You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Grave Yard

Real Ghost Stories

The Grave Yard

 

We all know that all grave yards are haunted in one form or another, but they also have a variety of sprites. This happened when I was about 15. My sister and I were going to hang out with a bunch of friends. Mind that we have always known about this place, but were told never to go there... EVER.

Our friends pick us up and we go to the grave yard, we stay for quite awhile, and it starts to get dark as it was, this place had a sense of foreboding. Well here we are having a blast when weird things start happening, some rocks start flying at us, we looked at our friends and told them to stop that they weren't funny, they said it wasn't them. So we went about our little tour and I happen across a grave that is from like the 1700s, wow that had to be the neatest thing I've ever seen. As I'm studying this grave I hear my sister and my friend chris scream bloody murder! So with flashlight in hand I start running to see what's going on, I stopped dead in my tracks when I looked to see what made them scream.

There in a big oak tree was a person hanging with the most horrible look on his face. You could see every detail of him from the noose to his shoes (which were very old). Then as we were going to the car to leave (at this point we had enough) a huge fog passed the car. This was one of the most terrifying night of my life! I will tell more about this place, because as a teen I didn't learn very well about what not to do. Now I don't go near that place at all, last time I was there my husband decided to be cute and prove to me that it runs from the road, it starts on to the main road (I already knew this).

He takes me through and I'm freaking out, I keep feeling like something bad is going to happen and the whole time I'm telling him this he's like "no we're fine". Well we got stuck in some deep mud! So I start praying my little heart out and saying the psalms, crying my eyes out the whole time. Now karma gets him, as I'm starting to see little clouds. He's outside of the truck and is trying to get us out when he jumps back in freaking out. "What's wrong?" I ask, his response was "something grabbed me!"

He learned that night there was something wrong with that place. We don't even talk about it anymore. I hope every one likes this story. As for the grave yard, its ghosts were treated like really bad when they were alive so I guess that's why they linger still.

Other hauntings by haleybug

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, haleybug, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
lol...Got to love karma. Most older grave yards have more of a story to them. Up the road from my home is an indian/african american cemetary. Its more peaceful though, then the all white cemetary 2 miles away from my house.
Francois (220 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
Dear haleybug,

Not all graveyards are haunted, in fact many hospitals, houses and morgues are considered to have a higher level of ghostly activity than cemeteries.

However, some cemeteries like the one you visited or Greyfriars Kirkyard in Edinburgh, Scotland may have had a long and bloody history allowing spirits to choose that certain place as a dwelling area and I believe some spirits don't like being disturbed in their own abode.

Your story is quite frightening, I could never imagine myself in a haunted cemetery at night without 5 shopping bags full of religious items and a human decoy in case something bad happens. Just kidding. I enjoyed the story very much and I hope nothing followed you or your husband home.

Thank you again for posting your experience and sharing it with the yourghoststories community. God bless you and take care.

Sincerely,

Francois
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
I just read this story. It's a good one. I certainly know the dead don't like there place of peace or not messed with. I have a story to write about something that happen to me long ago too... Good story.
Miss_Codi_47 (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-10)
I really enjoyed this story. It got me going, shivers and stuff 😁
My friend and I once went to a graveyard to pay our respects to some people whos gravestones had been destroyed by drunken vandels. I throughout the whole experience had an awful feeling about it all but all went well expect for the fact a dog followed us to the cemetry but refused to come in? Anyway Graveyards are frighting things and your fairly brave to go back with your husband.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-09)
Haleylbug, thank you for sharing your experience with us and clarifing the situation with your comment. As I too was a bit confused until I read the comments. Thanks again.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Abercrombie (2 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-08)
I have read your story once before, but just now noticed something. Will you please describe the man's physical features? And, FYI, Count Dracula can travel as a mist or fog. I very much believe that vampires still exist, and how they can travel, as wolves, bats or what I mentioned. Good luck! ❤
Sandy (3 stories) (48 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-08)
Haleybug, wow what a great story! I bet that was so scary seeing that person hanging there. I bet your husband has a different view on haughting cemetary's now 😁 Thank you for sharing your story with us ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-08)
Thank you for sharing your story with us. I am assuming by 'sprites' you meant spirits.

I am glad no harm came to anyone on your excursions. Apparantley the spirits there did not want visitors or they never would have shown to you the hanging man or terrified your husband in that way.

Cemeteries are sacred places. Pray for peace for all those buried there. SOme may have died under not so natural causes and have not yet fcound their peace.

God Bless!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-07)
Hi haleybug! I'm glad your hubby got a taste of the things you experienced! It's sad the way people have treated each other, past and present. I'm sure the spirits there are not at peace, it's understandable. I'm looking forward to the other stories you have to tell, cemetery related or otherwise. You're very well spoken and you write very well. Thanks for letting us read your tale. I enjoyed it!
melissagrove2000 (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-06)
can't wait to hear more stories regarding this graveyard. Seems like they'll be pretty interesting. Hope you post them soon.
haleybug (10 stories) (89 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-06)
ok I hate to say it this is a place where slaves were hanged, beaten and whatever. Also a lot of black masses were held there. So god only knows what else is really there. As for the guy the way he looked we were about 100 year too late. As for graveyards have a creepiness, I know this, this one just has a horrible history.
melissagrove2000 (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-06)
ok, I'm a little I guess for lack of better term "bewildered". You said you all saw somebody hanging from this tree. (and then what)? You all left the person there. Or did you all go and get help? Your story jumped from finding this person to you and your husband. It was kind of a cliffhanger from finding the person hanging in the tree. Also how do you know that the people buried there were treated badly in life? That's doesn't really mean that it's why it may feel creepy or as your saying "haunted". Of course all graveyards have a "creepiness" to them day or night.
Thanks for the story. Good luck.
Shenny (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-06)
Hey Hayleybug,
Great story!
I really enjoyed it.
I hope all's well.

Take care and much love,
Shenny.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: