You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: A Bargain House that's Really No Bargain!

Real Ghost Stories

A Bargain House that's Really No Bargain!

 

My story begins when I was 17 and my family moved into a new house. My baby sister had just been born a few months prior so my mom and step dad wanted a bigger place. They never took my brother (he was 15 at the time) and I house-hunting so the first time I set foot in the house was the day we moved in.

My mother had bragged about the great deal they got on the place. Well, the moment I stepped across the threshold I understood why. The house felt very unwelcoming and I immediately got the sense that something horrible had happened there once. During the first weeks living there, I got more psychic input and pieced together what was going on in the house. A bit about the house layout: the front entrance of the house opens out on the right to a large living room/dining room combo. On the left, there is a hallway, and straight ahead is a sliding door leading to a sunken den and a Florida room that was added on later, not original to the house. At the far end of the den is the doorway to the garage. Down the hallway back by the front door is the entrance to the kitchen, the bathroom and my sisters room on the right, the entrances to my room, the basement and beyond it, my parents room are on the left side. The hall ends in a mirrored wall that would have been fashionable in the 1960's or early 1970's. The end of the hallway has a bad feeling and the mirror is creepy to say the least. If you are sitting in the living room you can see down the hallway and it feels like you are being watched. Often times I would be scared to look down the hallway for fear of seeing something there.

Now to tell you about the REALLY creepy part of the house, the basement. It is large, running the full length of the house. When going down the stairs, to the right is a short side with some storage and the washer and dryer. To the left of the stairs is the long side of the basement, which stretches back and ends in a part with a lower ceiling. There are some random shelves left by a previous owner, and nothing else in this part. My whole family would generally avoid this whole part to the basement but I never discussed with them why. From that part of the basement, I always got the feeling of being watched by an angry spirit, a man. There are also strange stains on the floor at the very farthest end by the wall, where the ceiling gets low.

The house has multiple spirits. I have never seen them, and only heard one of them: I once heard a little girl sneeze from the corner of the den by the garage door. I came to the conclusion that this was where the little girl used to try and hide from the man or escape from him out the garage door. I get a feeling of fear and sadness from the girl ghost, as if the man abused her and eventually killed her, I think in the spot at the end of the first floor hallway where it feels very bad. The little girl ghost seems to be mostly in the den. I cannot tell if she was his daughter or not. The man seems to mostly be in the basement. The other strange thing is that I can also feel fear there along with the man's anger and hatred. When I focused in on it, it felt like multiple dogs and I got a flash in my mind of a double row of kennels stacked one atop the other along the far wall. I believe that the man kept dogs locked up there and that he tortured and killed them. I can feel multiple frightened and confused spirits who can sense me back. It feels like they are wordlessly pleading for help. I felt sickened the day it dawned on me that this might be the source of the odd stains on the basement floor.

I never told anyone about these feeling and visions and left that house after only 8 months for my own place. I did not think about it again until recently. My baby sister who is now grown needed help taking care of my ill stepfather. So I found myself staying in the house with her for the first time in two decades. The house still has the same feeling to it and one night we were talking about how it felt odd and that parts of the house felt very bad. I had never told my sister anything about my experiences in the house. So I got a chill when my sister mentioned the man in the basement. I got wide eyed and gasped. This made her gasp too. She pointed at me and exclaimed, "You can feel him too!" I nodded, now thoroughly creeped out, and we proceeded to compare notes on our experiences.

I should mention here that most of the women in my family have some level of psychic sensitivity. My great grandmother, my grandmother, my mom, myself and my baby sister all were/are sensitive. I am also Wiccan and have trained myself to develop my abilities. My sister has no interest in such development but she is naturally very sensitive and intuitive. I often wondered why my mother could not feel the house as well. I think she did but ignored it as she was never really comfortable with her psychic abilities.

As my sister and I talked further, I noticed things she was doing instinctively to keep the male spirit at bay. The bad spot in the hallway is right in front of her bedroom door. Yet, my sister's room feels very safe and good. I think this is partly because my mother watches over her (our mother died when I was 20 and my sister 3). It is also because of my sister herself. She keeps a large white candle lit in her room whenever she is home. She also burns sage several times a week. And she does not know why besides she likes it, no one told her this might be a good ghost remedy either, she decided it on her own. She also mentioned that, growing up, she spent a lot of time in the Florida room and always felt safe there. This made sense because it had been added to the house later on, probably after whatever happened there. I was pleased to learn of my sister's habits and I assured her that she was doing the right thing to keep the bad spirit at bay. Also, she is very strong willed and is not a person easily messed with.

Sis next told me her experience with the man in the basement; that when she was a little girl she hated the basement. As she got older and started doing laundry, she remembers often being by the washer and dryer and being terrified to turn around because she could feel the man behind her, just a few feet away under the stairs, watching her. When she'd finished whatever she was doing, she would race back up the stairs, avoiding looking in the direction of the feeling. She also could feel the little girl ghost but not the dogs, though she sensed that something unspeakable had happened in the basement.

We got further confirmation when her boyfriend and his friend stayed over another night to keep her company while my stepfather was in the hospital. She did not tell her partner and his friend about the house for fear they would not want to stay. Still, they both felt strongly the bad feeling in the house. The friend was supposed to sleep on the couch in the den. But he felt so freaked out that he went out for some liquor and sat out in the backyard most of the night drinking and smoking, refusing to come back in the house and sleep until the sun began to rise.

I am not sure how to go about finding out if anything actually did happen in the house. Any ideas for how to look up such things as crimes committed in a house? I'd appreciate input here.

My sister and I have also talked more recently about trying to psychically cleanse the house but we hesitate to. My sister's energy has sort of put the bad man ghost in his place and he does not bother her now. We also have an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it attitude" toward him. We both feel clearly that he has a very strong attachment to the house so an attempt to oust the spirit might do more harm than good. Also, I read somewhere that you can "distract" a ghost by spilling birdseed or rice on the floor where the haunting is, that the ghost cannot resist counting the grains, but will loose count and start over repeatedly. We did this in the basement and it seems to have helped lessen the angry, threatening feeling in the house. Who knew ghosts had OCD?!

My sister plans to eventually sell the house, at which point we may have a priest come in and try a cleaning. If anyone has an opinion on that, please feel free to share! We are open to suggestions since my sister would feel guilty selling the house in its current state to some unsuspecting family.

Other hauntings by jjjjjjj005

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jjjjjjj005, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

melodie31293 (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-05)
Ive heard of rice sugar or salt beimg spilt to distract fairies but never ghosts! Interesting.
Spiritwolves (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-12)
You need father Bob Bailey! He is your guy! I've seen some of his work, and i'm just amazed, By this story as well.
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-07)
Pay no attention to the nay sayers. Some people refuse to believe in things that go against what they consider to be normal. I for one believe you because I too am sensitive and am a man. My father is also and it's a fact that those who are sensitive have paranormal experiences. I have all my life but I digress yes there are ways you can find out if anything has happened in that house. You could inquire with the local pd or search through old newspaper headlines in the local library

If anything serious took place there some records should exist
bluefoxx01 (81 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-24)
I agree with ohiowatha, you haven't even seen the ghosts, just claimed to have felt them. I think its just a pre fabricated story written to entertain the easily led. I know a presence can be felt but it doesn't tell you all about the the series of events. I think you assume too much. You should also look into the history of the previous owner, see what you can find.
crossingover1111 (10 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-19)
I for one believe your story since I feel hear and see Entities. Something holds this man here. It might be the little girl. If you can get the girl to cross over perhaps the man will leave. Crossing a spirit over can be simple or extremely difficult. One thing I do is to send them into the light
And ask my spirit guides and angels to help.
I have no religion since non ever suited me.
When you live with this gift (or sometimes not a gift) no religion can explain what has happened to me in my life that makes sense to me. These lost souls who remain either in one place or follow humans are just that "Lost" They need help to crossover. Sometimes just telling them to go into the light or that what they want or desire is in the light may work. I recently read a book on this. It has helped me understand more about these lost Souls that I encounter. Once I too lived in a place that had several entities in it, including a child. I knew this because my daughter who was two could see the young girl. There was also a man, I knew this because his presence was so strong. He had a lot of anger and would always hover over me in the hallway. What is it about hallways? I was scared (this was many years ago). I had my Morman babysitter and her husband come and bless the house and I called a local physic in my city and had her do whatever she does over the phone. Things calmed down after that but I did move out a few months later.
Was glad to leave.
katm72 (21 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-06-13)
I understand how it is to feel a presence & not always see it. I have to say this is the first time hearing about the birdseed & rice thing. Just imagining a ghost counting rice over & over again is hilarious. I love your story. I am glad that you & your sister seem to be ok with these spirits for now. It is a very good idea for your sister to get the house cleansed before selling. I don't want to offend you, honestly, since you are wiccan. I personally would get a priest or pastor & have them bless your home with Holy Water. That is, if you truly want this demon or spirit to be removed from this home. Your sister is a very considerate person for thinking of the new home owners to be. Allot of people would just sell the house not caring about its history.
Look, I see that you have some negative comments to your story. Allot of people don't understand your gift of discerning. I know exactly the feeling that you mean. The fact that your sister felt the same way confirms it. 😊
zoeee15 (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-06-03)
I think the story is good, and I know that sometimes you just feel things. But a lot of what you said seemed like you were making up stories to explain what you felt. Maybe I'm just better with facts. Good story though.
azul_0008 (2 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-05)
whoa...
So brave to stay in that kind of house...
Goodthing you both grew up safe...
Hmmm... Godbless... 😉
JimD (431 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-03-30)
Good idea. Use a lotta Catholic Holy water. May be demonic; on this one I'm not 100% sure. Catholic Holy water only affects demons, not earth bound spirits; so, it coulnd never hurt, but only help. Good luck and be careful. Demonic are experts at psyhological warfare.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-05)
Hello Jeanne,
You sound so much like my cousin that you have me guessing here, Of course, I have not talked to my cousin Jeanne for a couple of years, only saw her on Myspace once. That is how I found out she was married and had a child! Sorry, I just got to thinking there.
And about the exorcism, honestly, Jeanne, try the smudging. Blessing a house does work if it is followed by a good old fashioned smudging. I do not think an exorcism is in order. Do you think it is a demon? I say, go with your faith. Solitary or not, you have the ability to rid this home of unwanted guests and vibes. It is within your power.
Thank you for your story.
jailarson (2 stories) (21 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-08)
From what I have learned, exorcism is only necessary for a non-human entity, usually a demon. This does not sound like demonic activity. A malevolent spirit may be present, and there are people who can help you. There are guides who can help the spirit to move on, or drive it out if need be. Do some internet research. Child spirits are troubling to me personally. Many of them did not live long enough to gather the knowledge of how to move on, so they are stuck. Some malevolent spirits know what awaits them if they do move on. That doesn't make them any better in the here and now, however. But they manage to hang on here anyway. Child spirits would need direction, just as living children do. I am not a psychic, but I am speaking what I believe.
Kirby (5 stories) (57 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-08)
The solution is simple, to think about at least. But do not try blessing or cleansing the house. The ghost, will disappear for a few months or weeks. But they will come back, twice as strong and violently dangerous. If you plan on getting rid of the problum, then I suggest you talk to a local priest about an exorcism(sp?).
Good luck- Kirby.
ewash (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-06)
The only thing you need to know is that it is real to you and your perception of the situation is what you must live and deal with. No matter what the truth is, I wish you and your sister well on your new journey into discovery.
Sandy (3 stories) (48 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-06)
Your story was quite interesting. I'm not sure if someone told you this, but also going to your town's library you can look up the news papers. Get whatever info you can get from your surrounding neibors; this is so you can get a time frame. Good luck to you and your family...
jjjjjjj005 (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-06)
Dear Ewash & Ohiowatha,

Your healthy skepticism at my story are perfectly justified. Like I said before, I have not proof of what actually happened in the house. Thanks, Ewash, for the advice on finding out if my feelings actually bear a reflection to reality.

It is always difficult in these situations ot determine what is true. The thing that strikes me about my sister's house is the persistence of the feelings. Maybe they are not entities, but just reflections of what happened. Regardless, the persistence of the impressions is what made me tell the story. I cannot justify it further until I get more info, right? :)
ewash (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-05)
You asked if there are any ways to find out details on the house's past. Yes. A couple.
One of the easiest things to do is to contact neighbors who have been on the block for several years. Ask questions. Be nosy.
Another way is to go to the Town Clerk's Office and get a copy of your home/property record. It is public accessible. Once you have a past owner's name, it is just simple investigative work from there. You can research public archives in your area for unsavory history...ie. Police blotter archives, etc.
Hope this helps. While on the surface, I somewhat agree with Ohiowatha from a practical standpoint, I do not wish to refute your story. But I do suggest y'all do your homework before jumping to any conclusions. Good Luck and get to work and let us know, ok. :)
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-05)
This is a well-crafted little bit of writing. However, I think you're projecting onto the situation more than it is onto you. First, you admit that you have never seen any of the ghosts, yet you assume that one of the ghosts was female and victimized. Secondly, you sense a male presence in the house, but have no evidence as to why or how you arrived at that conclusion other than you are wiccan, which holds little credibility. Third, you assert that all the women in your family are "sensitive," but make no mention of the men. In fact, you don't mention your step-father at all. Furthermore, your father is entirely absent in this story and it's unclear how prevalent he was in your life.

It seems more like you are projecting your own gender issues onto a house that has no record of supernatural occurences other than giving you and your sister "bad feelings..." If every person who had such emotions decided a man killed a girl in the house in which they experienced said sentiments, the whole world would be "haunted..." And maybe it is, but I doubt your old house is part of it.

No offense, but gimme a break--everybody hates basements. I hate to quibble and punch holes in your tale, but this story lacks credibility in its current state. Perhaps if you fleshed it out with more specific reasons as to why you came to the conclusion it was, not only haunted, but the scene of a male-on-female homicide, then maybe it would hold more water. As is, this account remains shallow.
ferdi (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-05)
i don't like long stories, I usually skip them. But this is an exception...
it was fun reading your story.
keep it coming anne. 😉
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
You are more than welcome Jeanne. If I can be of further assistance, just let me know.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
thank you for sharing your story with us. How frightenening over the years this must have been for your family, wether physicic or not.

I understand you are Wican, and I certainly do not hold the market on faith, however, here are a few suggestion that may be able to help banish the evil spirit and protect your step father without upsetting him.

Place a cross in the basement near the areas affected. Take a Bible with you, read Bible verses aloud to the entity. Then tell it to leave in the name of God , it is no longer welcome in the home. Let it know you have the power as you are not afraid at all and want it gone in the name of Jesus Christ and God.
Also, Pray, Pray, Pray.

God Bless!
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
That was a great story, I've never heard about the grain or rice thing. I might try it sometime. Thanks for sharing.
jjjjjjj005 (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
Thanks Shane, for the further response. I read the article. When we can, we will try this in the house. I see why it would work so well. And I think it might bring the spirits of the little girl and the animals some peace as well... Free their spirits from the house. Bright blessings to you, Jeanne
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
Jeanne, I am a free spirit, my belief system really has no name. I believe all faiths lead to the Divine. I also have a soft spot for wiccans and witches. I have a lot of friends who practise both with a coven and solitary. I have always used the Native American Smudge ceremony. When done correctly and with true belief it works extremely well. Sometimes with very strong entities (I.E. Non human spirits) it takes a couple of times, but they weaken with each ceremony. Till they are banished. The one I have listed in the articles section of this site is one that I have developed for use, it is a combination of ceremonies from different tribes. I have used it in homes where there was no real haunting taking place, but enough negativity to charge the air and make it feel like there should be. They ended with wonderous results. The families said they felt like a great weight was lifted from their shoulders. I hope if you choose to use it, you will let us know the results.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
jjjjjjj005 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
Shane, I am curious what you would suggest to help spiritually cleanse the house. Are you a Witch as well? Let me know what you think would help. Blessings, Jeanne
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
Dear jjjjjjj005,

Looks like you have everything under control and have already made your choice how to handle your life living in a bargain house.--Abby
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
Hi Jeanne, welcome from all! This was a fabulous story. You write very well and this was such an interesting story. It's amazing what you can live with once you come to terms with it. I don't have any help to offer, but I like the way you have handled things, without drama. I'm glad you have your sister for support and you support her as well. Shane has some really good ideas for cleansing your house. 😊
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
I can totally understand your thinking. Plus without his permission to perform the ceremonies on the house it would in effect make them null and void wouldn't you agree. Thank you so much Jeanne for giving us your name it is much appreciated and easier to type in. LOL I also appreciate the info on the bird seed/rice. Always looking for new and interesting folk remedies and legends. Thanks again Jeanne for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
jjjjjjj005 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
Merry Meet, Shane. Ok, Ok, my first name is Jeanne. Thanks for the comment. One obstacle to blessing the house at this time that I did not mention is my step father. He is quite a cranky and contrary character and will not allow a spiritual cleansing. So, part of our thinking is that it will have to wait until he passes anyway. As for throwing birdseed or grain to distract a ghost, I found the suggestion online. It is apparently an old eastern european folk remedy. Not a practice of my coven... I practice as a solitary. And it seems to have helped. --May the Lady and Lord bless you, Jeanne
jjjjjjj005 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
Hi Martin, my user name is for my privacy. :) Anyway, thanks for the comment. As I mentioned in the story, we have not decided to cleanse the house yet because my sister's habits have already got the spirit at bay. Even now, the house still feels bad, but not nearly as threatening as when I was a teenager. I have a feeling that my sister developed her psychic abilities from having to contend with this spirit growing up and that she has developed the ability to keep him in his place. Like I said, he no longer bothers her. But if a new family took the house, especially if they had small children, we would not want little kids to have to go through dealing with this bad ghost.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
Merry Meet, jjjjjjj005, like Martin, love the story, hate the name. I would perform the cleansing ceremony, maybe have the house blessed by the priest and then follow up with a smudge ceremony. But that is just my opinion. I had never heard the legend about throwing bird seed or rice. Is that a common practise among your coven. Please do keep us informed of any further events. Lady/Lord bless you.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: