You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Parents Are Still With Me

Real Ghost Stories

My Parents Are Still With Me

 

This is the first time I have ever put a story on the site so bear with me.

We were raised in a military household, my father being a career Marine. He passed away in 1989 of heart failure. He may have left us physically but his spirit continued to watch over my mother until she passed away of lung cancer in 2001. I mention the lung cancer because both of my parents were heavy smokers, which will explain some things in my story.

After my father passed away, I was laying in my bed trying to get to sleep because I have a 75 mile commute to work every morning. I was in my bedroom, while my wife and children were in the living room and their bedrooms. About five minutes after I had laid down, the door to my room slowly opened and you could smell cigarette smoke. Now this is strange because my wife and I don't smoke. Then I heard footsteps and the edge of the bed settled as if someone was sitting on it. I stared at the bed seeing the indentation. After a while the bed rose and I could hear footsteps going to the door and the door closed.

In the morning I told the children, "Okay, you pulled a prank on dad. How did you do it?" They denied any involvement and said, "We have been trying to tell you of things going on."

When I am sick or in distress about something, about two in the morning you can smell cigarette smoke like someone is in the room smoking. Like I said, my wife and I don't smoke and we don't allow anyone to smoke in the house so I figure it is my mom and dad checking on me.

Whenever they come and check on me it is not a feeling of dread, but of comfort that I used to feel when they checked on me when I was a child and was sick.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, opdep6, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-22)
What a sweet story. I'm comforted by the fact that you can feel them so strongly. I have no doubt it is your parents just checking up on their son and his family. ❤
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-21)
Almost a tissue grabber! I would offer my condolences but it sounds like your parents are there. So sweet to know that our relatives are always watching out for us. You're vary blessed to have dedicated family like this. And I'm glad you don't smoke.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
Hello, Opdep6 I am so sorry for your loss, I too lost my father to heart attack in young age mid 40's while during high school. I know it's hard to lose a parent which it's not easy. My father does smoke and you could read is that my daddy smoking. Plus for right now my step dad have lung cancer which he did smoke and quit for good but not easy. By the way I live in Louisiana too. 😊
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-17)
[at] opdep6... Aawwww that's sweet:) it must be a such a nice feeling to know they are watching over you:)) ) this story made me smile:) thank you:)

[at] elnor- congratulations! You deserve a round of applause. My dad smokes and has been trying to quit since forever. The number oh cigarettes per day has reduced but he's just not being able to completely quit. So I know it's a really difficult habit to break. Cudos to you:)) ) keep it up!
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-17)
I am sorry for the losses in your family.

This is a very interesting story with the smoke letting you know that your parents are there.

I think it is quite sweet.

It also makes me happy that I just quit smoking.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: