You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Boy Who Ran

Real Ghost Stories

The Boy Who Ran

 

What is the hungry ghost month? Qing Ming Day falls on the 3rd day of the 3th month in Chinese Lunar calendar or to be exact on the 104th day after the winter solstice. This festival usually occurs during the first week of the month of April of the Gregorian Calender. It's a Chinese tradition to celebrate the visit and depart of the dead on this date itself. And for anyone who is not aware of this, are advised not to roam the streets. It's a strict rule, in which we believe nothing latches on to you and follow you home if you're unlucky. Eerie as it may seem... Do you believe it?

Http://www.themalaysiantimes.com.my/dos-and-donts-during-the-hungry-ghost-month/

So here is where my story begins... Lesson learnt. Never go out on a hungry ghost month. NEVER!

I had to move to my granny's house due to college, and them being so conservative and restrictive to many things, I don't get to do much nor hang out with my friends I've met in college. Heck- They've labeled my friends robbers due to a recent break in and thinking I was either wasting too much time or trying to get myself laid with friends. So, it becomes a norm I stay out in college from early until late evening to get some college work done, then head home by 8pm via the bus. Due to these events I don't quite enjoy staying with them. Trust me, my grandparents are the real horror to the ears when it comes to living with them.

Anyhow, on that particular ghostly day, I headed out to college as usual by bus, ignoring my granny's warning to stay in the house. I'd rather save my sanity and get college work done, so out I went at 9 a.m. In the morning with some necessities like my jacket because the air conditioning in college can be freezing, and some simple Japanese packed lunch I made. (because they hate anything to do with Japanese, just to irritate them in revenge) With much relief and everything within comfort's reach, I did as much studying and finished up all my assignments within that day.

Regarding the school, the college encompasses a whole block of shop lots to itself and labeled each lot from Block A to Block F, they broke down the walls so the whole building is connected without having the students to climb up and down the stairs to get to the other lot. So getting to the labs and all was pretty easy. I normally get my assignments done in Block F's study room. Lots of table and silence to myself. So to access to the other buildings, I didn't need to climb much stairs to get to the other labs.

One of my assignments required the computer lab in Block A, so I left some of my stuff in the study room's locker and headed to the computer lab. Along my way on the third floor, there weren't many students that time, given it was a study week. The place was pretty quiet given a few of the labs were already open for use, and some students noisily running- wait, running? I turned around to see who it was, but there was no one. Hmm... Ignoring what I heard, I walked on.

After I reached the lab, before me was the stairs to my left, the large pillar in the middle and the lab on my right. As I walked closer, a boy materialized out of no where from the lab and jogged behind the pillar towards the stairs. I didn't see much details of the boy, curious to who it was... But he never got to the stairs at all. Is this guy hiding behind the pillar? And given there wasn't any other rooms next to the stairs on that particular floor itself out of sight, I waited to see if he'd pop out. He didn't come out, so I went around. There was no one there! Who is that guy? Hmm... So I ignored and headed into the lab and started on my assignment.

Few hours later, it was already six something in the evening, and I was about close to done. I always have my headphones on to listen to my own set of music while working, despite being the only one in the lab at that moment. All of a sudden, there was this running figure again that ran from behind me towards the lab door. The moment I looked up, the figure slowly disappeared. Huh? Again the running boy. But this time... Wow... Okay! Time to pack up and head home since my work is done for the day. And so I did.

I related the story to my other college mates, and to my surprise, similar things happened to them too but in the other labs. He was harmless, so all they heard was footsteps and him running around the college since the college isn't badly haunted... Right?

The running boy was one of the college's students. He died in front of the college in a car accident when he rushed to college to hand in his assignments. One of the lecturers who has been teaching for a while told us this, because he was one of his bright students.

Other hauntings by Valkyrie114

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Valkyrie114, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

queenlol (9 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-25)
AWESOME story! 😁 This was quite an interesting story! LOVE IT! 😁 ❤
timothyj68 (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-20)
Materialization of a bound spirit is related to the condition of the soul during the person was still alive. And given it was Ching Ming, wandering spirits or bound spirits usually are a bit stronger than the rest of the time within the year. Flow of the universal force, the condition of the sigthing location and the binding elements are to be taken in consideration in order to allow materialization.

In some time regions of a year, living being with higher intelligence are able to sense or even witness some appearances of spiritual beings. Not only Ching Ming. But of course there are criterias to be hit in order for that to happen. Yin and Yang too, will influence the possibilities of sightings.

I am a Christian. A Catholic. But I was studying about paranormal activities since I was very young. So I pretty much get the idea of your situation and thus I came up with the theory above. Since it was harmless the I guess it would be no problems.
Valkyrie114 (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-10-02)
Miracles51031, I'm sorry if it does sound like I am bashing my grandparents and yes, of course no one knows about my grandparents as well as I do. In this scenario, it was more like how they were so superstitious and horrible conservative it is the few reasons I stayed out instead of listening to them in this story that made me really see this boy. Of course I moved after... That ends the misery.

Valkricry, indeed! He has been running and like many who have seen and heard him, he has been repeating the same activity throughout the hallway.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-10-01)
This "Ghost Month" or a variation of it must be international. In the U.S. We have Halloween. It use to be believed that on that night (October 31) the souls of the dead roamed. Costumes were worn to confuse them, so that they couldn't get you!
Now, the boy you saw/heard running, it doesn't seem like Hungry Ghost month really has much to do with him. Although, I wonder if he's more active at that time, perhaps. Sounds like he might be more of a residual then actual spirit. Still, interesting story!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-10-01)
Valkyrie114 - I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. I had a hard time getting to the end of your story because I was hung up on the grandparent bashing you were doing.

I don't know you or your grandparents, but this I do know. The things you said about your grandparents had nothing to do with your experience, and needn't have been said, other than you lived with them.

In the future, if you feel the need to share your grievances and other such comments, talk to your friends, don't put it in your stories you want submitted on our site.
Valkyrie114 (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
Hello hello~

I'm Chinese by the way. Hahaha! Good thing the boy doesn't really harm anyone as he has always been doing that- running from hall to hall. Despite being a lunar month of not, we still see him. But that was the first time I've seen him on that particular day... So... Yea.

Notjustme; I find it weird too when one has to burn hell money and offer food to the dead... Until on that fateful night I saw a faint figure leaning over the food offering as if enjoying the meals. It's strange but huuuu~ I'm able to see when I don't want to and that's one stupid problem. Sigh...
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
Wow that's interesting! [at] valkyrie and notJustme- I find it fascinating because Hindus too have a 14 day period where we donate food and clothes to the dead. It's around the same time as yours, only a little later. Indian "shraad" as we call it, got over today. So say it was roughly mid to end September this year (it changes with lunar months like yours too... It follows the Hindu calendar which I'm not so well versed with. My apologies). We too are forbidden from being out too late (nobody follows that now), to not wash your hair and wear fragrances, etc because apparently it attracts the spirits who are visiting earth at this time. However it's not particularly scary like yours. It's rather a time we miss the people from our family who died, and we donate food and clothes to a priest in their name. That's that:)
PS- I find it pretty sweet that we should have similar, if not the same, tranditions across borders:)
And by the way, interesting story. Feel bad for the poor boy: (
Thanks for sharing. Take care:)
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
I should mention there are some parts of ghost month I do not believe in, not all. I do believe spirits might have a higher chance of communicating during these times, but the food offering and money burning I do not. I guess because as I get older, my view on after life changes and I no longer believe spirits need food or money after death.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
Interesting story, and fascinating to hear about how Malay perceives Ghost month. Forgive me for saying so, but it sounds like he is around there because he died around there. It didn't seem like he was trying to possess you or harm you. I would like to know what makes you think this has anything to do with ghost month?

I am Chinese and too have grown up hearing about ghost month. But as for my knowledge of ghost month is on July 14th in lunar calender, the gates of "Hell" is opened for spirits who need to do what they need to do. My elders told me that the vengeful spirits do died tragically uses this opportunity to possess people or cause harm and sort of in way find a replacement.
I was taught similar to you to stay in as much as possible during ghost month, and if we hear someone call our name and we do not see anyone, we do not respond to the second or third call because as soon as you turn around and see nothing, the spirit slips into your body.

I used to be terrified upon hearing all this. From ages 1-6 I remember burning "ghost money" for them with my birth mother as she was highly superstitious. I even started doing this as I got older for a few years. Now, I don't really fully believe it any more, but I don't mock it either (to be safe 😉. I just pray openly to all spirits to be at peace during lunar July.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: