You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Transylvanian Spook

Real Ghost Stories

The Transylvanian Spook

 

I have had many supernatural encounters over the years, but this one is the most interesting. This story takes place in a little town called Transylvania, Louisiana in early 1993. Transylvania is located on Hwy. US 65 S, about 44 miles N.W. of Vicksburg, Ms. There are cotton fields all around in this region.

My boyfriend and I were on our way to our new home in Southeastern Louisiana. We had the car loaded down and our mutt, Barky (my baby sister named him), was sleeping in the back seat. It was early in the morning, about 2 or 3 a.m. I was drifting off in and out of consciousness, when I noticed signs along the road warning motorists that hitchhikers could actually be escaped inmates from nearby prison farms. I had never heard of a prison farm before, so I became curious and started a conversation with my boyfriend on the subject. According to Wikipedia, a prison farm is "a large correctional facility where hard labor convicts are put to economical use in a 'farm' (in the wide sense of a productive unit), usually for manual labour, largely in open air, such as in agriculture, logging, quarrying, etc. Its historical equivalent on a very large scale was called a penal colony..."

At this point in the story, I was fully awake and engaged in a conversation that became even more interesting as we rolled into the sleepy town of Transylvania. We quickly noticed the huge water tower with the black bat and the word, "Transylvania". We cracked a few jokes about the spooky water tower, but other than the unusual name for a seemingly normal small southern town, the place was not eerie until we came upon something very incredible.

It appeared there was a man, a very tall man walking in the road ahead of us. It was a little foggy out, so I thought I might have been imagining it. As we came closer, we noticed that this was no man. It appeared to be some kind of creature I had never seen; it looked like some mythical creature, part human, and part buffalo. Its coloring was brown and patchy, and I could see right through it.

Suddenly, as we came within ten feet of it, the spook stepped directly in the path of our moving vehicle (we were probably going about 55 mph). My boyfriend slammed on his breaks and the dog went flying into the back of his seat and yelped. The beast slowly and nonchalantly turned his head sideways and looked at us intensely with despondent, hollow eyes, yet in an almost scolding look, then vanished. I got the definite feeling that this thing very purposely walked out in front of us with every intention of making us wreck.

About a month later, my boyfriend was traveling the same highway at night with a friend, whom he had told not a thing about the creepy supernatural beast we had seen in Transylvania. When they came into Transylvania, what did they see? None other than the same "haint" that tried to make us crash a month earlier.

I have not been able to find anything that would help explain what I saw when I was nineteen, until recently. It turns out, according to another ghost story website, this place is very haunted. There has been a body of a woman with a goat's head sited at the Transylvania post office many times. How interesting!

Other hauntings by aimspader

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, aimspader, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-03)
Could it have been a ghost wearing a buffalo skin over his head? Like they used to wear for the buffalo dances before the hunt? I know that's more of a plains thing, but maybe he got waylaid and lost.
CorrellaBlack268 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-09)
I live in Transylvania, Louisiana and I have never in my life seen a ghost near the post office. I've lived in Transylvania, La 6 years and I have pasted the post office, at night, plenty of time and never seen a ghost, like what you described, as I passed by the water tower or post office. I'm not going to lie though, I have seen strange figure at one of my family members house on Peacan Rd and heard foot step come from the road and then into the grass near by my house. Well you never know it might be things like that outside at night that I've never payed any attention to. All I know is out of all the times my family and I have been out at night, we have never experienced anything like that of what you have... ❤ 🤔
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-13)
What a spooky story. I'm glad you didn't get into a car accident. I would've kept going straight through the sucker! Lol. I wonder why that town seems to have more then one half animal/half human spirit residing there? Maybe brought on by conjuring spirits of some kind? I've been in some desolate places with friends where people (most likely teenagers) have tried practicing black magic because you can see some of the reminants and it seems to taint the area around with negative energy and sometimes negative spirits. Just a thought.
❤ 😊 ❤
flamewithin (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-30)
😊 it is always the little towns, that have the strange creatures isn't it 😆 maybe that's why no one lives there. Best place for a prison if the gauards don't keep them inmates where they belong, theyll send the beast in 😜
NightGhost (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
Wow you do have amazing stories. You keep me reading! You just reminded me of a story I should post that is in the same category. Have you ever watched the movie Transylvania? I think that's the name of it with John Candy, Chevy Chase, Dan Ankroyd and Demi Moore. Please keep posting stories! 😊
rootwomin (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-31)
please do share some of the voodoo lore of the area. I would be very interested in learning more and possibly discussing such off line. Feel free to email me directly.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-08)
I am with Kim, I think I am going to have to check out this sleepy little hamlet down in Louisiana when I get the time. Thanks Aimspader.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-08)
That is a very interesting story. I may want to make a point to visit this small town.

Thank you for sharing,
God Bless!
aimspader (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-08)
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I will try to get a sketch to accompany my story real soon. The beast walked upright like a human, but it's upper body was like that of a "bison", especially the head and face. I believe it even had horns, but I am not 100% on that one. I just know it freaked me out, but being half American Indian, I have seen some very strange things and have been told some fascinating stories by my family of creatures such as the one I saw that night.

Some call them shape-shifters. I believe that is what I saw, a spirit of a human who had strong magical powers and is able to transform into an animal(a shaman, or medicine man, yes). Perhaps there was a connection to voodoo because of the history of the area.
vickifigueroa (5 stories) (34 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-08)
I was going to ask the same thing as Athena.
Would be real cool if you can get a drwing of what you had seen that night. I think its cool that ghosts are around, But half human and half animal? Thats just creepy. If I had seen what you saw, I don't know what I wouldve done, Probably pee my pants haha 😆
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-07)
Hi Aimspader, Just wondering if you'd be up to drawing a picture of the being, even a light sketch would be very informative. What part of the being looked buffolo-like? More descriptions please 😁.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-07)
Umm... Now that I think about it the monster she saw was more like a centaur. Another idea; animistic cultures often emulate the powers of certain animals in order draw on their power. Do you think you saw a shaman? Maybe a ghost of one or a projection? Would love to know if you are leaning that way.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-07)
OMG! Who names these places? Scary name for a story and your story is part of my favorites now... Just wanted to tell you that an old friend of mines mother saw an 'monster' like the one you saw. She was in a cornfield...
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-06)
Aimspader, I agree with Zag! What an experience that must have been. I'd have been pretty scared, and if I was your boyfriend I'd never gone down that stretch of road again! I wonder if the signs telling people not to pick up hitch hikers had anything to do with sightings of that creature? Thanks for sharing your story and looking forward to more!
Zagrebacki_Lovac (18 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-06)
A very interesting story
And what a weird name for a town in Lousiana
BEST OF LUCK 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: