You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Reminiscence

Real Ghost Stories

Reminiscence

 

Hello. To anyone who has read my other stories (The Sick Man, Call 9, Jerry III), you know what I've experienced. A spirit, whom I've named "Jerry" (sort of a joke; I'm like Tom from Tom & Jerry, he's Jerry, and I'm hunting him) has been haunting me since I was very young, and almost right after my sister moved out. Well I'm going to talk now about some of those earlier encounters.

The guest room of our old house always scared me. By day, it was dark and scary. By night, it was darker and scarier. Not once could I look down the hall at the open door and not shiver a little bit. I always felt a presence inside the room that wanted to harm me, and ONLY me. Living in a family of three after my brother and sister left, I was always a bit relieved. My brother was the dictionary definition of a jerk, my sister was not much better, and I was screamed at almost daily for every little thing wrong I did. However, none of these hardships could amount to the fear that stirred within me, any time I would gaze down at that creepy, dark, silent, abandoned room...

Several rooms of the house caused me a bizarre feeling of dread that had no connection to the moment. Our basement, guest room, bathroom that connected my room and the guest room, and my parents' closet. I have had more than a few hundred dreams that revolved around these rooms, which seemed to talk to me, unlike a normal dream. I always wanted the door to the bathroom closed anytime I was in my room. Ever since I saw a shadow casting down from the other end, and both my parents were downstairs watching football. Not to mention I ran full-speed downstairs afterward, crying like... the kid I was. I had always had an active imagination, and I sometimes let it get away from me, but these occurrences were becoming too common. I had feared sleeping in my own room for several reasons: strange sounds (some of which were like growling), shadows, situational nightmares, silhouettes in my window, and the strangest was when I was trying to sleep; my eyes were closed, and suddenly there came what looked like this big, hollow, angry face glaring at me.

One thing I never experienced was sleep paralysis. That didn't come until eighth grade, when my worst experience with a ghost happened. That particular ghost whose name I've daubed "Jerry" may not have been the only thing I'd encountered in those days, but I could always see his shadow if he was around. Sometimes during the day I'd look down the hall at the guest room and see his shadow from around the corner casting from the window. Another time was in the basement. Now the basement is about 20 feet in diameter all around, with the stairs in the exact middle. There was one bedroom down there that was finished on the inside, and a long, dark, creepy passage that led nowhere, and had the fixings for a bathroom. But, we never did anything with it. Now then, here's a few things I experienced down there. The scariest part is all I ever saw were totally random hallucinations, and nothing with any explanation. A big face fades in and out on one wall and has big, bulging eyes. The light was on on one side, while the one on the other side was off, and I'd hear shifting footsteps there. I'd see a shadow casting down from the stairs and NOT hear anybody's footsteps as the figure turned to walk back up. Sometimes I wondered if my brother ever saw anything, because he was the one that told me about the weird shadow in the guest room (back when it was my sister's). But I was the only one that ever said anything. Of course mom and dad simply dismissed me as a "little kid".

Once in my parents' room, the lights were on and it wasn't dark or creepy inside. I was VERY young, probably only in kindergarten. So this was BEFORE my sister moved out. I was sitting there playing with toys right by the entrance door. The closet door sat just to the left of it, and it was always dark (except in the mornings when my dad got ready in there). As I sat there, I swear something very nasty started to crawl out and glare at me. Yeah it's funny, but it's no joke. I wouldn't be able to describe this thing now, but I only know it was definitely not friendly. And it wasn't so much a creature, but rather a presence. Except, it had a physical form. Crazy explanation: It was a demon stuck in our world, in our house, that hid in the shadows and only came out when I was around because I was a helpless kid. Reasonable explanation: I had an overactive imagination. You be the judge.

As far as Jerry goes, I never actually saw him until that day in eighth grade (The Sick Man) and he never left me alone after that.

So, here's one theory: Jerry was a ghostly victim of these demons I was always encountering and sought help from me, and stays with me hoping I'll keep the demons away from him.

Another theory: I'm cursed.

Another theory: I have an overactive imagination.

I'm guessing it's not #3, because that's just ridiculous. These are just a few of my many spiritual encounters in my youth. All of them took place in the same house, and ONLY I experienced them (to the best of my knowledge). Whether that's true or not, I may never know. My mom has no interest in talking about my childhood unless it's school-related or about a family get-together, or one of the many "cute" things I did as a little kid, but it doesn't matter. I know what I've seen and experienced. And I think this site features many people who have endured similar things. Whatever it all was, it still happens to me from time to time nowadays.

- CenterCore "Cursed" Software

"A man's worth is measured by his contribution to life, not withdraw"

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

Tammifire (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
I know that this is really late but I have to get this thought out. Maybe Jerry is just there to protect you from these other demons. I saw this thing on tv where there was an evil spirit trying to kill a lady but she had this picture of a soldier who would come and protect her even though she was scared of him.
revetwrot (5 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-17)
It could be the other way around, your theory on Jerry. It could be that whatever is in you house is malevolent, and that Jerry is there to make sure that they don't hurt you. The only other thing I can see is that all the activity might be caused by Jerry, and that he's just likes pulling 'pranks' on you.
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-07)
I gotta say, it's another great story! I'm heading on to the other stories now. So your parent's don't believe you? I encourage my kids if they see anything, which they have. I ask them for details and then casually tell my kids to tell whoever it was they saw hi for me. They say okay and that's usually the end of it. Talk to you at the next story. ❤
Cirdan (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-16)
Your stories are so good they are like from a horror movie, oh well. Are you sure no one else have seen this "Jerry"? Maybe they did see him sometimes and don't want to tell you?

Thanks again for this great story.
Cody13Smith (5 stories) (54 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-05)
if people stopped denying ghost stories or presences there might be less kids being freaked out and most likely less ghostly encounters
EF (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-01-30)
I feel a presence around me most of the time. It can happen in work, at home, in my car. I am not afraid of this presence usually, it's just always there, but there are times when I feel anxious or more fearful then others. I've had this feeling for years and i've now explained it all to my partner who believes me, but seems to be scared now himself in our home. Where did this spirt, if one, pick up with me, and will it follow me thorugh out my life. Is is trying to tell me something or warn me? All suggestions and advice would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers!
CenterCore (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-23)
Thanks Janice. But then were do you think horror movie ideas come from? hehehehhh....

lol anyway, thanks folks. I'll keep posting more stuff as it happens, so look for Jerry IV at some point.

- Core
Janice (7 stories) (248 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-01-23)
Hey Centercore, was up, is me again. Your story sounds exactly like something out of a horror movie, but don't worry, I believe every detail. Out of your 3 theories, I think that theory #1 is the best explanation, I mean the other 2 are possible(mostly because those things are some of the cases in encounters like this),but I think that after reading all 3 of your stories, I have to say the #1 fits best with all the this conundrum. I think that maybe another theory COULD be that there's probably to much bad energy in the house and it's starting to reflect out on life and starts to make hallucinations, I remember reading this in a book, but I'm not saying that this theory is 100% accurate, I'm just saying it's a possibility. Well, for now that's all I have to say, bye and thanks so much for listening.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-01-23)
Hi jamiekcheer, I must admit it's pretty heart warming to see people like you and CenterCore share a discussion on experiences that would probably be unthinkable with your normal social network of friends and family in "real life". This is what this site is all about! I'm just glad to see it in action. Hehe, keep on trucking.
jamiekcheer (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-23)
I have also heard sounds like growling, howlings, and scratching in my mother's closet. It sounds just like some animal is trying to get out and attack us. Your not alone!! I have a lot of stories if you want to hear them. 2 are called Many Ghost and The little boy in the sailor suit and the cloud man. There on here!! Remember your not alone!!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: