You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Haunted By The Night Watchman

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted By The Night Watchman

 

The paranormal experiences that I am about to narrate were experienced by my mother and her whole family.

The year was 1986-87. My mother, then unmarried, was living with her family comprising of her parents, two brothers, sister in law and twin nephews in their apartment at Andheri, Mumbai. The said apartment was inhabited by the family since 1984 but no strange activities were experienced until 1986, when a tragic incident triggered some strange happenings in their apartment. One November night in 1986, some goons had entered the building in which the family was residing, to kill the building secretary. The night watchman of their building tried to stop the goons from entering the premises. Furious over this, the goons chased the watchman to the terrace of this 6 storeyed building and threw him down to his death.

A month after this incident, some strange happenings started in Mom's house. The first to experience it was my mom's middle brother who had been then recently diagnosed with brain tumor. He was fast asleep one night when he felt as if somebody patted his foot (like when one does to wake somebody up). He woke up and found nobody around him. After this one by one all the family members started experiencing this shaking/patting when asleep. Some members of the family experienced more than just shaking/patting. My grandfather complained of something repeatedly trying to choke him in his sleep in the night and during his afternoon nap. Now my grandfather was a retired Army man who hardly believed in such things. But still he was pretty shaken up by this. One afternoon my grandmom was asleep on the bed and something/someone dragged her to the floor. She was terrified to sleep after this experience. On her insistence a priest was called by the family to perform a Puja/Shanti to ward off the spirit.

But to the family's utter dismay, the happenings continued. Mom had not experienced these activities until one night. Mom's brother was out of town due to some official work so Mom and her sister in law decided to share the bedroom with the twins. Mom was sleeping on the queen sized bed with one of the twins while her sis in law slept on a mattress on the floor with the other twin. They were chatting until 2 am in the night after which Mom turned to sleep on her side, face towards the nephew sleeping beside her, her back towards the sis in law sleeping on the floor. After a while she sensed someone pulling on her nightgown from behind. She turned back expecting it to be her sis in law trying to tell her something but looking down she found her sis in law and the twin sound asleep. Mom realised that she had experienced something all others had been talking about. She chanted God's name and went sleep.

By now all the family members had experienced these strange activities except the 3 year old twin boys. However late one night both the boys woke up crying from the sleep terrified and complaining about someone continuously patting them. Their mom pacified them and tried to put them back to sleep. Next morning, furious over scaring her kids, she shouted and hurled abuses at the entity asking it to stop these acts and leave the family alone. Miraculously it worked and the activities stopped putting an end to their year long ordeal.

If and how the murder of the watchman was related to these happenings is still a mystery. Whether it happened to any other families in the building is not known. None of the other families complained of such activities, however, people in India especially in a metropolitan city like Mumbai (with escalating real estate rates) don't tend to talk about such things happening in their apartments. Also there was no animosity between Mom's family and the watchman nor were the relations too cordial, a dutiful Salaam was all that was shared. So why this family was chosen is another mystery.

Mom's family are devout Hindus so before moving in the apartment a Vaastu Shanti and Puja were performed to bless the house. Also during the said period of the happenings i.e. December 1986 to October 1987 a Shanti was performed but the happenings continued. The family continued to stay in the apartment and still does however no untoward incident has happened since.

Thanks for letting me share this experience of my mom's family. Comments and answers will be appreciated.

Other hauntings by Sonali007

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sonali007, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-22)
Sonali007 - interesting you should ask because I do believe that our energies can attract things to us too. As you will read on here many people who are going through tough times or if often negative are more likely to attract activities, not saying it's always bad though. But in your case, I don't think it's got to do with your family's feelings though. I say that because you guys are feeling sad more than angry right? I have noticed it's more of the hatred/anger/jealousy people who attract darkness to themselves.
Sonali007 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-22)
Hi notjustme and many thanks for your comments. I agree that it could be the spirit of the watchman lingering in the building. You said my family could have been there at the wrong time. Are these spirits easily attracted to emotionally vulnerable people? Because my family was surely depressed over mom's brother being diagnosed with brain tumor. Are such things possible?

Anyways thanks again.
Sonali007 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-22)
Hi Sheetal Thanks for your comments and opinion. May be it was a residual haunting and the watchman's murder was just a coincidence. Frankly speaking I am not sure. Thats the reason behind sharing the story on this forum. Thanks again
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-22)
Hi Sonali, Welcome to YGS! I don't think all the happenings has to do anything with murder of watchmen. It could be residual haunting. You've mentioned that earlier your mom's family didn't experienced but after that incident they start to experience. It can be co-incidence as there was no link between watchmen and your family. Even in my house my mom start to experience spooky things after 2 years of living.

And I am agree that in metropolitan city we never want to talk these things with incresing rates of flats.
😜
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-22)
Hello there and welcome!
My guess would be the watchman's spirit lingering around the building. Since he died tragically, it's normal, in my opinion, to come back with a bit of vengeance. I have learned that in after death, the spirit cannot remember some things and people from when they were alive, especially if the death was recent to the haunting. If it is really the watchman, I think he was just trying to seek out the ones that hurt him and your family just happens to be there at the wrong time. That's why he stopped when your aunt told him to. Or perhaps the blessings helped send him off to the next chapter.

I have learned that people who died tragically cannot be at peace with themselves until maybe one day some living soul decides to help them cross over or somehow they do it themselves. Anyways, that was all my own opinion. Glad your family is safe now. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: