You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Hide And Go-seek

Real Ghost Stories

Hide And Go-seek

 

This is one of many strange things that happened in my childhood home. This house was was a very old two story wooden house or "Queenslander" as we call them in Australia. I was around the age of twelve at this time.

On this particular night my Aunty and Uncle had come to visit us and along with them were my four cousins from the ages of six to fourteen. My parents were outside on the deck at the back of the house catching up with my Aunty and Uncle, us kids decided that we would play hide and seek in the dark.

One of my cousins was elected to be the "finder" and the rest of us hid. Being my house, I naturally knew the best places and so I chose to hide between a linen cupboard and the wall of our bathroom with the door of the cupboard opened to create an enclosed space for me to hide. I could hear my cousin searching and the sounds were very clear whenever one of them was found, walked passed or talked.

After awhile I still had not been found and I realised that I could not hear them searching. I waited a little longer as I thought it may have been a trick to lure me out. After another ten minutes or so I decided that I will come out. As I was about to push the door open, in my ear I hear a soft giggling and whispering. It was almost like someone was laughing at me for some reason. It felt so close to my ear that I could feel it. I couldn't make out the words but they were saying something and laughing about it softly.

I assumed that it was my cousins on the other side of the cupboard though part of me felt it was something else, and the voice I did not recognise. It was a child's voice and I pushed the door open and walked out into the dark hall to realise that I was the only person in the entire house. At this moment I was quite freaked out and ran as fast as I could outside to where my parents were entertaining on the deck. As I got to them I could see that everyone was there and one of my cousins mentioned that they gave up searching a long time ago. I was speechless.

All I know is that there was someone there that night, and whoever it was... Was playing hide and seek with us.

Other hauntings by Jager

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jager, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-02)
Creapy. The Hide and Seek turned to a haunting experience.

Thanks For Sharing 😊
AUSTRIA (4 stories) (36 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-23)
Well I'm looking forward to it. I have a question though, does this boy ever try to hurt you or show that it can hurt you?
Jager (3 stories) (8 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-09)
To Austria. Yes I think exactly that, that spirit is a little boy who would have been around the same age as me and I will be writing about another experience that I had with him soon.
AUSTRIA (4 stories) (36 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-09)
Hey Jager, good story. I think that the spirit in the house was the spirit of a child who wanted to play with you. Because I've heard about children who died young and were not able to enjoy their childhood and so their spirit searches for children to play with. I'd love to get more stories from you.

Regards,
AUSTRIA
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-06)
Mimerkki - yea quite interesting and creepy haha. Playing in the forest now that definitely would be a thrill and a half. That reminds me of how me and my best friend used to run through the woods pretending something was chasing us. Now that I think back, what if it was... Dumdumdum hehe 🤔
mimerkki (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-06)
What an adorable story. I remember playing hide and seek in the dark forest many times with flashlights when I was a kid. Luckily nothing ever happened.

Notjustme: interesting tidbit about a ghost hiding a person. We have an old finnish belief, that a forest can hide a person from searchers, if it wants to.
oldbie (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-05)
Wow, frightening story!
I wonder how long had you been in there (dark hall)?
And couldn't you heard the sound that your cousins searching on you?
And can I translate and share your story on my blog and other community site (non commercial)
Jager (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-05)
Yes, I believe that there was a spirit or spirits there taking part and seemingly having fun or even being mischievous wich you will see in my future submissions was quite common in that place. I will be submitting more strange happenings from that particular house very soon. I'm going to be submitting my experiences in chronological order aswel. I'm 23 now and my last experience was about a year ago, so keep tuned for some odd things indeed. Thanks for your comments everyone and i'm always up for answering questions if you have any.
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-05)
Yikes! I don't know how well I would have fared in that situation after finding out I was completely alone! Hide and seek in the dark has always given me the heebie-jeebies.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-08-05)
I would be very creeped out. Thanks for sharing with us that interesting story. It captured my attention due to the fact while growing up, many chinese elders (i'm chinese) told us kids not to play hide and seek after dark because ghosts will always join in. I don't know if I believe this, but maybe it's true. Maybe it's just children spirits who also wants to play. I've also been told that sometimes a ghost will stand in front of you causing others to not find you. Just thought I'd share that to relate to the story. 😁
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-05)
I find this sort of cute, actually.

A child ghost who thought it was funny that you won the game.
Shadow_moon1 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-05)
Sometimes it's not good to play hide and go seek in dark because an unwelcome player will come and play along with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: