You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Sophie's Story

Real Ghost Stories

Sophie's Story

 

Jennifer and I are blessed to have a 6 year old Shih Tzu named Sophie. She is such a laid back caring dog that seems to have a connection to both Jennifer and I. She can tell when either or both of us are upset or mad. She'll be there to give comfort for those reasons or to give aid if we are not feeling well.

Ever since we have been at our current location, Sophie has had to deal with our "situation". Over the past four years we have seen her tucking her tail and running from one room to the other. As if something is poking/biting her. We, of course, will pick her up and examine her to make sure she is not being bitten by any pest.

Other times the three of us will be relaxed watching a show and she will raise her head up and growl at a different part of the room. And Sophie doesn't growl at all except in this type of thing.

All of the floors in the house are the laminated hardwood floors which Sophie finds completely ridiculous. She is unable to find any kind of grip if she finds the need to accelerate for either play or retreat. She reminds me of the cartoons as the characters run in one place, for a couple seconds, before they take off. We can usually tell when something poked her by the sound of her paws/claws make when this happens.

After about the second to third week after moving into the house we woke to the sound of this coming from the living room in the middle of the night. But it sounded like several Sophie's. As in more than one. We were flabbergasted. We were certain it wasn't her because she was right there in bed with us. This continued off and on for several weeks. On two different occasions I got up to investigate only to have it stop as soon as I turned the corner to see in that room. It eventually slowed to the point of a couple times a month, then to just every now and then. (It actually woke Jennifer up last Friday morning about 4am.)

So, with that being said, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Sophie has her own doppelganger. Now there is more to it than just the sound of her paws on the floor. Two different times I saw her from the living room come out of the bathroom, cross the hall and go into our bedroom. It was odd that she would be coming from the bathroom because I never saw her go in there. So I would go and look and she would not be in our bedroom. She would either be on the couch or outside with Jennifer. I shared this with Jennifer not to long ago and she said she has seen the same thing.

We have a pretty solid routine every workday morning. One of them is letting Sophie out in the morning to take care of her business. She goes out on her own and comes back up on the deck and gives us a little bark when she is ready to come back in. Very routine. About two weeks ago I was fixing our lunch in the kitchen as Jennifer was setting at the table watching the news while enjoying her coffee. Sophie had been out for a little bit so her routine bark was expected. I was three steps from where I was at to open the door. I opened the door to find nothing. Nothing. I walked out on the deck looking every direction and possible spot but no Sophie. I quickly stepped back in the house and asked Jennifer IF she heard Sophie as well. She confirmed that she heard her as well. She got up and went to the front of the house to look out the front door. There she was around 60 YARDS in front of the house slowly walking back to the house. FREAKED us out. There is no way Sophie could have barked at the door and be where we found her in the matter of 25-30 seconds.

So what does everyone think? Doppelganger? And if it is, is this the entity that is giving her such a hard time? I have only physically spoken out loud twice to whatever is in our house. One of them was to leave Sophie alone, which didn't seem to help. Poor Sophie, she is at home a whole lot more than we are. And by herself. Will appreciate any and all comments and suggestions.

Other hauntings by Wish-Not

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wish-Not, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CreepyBattenberg (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-04)
I enjoyed that wish-not thank you for drawing my attention to it! It reminds me of something that happened some years back when I lived at my grandmas house.

She had a small west highland terrier called bobby. She would always say how she would see a small white dog when she was alone in the house. I laughed at her telling her it was obviously just bobby. She told me that he would often be in his bed when she saw this other dog.

I really thought nothing of it still thinking it was bobby walking past her or something. My at the time girlfriend would sometimes stay over and when she did we would stay downstairs.

My girlfriend woke up and went to the toilet when I felt bobby walk up my legs and in the dark I could see him settling in. My girlfriend walked back in and I said "someones cuddled in". She told me he hadn't and bobby was still in his bed! I believed her after that although I concede it could have been some sort of waking dream.

As to what the spirits similar to sophie and bobby are, I wonder if perhaps it is another spirit attached to them, possibly a sibling that passed away?

I enjoyed your story!:-)
Shrutee (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-07)
Hello Wish-not,
Well, I am new here! And don't know much things about paranormal...
But I love dogs and feeling bad for Sophie: (
God bless her...
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
Hi Wish-Not

Growing up we had the same kind of thing as both of you with one of our family dogs. But our dog wasn't really scared of whatever it was.
My mum used to see our dog enter a room only to turn around and find the same dog sleeping in another room.
Mum believes that this dog was astral projecting or having some weird out of body moment because it always happened while that dog was asleep.
I don't really know what to think of it myself but it happened quite a bit. About 3 times a year average. I never saw it myself though, but did hear her bark once in the backyard while she was asleep by the heater. I don't know if there's a pattern like this with Sophie. A doppelganger would be so strange for a dog to experience. I'm not that well versed on doppelgangers but god that would be weird for poor Sophie!
There could also be another dog in your home, or more than one. This could account for what you both heard with multiple dogs running. Dogs of previous tenants/owners perhaps.

Hahaha, 'tis the first of April so this post will probably be filled with goofy words for a while. 😜
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
Hey Kimmie- Yea, it's an on going thing for Sophie I guess. We still have no idea what she has to put up with while we are working.

A doppelganger is an entity that will take the form of a person or animal in this case. They will be able to mimic their voice as well. There are fuller descriptions available online. Some believe that they will be the evil of the other, something like that.

I appreciate your time reading and commenting.
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
I too have a brand new Shih Tzu puppy named Truffles. We also have a toy poodle. I don't know much terminology in regards to the paranormal, therefor, I have never heard of a doppleganger. I take it that that is something taking the form of something eles? Please excuse my ignorance (how embarrassing). In that case... I have had experiences with them. I will get to that story later on. Poor Sophie... VERY creepy experience in deed.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-18)
Thanks Ceciline, It's hard to say if things have gotten better for her. She is at home by herself so much. She is so jumpy at certain noises, common noises. Well common for us. I have scolded our "guest" before about messing with her. Might ought to do it again. It worked with our smoke alarm so maybe it will listen this time.

Thanks for reading and commenting. Appreciate your time and wisdom.
ceciline (5 stories) (13 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-17)
Hi, I hope things get better, poor Sophie. I don't think it's a doppelganger, more of a ghost or something like that that likes to imitate her. Doppelgangers just mind their own business, it's like they ARE the same person. But this thing is bothering Sophie. I do hope it goes away, dogs are so innocent.
Sandy1690 (21 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-10)
I wish peace to your sophie. Try to follow her each time you see something odd. Keep her close to you. And whisper to God what ever questions you may have. I recite HANUMAN CHALISA and trust me it works like magic.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-02)
Hi, Wish-not... Nice story I am agree with the other posters here... 😁
Brooke720 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-31)
Hello wish-not, like the others said... I would definitely try to use a camera and put it on video to try to capture the motion that possibly could be bugging your dog Sophie, because some people who can't quite see the paranormal, can sometimes see the motion or energy on video. If that doesn't work try praying with your dog and tell the person/creature that is at your home to go to the light... Pray to Jesus and god that they will keep you and your dog safe and sound!
Best wishes
~Brooke
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-28)
Thanks Rachness, logan, Sophie is a sweety. We have thought about a camera however that's about as far as we got. I have thought about a medium as well. Would like to know about ALL of our guest. Even if there is only one that is doing all the different things.

I'm unclear if one entity can act as a doppelganger and make sounds, move things and do all the different things that go on inside and outside of our house. Or are there multiples that we are dealing with.
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-28)
Can I suggest a camera to record the goings on while you guys at work... May kind of help to reassure you (or not) on things that probably happen in your absence. Poor Sophie, sounds like such a good girl!
Rachness (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-27)
Aww, I feel so sorry for little Sophie. Maybe you could try and contact a psychic/medium and ask their opinions just for some insight. Whatever this thing is, I hope that it doesn't harm any of you, especially poor Sophie.

I hope you're well.

Rach ❤
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-27)
Well Jennifer corrected me on something. Sophie will be 8 years old this October. She also reminded me that this past weekend something scared Sophie enough that she was shaking and wouldn't leave our feet for a few hours. Poor thing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: