of component x thought x imagination interfering with the perception of their reality and that may be possible? Then again, a few hundred years ago, there was a group of natives, who from where they stood on their island, looking out into the sea,couldn't see a fleet of ships only a 100 metres away in the water?... The people from the ship, who rowed to shore were able to find this out somehow through a translator? So how is that possible? I think the answer is this, those photons of light we see, belong to what scientist refer to as the Higgs field, with in that higgs field, everything exist including the paranormal or other reality's that pertain to the after life... Because we are so conditioned with a belief system confined to Newtonian principles, we only see the things or extract the visual aspects on mass we want to because of that belief system... But just like the fleet of ships it doesn't mean it's not out there you just need to be open minded and I think with children they are? Anyhow thank you for thoughts and compliment, greatly appreciated.
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-07)
Hi
I agree with te others I loved the way you told your story it was very descriptive I was almost there with you... It reminds me of a story my aunt tells of her childhood, she was raised by her Dad with 10 siblings in a " no nonsense" family she grew up in a Scottish mining town and arrived home from school at around 3pm to find a short person who she the called a leprechaun at the top of her stairs he beconned her to follow him and she did... She followed him to her brothers bedroom (her brother was asleep having worked the night shift) and the leprechaun got under his bed and disappeared no one she told believed her and she's 60 now but still insists it happened!
Elilakra (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-06)
[at] zzsgranny,thank you for your reply, the cemetery is 286 hectares in size, I believe it is the largest in the Southern Hemisphere. Is it well tended? Some sections of it are, but unfortunately the older sections of the cemetery are a little run down, have I seen any other visitors? No,...hmm, This odd looking creature was childlike in size, I see what your getting at if other children were running a muck around the joint perhaps mistaken identity? I can't recall my brothers and sister being there or any other younger children thinking about it now, you make a good point about that tradition, it may explain why I was on my own, thank you again.
Elilakra (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-06)
Hi,Geiff84,nice to be here, thank you for your reply and no offence taken. Of coarse what you say may be possible, I was only 3 years old, cheers mate.
Elilakra (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-06)
[at] bbydoll,Thank you for your reply, I know very little about the nature of a fey or what they do, but I think you have given me something to think about here, as I do feel what ever it was,wasn't there for my granddads funeral? Thank you again!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-06)
Elilakra: Very interesting. I have a few questions. Is this a large cemetery? Is it well tended? And in your visits, how many other visitors do you notice?

I can't imagine that this would be a child running around because in that era we were raised to be respectful in cemeteries. Young children were very rarely, if at all, taken to cemeteries and I doubt if that tradition has changed much through the years.

I ask if it is well tended because I'm leaning toward some type of fey, as bbydoll suggested. I've noticed in my limited experience with cemetery caretakers that they are very passionate about their job. I'm sure they don't mind a little "help", no matter who/where it comes from 😆
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-06)
Hi Elilakra, welcome to YGS.

I enjoyed reading about your experience, I like your writing style.

I must say first, could this have been an overactive imagination of what was, technically, a bored 3 year old. I know some tombs & headstones have some very 'gothic' sculptures on, could this have not been something you saw, even subconsciously, and your imagination has done the rest? Also, over time, your mind would have edited and changed things about your experience to turn it to what you remember today?

I mean no offence, I'm just relaying the first thoughts I had whilst reading.

Thanks for sharing 😊
bbydoll (5 stories) (43 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-06)
very interesting, there are lots of different ideas out there. But there are types of fey that live in grave yards, mostly people don't see them for lots of reasons. But kids are more open minded, and more likley to see them. Just my thinking. But a very good story. I deal with some type of fey living with me, they are very curious by nature.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: