You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Footprints of a Strange Visitor

Real Ghost Stories

Footprints of a Strange Visitor

 

This is one of those stories passed down through the family, told by my father. He passed away so I can't ask him to clear any details, but I'll relate it as well as I can remember. My father's family, a couple of generations back, lived in Arkansas. They were very poor and I suppose they were what you could truly call 'hillbillies'. This was told to me by my Dad and happened to my great-grandparents.

They lived in a little house, surrounded by fields out in the country. They were self-supporting and just starting out together. My Dad's Mom wasn't even thought of yet. My Great-grandparents had just climbed into bed when there was a pounding at their front door. They worried because someone knocking at the door at that hour could only mean something was wrong. Remember, this would be around the 1890's. Early to bed, early to rise, no neighbors for quite a distance and no phones.

When they got to the door Great-grandpa called out and asked who it was. There was no reply so after asking a time or two more, they waited to see what would happen. When some time went by and they didn't hear anything, they went back to bed. They were pretty isolated so didn't want to open the door to someone who could be dangerous, a hobo, I suppose you could say. They were wondering what was going on, irritated but cautious.

This happened a few more nights, after dark, when they were in bed. I'm not clear on whether it was a few nights in a row or just sporadically. Nobody answered when they asked who it was. Great-grandpa was more than a little irritated and he was worried. He placed his hunting gun near the door in case he had to use it (that was the home security system in those days), though he didn't want to hurt anyone.

After this had gone on for a while, they started worrying about other things, things that couldn't be seen. They weren't closed minded to such things, after all there are plenty of 'hillbilly' superstitions. They came up with the idea to put a sprinkling of flour on the front steps to see what happened when they had the knocks on the door. Before too long, (I'm not sure if days went by, or what), the knocking started in the evening after they were ready for bed. Great-grandpa grabbed his gun (he wasn't a fool, just prepared for anything) and yelled out, asking who was there a couple of times. When there was no answer he put his gun at the ready, in case he had to shoot, and had Great-grandma fling the door wide open. There was no one there.

Great-grandpa called out but there was nobody in sight. They looked down and saw footprints in the flour leading up to the door and then just stopping at the door. Great-grandma said a little prayer, they were scared out of their wits. As far as I heard, that was the end of things knocking on their door.

My Dad was a great story teller but I heard him recall this story many times and it never varied. He always claimed it to be true. I believe him, (he is my Dad, after all!) and I don't think he embellished too awfully much (maybe not at all!) My Dad's sister, my Aunt, also claims this to be a true story.

Thanks for reading my story. I hope you enjoyed it.

Other hauntings by Bellissima

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Bellissima, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

winterset (4 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-05)
You're an excellent writer! I love all of your submissions. Thanks for posting.
Missmelanie04 (6 stories) (39 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-17)
Bellissima, I'm from a long line of "hillbillies" from Arkansas and I have tons of stories passed down from my great-aunts and uncles. This was a great story and reminds me of many things that happened to my relatives. This will be a great story for you to pass on to your kids and their kids and so on.
lifeisscary (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-18)
Interesting story. It's scary imagining that things like this could happen to us one day.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-01)
Sounds as if there was a polite entity. Knocking on the door. Well, maybe not so polite as it would wait until they where in bed 😁

Thanks for sharing!

God Bless!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-08)
Thanks, everyone! I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I'm always glad to give some goose bumps (Athena) and give a story that people like to read, and thanks for reading!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-08)
Bell, once again, another great story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Looking forward to the next one.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-08)
I enjoyed reading your interesting story! 😁. I would of pist my pants if I was there!

take care! ❤
ducky493 (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-08)
Hey bellissima great story maybe the ghost was playing ding dong ditch 😆 or maybe that's where in died so it keeps coming back beacuase it dose not know what to do it should find the light and stick with the light. By the why you commented on starnge exprinces at night just saying great tale.
GibsonFlyingV (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-07)
Wow, that wsa such a great story. Sometimes spirits come back to a place they once visited and they do what they had done in the past (for instance, the knocking) and they won't go away. So sometimes you have to say a prayer just to drive them off. But thanks that was a good storiy.
ghosthost (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-07)
Hey Bellissima, what a spooky tale! I could picture it while reading. Thanks for sharing! 😨
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-07)
Thanks Athena! Dad was good at telling his tales and he really stuck to this one. He stuck to his story and I loved him, he told the story with such conviction that I believe what he told me. I'm glad that you enjoyed the story and thanks for reading it! ❤
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-06)
Hi Bellissima, your dad isn't the only one who can tell a good story 😊. You gave me goose-bumps again. Also, perfect time for such a story.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-06)
Thanks, Shenny, for taking the time to read my story. I'm glad you did, and enjoyed it. My Dad had a few stories, most I can't remember, but this is the one I heard most often. There's another one that actually involved my Dad and my Aunt, sometime I'll get that one in too! 😊
Shenny (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-06)
Dear Bellissima,
I enjoyed the story very much.
Thanks for sharing your story and most of all taking the time to write this. :]

Take care and much love,
Shenny. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: