You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Play Date With Grandpa

Real Ghost Stories

Play Date With Grandpa

 

One evening about 3 years ago we were sitting at the kitchen table enjoying time with our daughter who had just turned 2 years old. There was a lot of laughing and being silly and our charismatic toddler was loving it! She started talking early and by this point was getting fairly good at putting words together to get her point across. We were quite proud of her vocabulary, but we were floored by what she expressed to us that night.

In the midst of all the giggling, she very matter of factly said, "Grandpa likes to laugh and play too!" Both of her grandfathers had passed away before she was born. We always talk about my Dad, so I wouldn't be so shocked if she had stopped there because she could've just been repeating something she heard us say. I didn't want to overreact, because I didn't want her to embellish her story based on my reaction. So I calmly said, "Oh really? What does he look like?" She had seen pictures of him, so I expected her to describe a picture she'd seen. She said, "I don't know, I can't really see him, he's always kind of gray. But mommy he plays with me and he loves me very much! He's a very nice man!" I asked her where she had played with him. She said, "My room, but he lives far, far away" as she's dramatically gesturing in an upward motion toward the ceiling (or sky possibly). At this point she was done talking about it and went to the other room to play. Although we felt like she could communicate well for her age, we were surprised at the level in which she spoke about this.

My husband and I started to speculate; first, whether or not it was genuine and second, which one of our fathers could've been stopping by for a play date with his granddaughter. Either way, we were amused at the possibility and felt comfort in her recollection.

After her bath that night, she and I were sitting on the bed brushing her hair. She swiftly turned toward me with a very serious look on her face. In a firm but gentle way, she grabbed my chin and turned my head in order to make me look directly at her. It was clear she wanted to make sure she had my attention. She began to speak with very clear pronunciation beyond her 2 years and said, "DON'T worry about ME, I worry about YOU." It wasn't meant to be a warning or anything urgent. It was more like the way a parent would give advice to their child. Naturally, I questioned her about what she meant by that statement, but she was not interested in my query and had already turned her attention to the toy she had in her hand. I felt like that was my confirmation as to who in fact had been playing with her.

I mentioned in my previous story how much my late father meant to me and how I felt about him never having met his grandchild (ren). Once again, he set aside any doubt I may have had and also reminded me he will always be with me/us!

Other hauntings by Trio

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Trio, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-22)
LOL Elnoraemily! Well let me know when you are preggo and like wise, so our Rens can find each other on YGS years down the road and exchange stories about their crazy moms and how they got their names! ❤
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-22)
I am naming my future child Ren now just because of how much this entire exchange has made me laugh.
Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-20)
Notjustme - thank you for reading and commenting! Ren is a pretty cool name though!
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
oh ok! Haha none the less, great account! And thanks for sharing it.
Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
Hilarious! Those darn misbehaving punctuation marks!
"You will do as I say!" Hehe
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
Trio - you did LOL I fight with that... And capital letter all the time. Even though I know better and know I'm going to lose that battle, I still try to make it do what I want 😆
Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
Thank you Miracles51031! That makes me feel better! I saw it there and I was sure I took it out! Lol
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
Umm...okay. Apparently I am being taught a lesson. I shall leave this alone 😳
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
Well, that just made me look stupid, didn't it? Let's try that again.

If you type your story in word and then copy/paste it in the submission's page, it puts these freaking " " before an apostrophe, without the quotation marks LOL
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
Oh, and let's not forget this one. If you type your story in word and then copy/paste it in the submission's page, it puts these freaking before an apostrophe. Don't know whether or not you've noticed and wondered, but that's what has happened. Most of us mods have figured it out and delete them, but some of us haven't and sometimes they still get left in.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
Trio - I don't think that was your mistake. I think whatever software the site uses does this. I've noticed it before when editing. That and when you use... The first letter after the... Capitalizes LOL no matter what you do 😆 Talk about frustrating 😆
Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
Oh gosh! I can see how that would be confusing! I thought I had deleted that space between grandchild and (ren). It was meant to suggest grandchild and grandchildren but that space in there makes it seem like my daughter's name is Ren. I may have just made it more confusing... But hey, that's STILL a pretty big coincidence don't you think?:)
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
funny, I haven't been on for a while so I've missed lots of stories. Today when I logged on, your story was the first I clicked, and boy am I glad I did.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
oh my goodness you continue to make me want to weep! Ren is the name I have decided to name my future daughter too! And the love you have for your father is exactly how I feel for mine. He is still alive, and I pray he will be when I have my little Ren too. I truly am sorry you lost your dad's physical form, but he's there! Oh you he is!:)

Can I ask where you got the name Ren from? Because I have no recollection of where I got it from, it just one day popped in my head "my daughter will be Ren!"

Love hearing from you, sending you love from Canada- notjustme
Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-18)
Wish-not - I have a few more, seems like they mostly center around the kids. I have always experienced things, maybe I'm more open to it than other people? People have told me before that the house isn't haunted, I am lol. My son has also shared things with me, but they aren't so warm and fuzzy and I'm not sure if I can word it delicately enough for others to read. Thanks for commenting!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-18)
Trio- Bravo! Sigh, so nice to read a "feel good" story. What a feeling that must have been. So impressed with your darling daughter. I would imagine you only have more to come.
Thanks for sharing!
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-17)
Oh my god! That is just so adorable:)) ) so sorry for your loss trio... But it must be feeling so good to know he's right here! Great story! Thanks for sharing:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: