You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Late Visitor

Real Ghost Stories

The Late Visitor

 

I used to work in a nursing home as an evening receptionist. One autumn evening, around 7:30 pm, some of the nurses had finished their shifts and were waiting for rides home. One nurse stopped to talk to me and then she was distracted. She asked me why the front entrance doors were opening if no one was there.

Now, I can't see the main entrance directly from my desk. There's a pillar in the way. On another pillar there is camera that points directly at the door and the monitor is on my desk so I can see the door in black and white. There's a button outside that someone can press to make the doors open. I looked at the monitor while the nurse leaned back to look at the door.

I clearly saw a little, old man with a cane and wearing a baseball hat coming in though the first door. I didn't answer the nurse because I thought she'd see him and answer her own question but she leaned back over to me and said that was weird. No one was there.

I could see him so well on the monitor. I stood up and came around the desk where she was to look outside and I just saw the doors closing on their own. No old man. I told her about what I just saw but she was just ready to go home and not even listening to me anymore. That was okay because I didn't really want to say it again. That was just crazy. I'd just seen a ghost in well-lit lobby with three other people around who didn't see anything.

Since then I've heard lots of ghost stories about the nursing home. It's a fairly new building but I guess it's already acquiring some ghosts.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, geneen, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-30)
hi, geneen... Thanks for your reply. Looking forward more stories from your side. 😁
geneen (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-29)
sheetal, as far as I know the camera wasn't able to record. If it was, that tape would be in the Nursing Supervisor's office and I never thought to ask for it. I'm pretty sure the camera can't record.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-29)
Hi, geneen... Short and crispy story... Really scary... Do you have the footage? I mean did you showed that footage to your colleagues? What was there reaction?

😁
geneen (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-26)
Thank you all so much for responding. This community is so friendly about sharing experiences.

Arwen1957, lots of nurses have stories about ghosts in the building. Some even claim to have seen the Grim Reaper. Eep! I hope I never do.
Arwen1957 (7 stories) (47 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-26)
Just a former resident making his daily walk back inside How cool that you were able to see him. I ave worked at a nursing home for over 20 years and have heard and seen many things, including a departed resident standing in the hall waiting for her meds a year after she had passed. Another resident was checking out snacks on the counter in the activity room 3 years after she passed. I some times hear the voices of residents long gone or catch a brief glimpse of them in the building. I have never been afraid of them in a way it is comforting to see that they are still with us in some form
geneen (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
I can only speculate, of course, but I'd like to imagine he was going in to see his wife.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
That's pretty creepy then! Maybe the poor guy doesn't know he passed on?:[
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
geneen- That is one of those "Oh Cool" moments. They may seem crazy at the time though. However with the nurse seeing the doors open is validation to what you saw on the monitor.

I find these are the fun ones. The ones that leave one scratching their heads while asking themselves "WTH"?

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.
geneen (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
ifihadyoux, He didn't seem agile enough to turn that quick and leave if he were alive. Plus, the nurse really should have seen him very clearly when she looked directly out the door. She didn't see him. Just me on the moniter.
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
Woooaaahhhhh! I think this is the best ghost story I've read that could've summed it up in such few words. So direct and yet, so so scary!
Thanks for sharing:) goes to my favourites!
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
Did you check outside to see if he changed his mind and went the other direction? That's the only thing I could think of to be honest.
geneen (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
There was only one set of doors in and out of the building for visitors and residents. This is so we can keep an eye on particular residents who may be confused and try to leave the building.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
This is really quite fascinating.

Just because I have to ask, there were no other doorways he could have gone into that would have made it seem like he disappeared?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: