You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Mother's Experiences

Real Ghost Stories

My Mother's Experiences

 

Background: I'm 27 years old and have never had any personal experiences. However, I find the possibility fascinating and frequently read the wonderful stories here and ask about stories from people that I see as honest and trustworthy people (not quick to assume, level headed, possibly quite skeptic).

These stories are from my mother who I frequently talk to about her life in Vietnam because I want to be able to pass the history down to my children.

Some of her stories are fascinating and happen to be of the paranormal type. My mother is Catholic and is on the fence about paranormal happenings (because of her religion). She's very smart and level headed, and does not embellish stories that she recounts.

Anyway, here they are:

My mother said she and her cousin once saw a transparent white suit, almost like a mist, lay down on my great grandfather's wooden bed. This was from a different room. My mother says that the clothes were very clearly the traditional burial suit one would wear when they died. She thinks it was my great grandpa, as this happened after his death and because the suit was just like the nice white suit he was buried in. She also said she was not scared to see it and felt comforted.

This next story is about my grandfather. My mom's family were quite privileged in Vietnam and her father always hung out with the "right" people and knew how to talk. One day he and his wife (my grandmother) were going out to have a drink and dinner with their friends (another couple). My grandfather always brought his own bottles and carried a large bottle of liquor with him. When he got out of the car, he dropped the bottle on accident (which, according to my mom, he always made sure to hold the bottle securely) and it shattered. Well, now out of liquor, my grandfather said he would just go buy another (he always got the expensive, "real" liquor... There are many fakes in Vietnam that are filled with other things but sport the brand... But since he knew people, he always knew where to go for genuine). His friend said that wasn't necessary, he had a bottle at home and they could eat at his place. The friend suggested that he and my grandpa go in one car, and the girls go in the other. His friend's car was a Cadillac, so pretty rare to see back then.

Well, as they were driving down a road (which to mom says always has many accidents), my grandfather begins to go in and out of the lane he's in. His friend says nothing at first, but wonders why he's doing this because there's no traffic on the road. Finally after a few times, his friend says, "What are you doing?" My grandfather says, "I'm trying to avoid those kids on the bike." (This was late at night, it was two kids wearing white pajamas, maybe a brother and sister). The friend doesn't see them, but somehow the kids keep managing to catch up with the car (they're riding in the same direction). My grandfather starts arguing with his friend, saying "right there!" And the friend insists he doesn't see anybody.

The last time my grandfather changed lanes, another car was coming the opposite direction with four people from a wedding party and hits them head on. They died, and my grandfather was pronounced dead at the scene. His friend was injured, but lived.

Now, back then, if you were dead they would pull you out and leave you on the side of the road. My grandfather had the steering column go through his chest. My grandmother and her friend are driving behind them and see the hood of the Cadillac. The friend's wife notices the Cadillac's hood (again, a rare car at that time) and the girls pull up to the scene. My grandma picks up my grandfather and pleads a taxi driver to take him to the nearest hospital. From what my mother says, it's rare that anyone would have helped them because he was dead. The taxi driver helps take my grandfather to a hospital, where he is ignored and laid out in the hallway because he is dead. My grandmother pleads with doctors to help him. One Japanese doctor miraculously decides to take my grandfather in and saves him.

I'll write more when I can. The other stories my mom has are another of my grandfather experiencing something and a dream that she had (a contact?). I hope you enjoy these a little =).

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Notamongsheep, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Notamongsheep (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-10-01)
I asked my mother if it was possible that my grandpa had drunk before the accident. She said no, that he hadn't drunk anything and my grandma confirmed that (she was there the night of the accident). My mother also said that her father was a very skeptical person.
Notamongsheep (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
I love this community! =) I'm somewhat of a skeptic but have to admit that I didn't think my mother's stories through too much... Just because she is the most trustworthy person I know! It's great to read everyone's analysis! =)

Badjuujuu - I figured as much = (I will make sure I'm awake and typing on my computer (rather than my phone... It made it hard to type) for the next ones! Thanks for reading. =)

Elnora - Glad I could clear it up! I hope it was semi-enjoyable. I'm going to ask my mom about his state of mind during that time!

Notjustme - my grandfather passed away in 1996, before I ever got a chance to meet him. However, my grandma and most of my aunts and uncles and my mom can verify that this happened. I've been to Vietnam twice now, and I'm not sure when I'm going back... I have a son now, almost three. All those airline tickets add up! Plus the money you spend there... Lol. =)
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
Notanongsheep - Thanks for the reply! Though I still say he was wealthy! Hahaha only because to own a car there even now means you have some money. A Toyota Camry here cost about 40k, in Vietnam it is double due to import fees, unless made in VN.
I believe the story, but have you ever asked your grandpa to see his chest scar? (if he is still alive) What a tale to share with the next generations huh? I love hearing stories from my elders too ❤
Thank you for your time.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
Thank you for all of your clarifications! That is very helpful.

It's a great story and was lovely to read.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
Hi Notamongsheep.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't edit this story. Once it's published, it's final. Anything that isn't quite clear in the story you can explain in the comments section though.
I'm happy a doctor was willing to help your grandfather. He was a lucky man to survive such an accident.
Looking forward to reading more from you.
Notamongsheep (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
*their - oh, and to answer the questions...

Elmoraemily - I'll have to ask my mom. That's a good point if he may have been under the influence.

Notjustme - yes, according to the time frames my mom said... However, she talked about this with her mom and dad, and may have the time frame or story wrong a little bit. I know that two days ago when she told me why my grandpa had seen, she said that he was pronounced dead and left on the side of the road. Now, knowing that no one was there to verify that anyone checked if he was dead, I have to say that he was probably alive, but probably not moving and the paramedics probably thought he was a lost cause.

My mother's stories are really great and she denies they were wealthy... But I think think they were. My grandpa ran away from home and a french man "took him in". My great grandfather's company painted billboards in Vietnam. My great grandpa (the french one) took very good care of my grandpa, grandma, and all 15 of their kids! According to my mom, my grandpa just knew how to entertain and talk, so he always had a lot of "high end" company.
Notamongsheep (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
Hey everyone, thanks for the comments. First I have to say sorry, I was a bit tired last night and I was typing the stories as I was remembering my mother telling them. She told me first about the story of him dead at the scene and how a Japanese doctor saved him. What I speculate is that he was on the verge of death, possibly very very close, but if people like that leave you on the side of the road... Well, you can't expect them to know if you're really dead or not, right? =P I'm sure there paramedics are nothing like ours here, especially back in the day. I just found out two days ago talking to my mom about how I read these forums that my grandpa's accident was because he had seen two kids on a bicycle. I thought it was really awesome! I'm sorry for the confusion, I'll go back to edit the story later. I got so tired last night while typing it that I didn't really put it all together to make sense, since my mother told me the story in parts and not in one sitting. I was in a hurry to type it because my eyes were closing on me and I was just trying to finish it up. Thanks for asking!
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
if your grandfather had been dead for (let's approximate) an hour at that point in time, there is no bringing him back. I am guessing he was at the verge of death and passed off as being not being able to be saved. He is lucky someone took notice.

Did they drive before having anything to drink?
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
Hello Notamongsheep - Before I proceed to comment further, I want to get something clear. So your grandfather was dead for a long time and the Japanese doctor managed to bring him back to life?
And yes, not only is a Cadillac rare back then, but having a car period was rare. Your grandpa must have been really wealthy.

P.S. I was born in Vietnam and has visited almost 10 times since migrating to Canada, so I can picture everything perfectly 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: