You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Old Ranch House

Real Ghost Stories

Old Ranch House

 

I will start this story with a little background of myself. As a child and in present, I have always been sensitive to the energies all around us, whether living or not. Even as young as 2 or 3 I have sensed negative auras from people and even some family members. I have had so many experiences growing up. This sixth sense if you will has never frightened me too much, and as I got older I found comfort in it. I will post some of my childhood experiences in the near future. I promise they won't be as long as this post.

Now my story as it goes: my husband, son and I recently moved after two long years living in this old 1916 ranch house here in Springfield, MO. It was a beautiful house with a basement, huge backyard and an upstairs. As San Diego natives we have always lived in apartments, so this was like a dream for us. We were in love!

The first month was all hustle bustle making sure all was in order (address change, school bus route change etc.) so I was distracted. After a few weeks when life had settled down a bit however, I noticed a strange energy upstairs that I simply dismissed as old house creepiness. I started sleeping upstairs in what was a loft type area that we made the guest/playroom, while my son\'s room was on the same floor it was an actual bedroom. I am a very light sleeper and my husband snores like a bear, so rather than enduring that sleepless madness, I made do and started sleeping on the guest bed. The first incident happened after the second night when I woke up to a thunderstorm in action. I was getting used to this and simply tried to doze back off. Tossing and turning a bit all of a sudden one of my son\'s toys went off. "Find the letter" it repeated over and over. I rolled out of bed and crawled over to find the dang toy and turn it off, but when I reached the source of my inconvenience it stopped. Figuring it was caused by the electricity in the air I really didn't think much of it. However the following morning I found the incident a little bit peculiar. I decided to investigate and went upstairs to check each one of the toys that make noise. To my surprise that particular voice I heard the night prior didn't match a single one of his.

I decided to let one of my dogs sleep with me upstairs. I know they can sense energy too. It was the fifth or sixth night in and I started growing accustomed to sleeping there, my husband would come up and say goodnight before he went to sleep. On this particular night I heard him walking up the stairs, he has heavy footsteps, so it's pretty loud when he walks up the stairs, or anywhere for that matter. I was facing the wall not yet asleep, and I was waiting for him to get to the bed. I felt him lean down beside me I turned around for my nightly kiss, but instead noticed a human figure dissipate right before my eyes. My dog sat upright growling and anxious staring at the exact spot where the figure had disappeared. I just closed my eyes and went to sleep. The next morning my husband said he had fallen asleep on the couch and never made it upstairs for a kiss.

If you were sitting downstairs you could definitely hear somebody walking around upstairs and the sound of someone having a conversation with others. Many times as I passed the bottom of the stairs to go into my bedroom I would feel something watching me. Now I am one to actually talk out loud to the energy that I feel around me. One day I spoke to it and I said with a firm yet gentle tone, "this is not your house anymore we live here now, you can stay with us or move on, but you must live here in peace with us." It seemed to stay but it was a peaceful energy after that point.

Though the energy in the loft was peaceful, my son's room was a completely different story. Every night one of us would go upstairs to check my sons pull up to make sure he didn't leak through. Both my husband and I felt a very dark energy up there. But it was only toward my husband and I, my son seemed quite content in his room. Whenever I was up there I would check him as fast as I could and then I got the heck out of there. I could tell it didn't want me in there. When sitters come over to watch my son it\'s pretty easy, they just watch TV, eat pizza and he sleeps upstairs without waking. A good friend of ours was sitting for us one night. She told me, from out of the blue a toy was thrown pretty hard down the stairs. It wasn't until a few days later when I was talking about the weird energy I was feeling in the house that she told me the story of the thrown toy.

We finally established a sitter for my son. She was absolutely wonderful with him, a college girl studying at MSU, bright, sweet and full of life. She adored my son. The last time she watched him I came home and she was pale and very anxious to leave. She told me she heard very strange noises upstairs and one of my dogs was growling at the bottom of the steps. She assumed it was the cat messing with the dog, but then she realized the cat had been sleeping downstairs on the couch the whole time with my son, who was playing quietly on his iPad. She went upstairs to investigate and of course there was nothing there. From then on she wouldn't return my texts or calls. Her boyfriend, who is my husband's friend, recently called him. My husband asked about her and he said that she was pretty scared the last time she came over.

We got very used to the strange noises, voices and energy we always felt and heard around the house. The house itself was falling apart, being almost 100 years old with little renovation, the floor was caving in and things just weren't working right, so we decided to move.

Last time I entered that house to gather the few things we had left, I noticed the energy as I passed downstairs to go into my old bedroom. It was so negative and so strong it gave me a complete chill up my spine. Whatever had been living with us was extremely angry that we were leaving. The energy was so negative that I had to get out of that house as soon as possible. I never looked back.

Occasionally though, we will drive past the house and I still get that very eerie feeling that something is now alone and depressed in there.

Our next door neighbours, who have lived in their home for 15 years, had mentioned that no one ever stays in the old ranch house for long, and apparently it stays vacant for long periods of time.

Of all the happenings that took place in that house, there is one thing that baffles me. My husband and I tried for 2 years to conceive with no success. After just 2 weeks of moving to our current home I got pregnant. We are thrilled of course, and I am now almost 4 months along. The peculiar thing is the house we now reside in is only a block away from our old house. Every time I passed the house we now live in, I would feel such a longing to live there. Like it was meant to be that we would one day move in. As soon as we started looking for a new place, it became vacant. The first day we moved in we felt right at home.

Other hauntings by Phoenix83

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Phoenix83, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Phoenix83 (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-19)
Interesting theory Anabelle. Thank you for reading and I appreciate your thoughts.
Anabelle (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-18)
I have been told that some entities have been known to keep young couples from conceiving. I'm not sure of the particulars of this theory, but maybe the guy in your old home liked your family exactly the way it was...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: