You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: The Wooden Canoe

Real Ghost Stories

The Wooden Canoe

 

This story happened 11 years ago. I was 20 years old living in my first apartment with my then boyfriend. It was a cute little layout very vintage style. It was on the second story just above a liquor store in an older neighborhood in San Diego, California. Though it was an older building, it always felt very peaceful.

My boyfriend Mark at the time was an electrician's apprentice and worked for a small but well known company. At the time it was just him and his boss and they were working on old Victorian houses in a nearby neighborhood just outside of downtown.

Mark had been with the company for about a year at this point and was working on a lot of jobs by himself. After a couple of days working on one particular house, it was finally time for him to work in the attic. The house was completely empty due to remodeling. When he entered the attic however, he noticed a hand carved small wooden canoe resting in a corner. It was about the length of his forearm and not too detailed. He thought it peculiar, but figured someone had just left it behind in a rush to get everything out and start the remodeling job.

He continued about his work but felt very drawn to the canoe. Later that day when his boss came to check on him, Mark showed him the little boat. He mentioned it was the only thing left behind and asked if he could take it home. His boss thought that was okay seeing as how the house was owned by the bank and everything else had been thrown away anyway.

Later that evening as we are settling in after work, Mark remembered the canoe with excitement and went to the car to bring it upstairs and show me. It was an interesting little carving, and I, being a collector of antiques, thought it would look fantastic on a shelf in our bedroom.

We went about our evening as usual. It wasn't until I decided to start getting ready for bed (washing my face, brushing my teeth etc.) that I got this overwhelming feeling, a very negative energy all around me. It was so intense that I asked Mark to  keep me company while I was doing my nightly ritual. After that we decided to go to bed, it was pretty late and we both had work early in the morning.

We both fell right to sleep, we were exhausted. But only after about an hour of rest did I wake up. I felt that extremely negative energy again all around me. I tossed and turned, I just could not fall back asleep. It wasn't like something was watching me so much as something was just very powerfully negative in the room. I couldn't even get out of bed to use the bathroom, as if I was hypnotized by this incredible energy. I fell asleep finally but only for another hour. The computer we had in the room was turned off because we rarely used it. When I woke up after an hour I noticed the computer was on and making all kinds of odd noises. The monitor was flashing on and off. I knew this couldn't have been possible because when I looked at the power strip it was turned off. At that point Mark was awake sitting behind me on the bed looking at me in disbelief. He told me he'd been tossing and turning all night and hadn't had a wink of sleep. We both went to the living room and decided to just sleep on the floor.

The next morning we were discussing our sleepless night over breakfast. We both agreed that it had something to do with that canoe. We also made an agreement to throw the canoe away when we got home from work. When we both arrived home that evening, I went straight to the room grabbed the canoe and we headed out. We didn't want to throw it away anywhere near us so we drove to the next neighborhood over, found a park and went to the first trash can we noticed. For some reason Mark was having trouble just putting it in the can and walking away. I tried to convince him that it was the best thing to do but he said he just felt wrong about it. He said he would just set it on top of the trash can. It felt very wrong to me to leave such a negative thing out in the open for somebody else to find and experience. I just walked away, I wasn't going to argue with him about it.

Later that evening I asked him why he wouldn't just throw the canoe away. All he said was, he felt it physically impossible to put it in the trash. That was as far as it went. Once the canoe was gone we never felt that energy again.

I'd be curious to hear some opinions on this. Thank you for reading.

Other hauntings by Phoenix83

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Phoenix83, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

angelina11 (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-30)
maybe a sprit owns that canoe or something. 😕 but what a story though. Very creepy
Phoenix83 (4 stories) (13 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-26)
I appreciate everyone's comments/feedback. Thank you for taking time out to read my story. It seems most of you are on the same page as far as opinions go.
MandyyNicole: I very much enjoyed your artist theory. I can relate very well coming from a family of artists.

Skeptic-Ari: I incite your awesome wording and truly look forward to reading some of your stories. Your delightful comment made my day. Thank you for that.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-26)
Oops...silly me... I didn't mean to incite but had no insight 😳
Hope it doesn't incite someone so much so that he/she finally has an insight that I am here to incite a battle of insights 😆

Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-26)
Dear Phoenix83,
Though it might have been a harrowing experience for you, yet it makes for a very thrilling read, albeit at the expense of wracking your nerves 😳
I am too inexperienced to provide any useful incite.
Thus, I thank you for sharing. This goes into my favourites 😐

Regards
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-26)
Hi, Phoenix83 Well written story, and scary too. It's good that you didn't get harmed by that. Thanks for sharing. 😁
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-25)
Wow that was spooky. Not the story, Badjuju's comment was like word for word what I was thinking. And I hope the spirit moves on,also. I also had a father who carved an umiac (canoo) for me when I was little. I still feel a pang about losing it and I wonder if he does. People get connected to things they make for someone.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-25)
Phoenix83: thanks for sharing such an interesting and very well written story.
I hope the canoe found a way back to the attic.😐
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-25)
My theory is, maybe whoever carved it wasn't in the best frame if mind. Maybe they were a very negative person, or maybe they carved wood when they were angry/sad to relieve themselves of the negative emotion. Either way, I think that canoe held onto that energy. You know how it's said an artist's work captures a tiny piece of their soul? Yeah, that.
A very interesting story!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-25)
Phoenix83- What a story! I'm with BJJ with the idea that it was in it's place where Mark found it. Only from the point that he (Mark) didn't feel any negative vibes from it while in the attic. Maybe that's where it was suppose to be.

Interesting how entities can be absorbed in an inanimate objects. One never knows what they may end up with from a yard sale or a find in a trash can.

Great read. Very well written as well.
Rachness (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-25)
Wow! Creepy story indeed. I agree with BadJuuJuu. I hope that no one else obtained the canoe, however.

Rach ❤
Phoenix83 (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-25)
Thank for reading Badjuujuu. You have a very good point about returning it to its original home. I suppose maybe that's why it was left there to begin with. I do like the idea however, that it possibly helped the entity move on to its next life. It may also explain why my boyfriend was so hesitant about throwing it in the trash.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-25)
Creepy.
Could be that what/whoever was attached to the canoe didn't like being taken from it's home and was acting out hoping to be returned. That's my impression anyway, and I think returning it would have been the best course of action. Easy to say though since I wasn't there lol. I can easily understand just wanting it gone.
I do feel kind of sorry for the entity, removed from it's home and left in a strange environment. Maybe though, taking it from it's comfort zone was what was needed to convince the spirit to find it's way to it's true afterlife. Interesting experience all the way around.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: