You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Ghosts Of Skyline Lodge

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghosts Of Skyline Lodge

 

This story takes place in the tiny mountain village of Platoro, Colorado, in a three storey building called Skyline Lodge. The lodge consists of a general store, a restaurant, and rooms for guests as well as employee housing. Which is what I was, an employee.

I worked as a cook for 5 seasons (May-November) and my wife was a front desk clerk and waitress. We were told tales when we first arrived of strange noises, shadows seen moving about, and a few personal experiences of strange happenings. We were told of the young man who committed suicide years ago by gunshot on the 2nd floor in what was now the owners of the lodge bedroom/office. We were told about the older gentleman who had a heart attack and passed away in the lobby, and of "Little Eva", the teenage girl who worked as a prostitute during the mining boom (late 1800's) and was shot and killed by the wife of a miner while standing on the porch of a building that still stood in the area. Eva\'s grave was on the property, an unmarked concrete slab in the middle of a field. One of these 3 people were usually to blame when strange things would happen.

My own personal experiences in my time there were a door, the door that went outside from the back storage room of the kitchen, shutting and locking behind me after I had gone outside to dispose of garbage, fryer grease, etc. This was a very large, heavy door that in no way should have been able to close itself, let alone lock itself. Also in this same room on more than one occasion after hearing a loud noise, I would walk in to find bowls, plates, cans, etc. Lying on the floor. This is also the area where many employees reported seeing shadows "out of the corner of their eye" only to turn around and see no one there.

Another hot spot was an employee bedroom on the second floor. Many people while staying in this room reported having nightmares and feelings of being watched. A young couple was in this room one night playing cards and all of a sudden the young man's pistol, which was lying on a bedside table went off, the bullet going into a wall!

Once while I was on the second floor in my bedroom, standing looking out the window with the door open, a small roll of trash bags that had been lying on a small table in the hallway outside my door came flying into the room landing on the floor directly behind me, a distance of about 12ft from where they had been.

But the most memorable experience for me personally happened late one night while my wife and I were in bed. It was around 11:00pm and we had been in bed 15-20 minutes we awoke to the sound of loud footsteps on the 3rd floor (directly above us). Then the sound of furniture being dragged across the floor (chairs, tables, etc.). It's important to note that there was no carpeting in the lodge, all wood floors, and nearly all the furniture was heavy, wooden, handmade tables and chairs. So the sound of these things being moved was loud and very distinctive. This noise went on for 10-15 minutes. This was the area that employees would gather to play games and watch TV. So I assumed this was what was going on. But after nearly 20 straight minutes, and because I had to be up at 5:30am, I decided to go upstairs and ask them to keep the noise down. After getting to the bottom of the staircase to the 3rd floor I was surprised to see no lights on the third floor, as well as hearing no noise. I climbed the stairs to find a dark room without as much as a TV being on. I hit the light switch at the top of the stairs thinking surely they must have heard me coming and were hiding behind the furniture on the other side of the room just to mess with me. After crossing this large room I found I was completely alone! With my heart racing and the chills, I went back down to my room to explain to my wife that no one was up there! My wife said seconds after I had walked out of the room and started walking down the hallway towards the stairs, the noise stopped, and we didn't hear it the rest of the night.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alphamoon70, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

alphamoon70 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-05)
Sds I meant to reply to your question. I don't really have contact with the current owners of the lodge. The people who operated it while I was there retired in 2005 and decided to put it up for sale. It stayed closed for 2 seasons and reopened in 2007 after a lot of remodeling. They do have a facebook page, and I have pics of the lodge and surrounding area on flicr.com (alphamoon70) including pics of a mysterious cabin fire that happened there in 2004.
alphamoon70 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-05)
Thanks for your feedback. Finding a dark, empty room was very shocking. The third floor was one large, open room about 50ft long, X 30ft wide. Crossing this room, having no doubt I would find 2-3 people hiding behind the large sofa and chairs on the other side, only to realize I was alone, chilled me to the bone. My wife and I had listened to the very distinctive sounds of heavy footsteps and moving furniture for 20 minutes I was thankful I wasn't the only one to hear it, I would have thought I imagined the whole experience.
I have no doubt this location is haunted. The door that shut and locked behind me happened 3 different times. Also, something el that happened there, though not to me personally, that I intended to put in the story was something the owners of the lodge experienced.
It was the last day of the season and everyone except the couple who owned the lodge and 2 friends of theirs were packing up the last of their personall items and preparring to leave when the husband realized he didn't have one of his hunting rifles. After all 4 people searched the entire place, every floor, every room and found nothing they decided someone must have taken it. As they are about to shut and lock the front door and leave, they hear a noise from the second floor that sounded like a door slam. When they went up to investigate and found his missing rifle lying on the bed in their bedroom/office...the same room the young man had commited suicide in about 15 years before.
The period of time I was there was 1999- 2004.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-05)
Hi alphamoon70, welcome to YGS. I have a feeling that there must have been more than one spirit. As Miracles said, it could have been quite a feeling when you went to the 3rd floor and found nothing, no one but you. But Miracles, for me, coming down to the second floor bedroom would have been much more difficult for alphamoon70, as the experience would have shaken him considerably.

By the way, when did this happen and do you have any contacts with the people working in that lodge and could you find out if such experiences/encounters happen even now.

Thanks for sharing your experience alphamoon70.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-04)
alphamoon70 - great story! I enjoy reading about haunted places that I've never been to, and probably won't ever get the opportunity 😉

I can just imagine how you must have felt to go upstairs, expecting to see at least the furniture moved, and instead find nothing out of the ordinary and no one else there.

Thank you for sharing this with us and welcome to YGS 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: