You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Katrina Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Katrina Ghost

 

First and foremost, let me say that I have never really been a believer in the supernatural. It's not that I don't think that there's more to life than what we can physically see, it's just that I've never really had a ghostly encounter and I'm just like most ordinary people, going about my business, paying bills, trying to make ends meet and so forth. That was until Hurricane Katrina.

I'm a Military Policeman in the Air Force Reserves in Texas. We were activated in August of 2005 at the behest of our governor to help the battered state of Louisiana. Part of our job was to patrol the streets of New Orleans with food, water, and what little medication we had left to offer the citizens of New Orleans. We were also there to offer transportation to those who wished to leave but were stuck without a means to travel. Contrary to what the then Mayor Ray Nagen stated on TV and Radio, we were not there to harass black people. We were volunteers who were trying to help fellow Americans.

That being said, I remember one evening we were patrolling near the ninth ward (not a very nice place, even before the hurricane hit.) My Squad and I were walking in the middle of the street yelling out that we were Military Police, we had food, water, and a way out if anyone needed assistance. I could see every house had been boarded up (to keep looters out) and many people spraypainted slogans on the front and sides of their homes. "YOU LOOT, I SHOOT" and "YOU LOOT, YOU DIE" were the ones that stuck out most in my mind. Slowly, some people did emerge from their homes and asked for water, food, and medicine. We gave them whatever we had and asked them if they needed to be evacuated. Many refused to leave their homes for fear of losing what little they had left.

Anyway, I noticed that all the houses on this one particular block had been boarded up, save one. It was a typical southern plantation style home which looked like it had been built around the time of the Civil War. A small figure of a little girl caught my eye as I looked up at the second floor. I smiled and waved at her mainly to let her know that I was there to help and that she had nothing to fear. She seemed to smile and wave back from what I could tell. I called out to her to get her mommy or daddy but she just stood there staring at me. It was then that a kind of cold shiver ran up my spine. I really couldn't understand why. It was my Cop Sense kicking in. Two tours in Iraq and over 20 years as a Sheriff's Deputy had developed this. So when it went off, I paid attention.

Just then, a elderly man on a bike rode up on us asking if we could help evacuate his family of seven out of New Orleans. I told him we'd be happy to help him out and I asked him if he knew anything about the little girl and her family living in the old plantation home. He looked at me kind of puzzled and asked, "What girl?" I turned around and pointed to the second floor window but she was gone. I told him that I had just seen a little girl at the window and she waved to me. His eyes widened a little and he just smiled and said, "So, you've seen her too, eh? He put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Son, there ain't nobody been livin in that house for over 100 years!"

I started to protest but he just shook his head, laughed and walked away. As he was leaving I could've sworn I heard him say, "Some things about New Orleans are better left unsaid."

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, john6962, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-09-29)
I got goosebumps from beginning to end. I second what Griff84 about how it's not exactly creepy but I still got goosebumps because it is a child spirit. I could imagine the whole scene, very sad for the residents there. God bless them. Thanks for the story.
Bushi_Mas (2 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-09-29)
it was a nice story but gave me chills aswell:-) good luck for your future, stay blessed.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2014-09-29)
hi, john6962... Cool story... I believe in your story... Creepy.

Thanks for sharing.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-09-27)
Hi, I am from Louisiana' but born in new Orleans it's sure have slots of paranormal in Louisiana 😊 and you must has caught a old history of southern little girl at the southern home window.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2014-09-26)
Hello John,
I too am curious as to whether the house was checked, just in case a child was there? I can all too easily imagine that in the aftermath of Katrina, someone could seek shelter in an empty house... And I'm willing to bet you guys did, because it was a child you saw. But, still would be nice to hear it.
Having asked that, I'm curious if anyone else in your squad notice anything? Either of the girl or any other instance?
cutiepie11 (17 posts)
-2
9 years ago (2014-09-26)
Wish-Not I never meant to point anything negative in the story, I think you did not understand what I have mentioned in the comment below and you need to change your point of view
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-09-26)
john6962- Firstly (odd word), Thank you for your service. I have always admired and respected the willingness and courage that it takes to do what you do.

Secondly, what an experience that must have been. Wow. I kind of would have imagined that the energy in New Orleans must have been running high. Really cool moment. Thanks for sharing.

Lastly, cutiepie11 I feel the majority of the stories on this site are fact based. This is NOT a fiction site. I personally view EACH story as an actual experience. Although the BS blanket has been thrown at some, I truly believe everyone believes they have experienced something. Your sense is not needed for validation. Off my soap box.
elnoraemily (guest)
+3
9 years ago (2014-09-26)
New Orleans has a rich, ghost filled history.

By chance, did you check the house to confirm that she was not there?

This was a really nice encounter and was wonderful to read.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-09-26)
Hi john6962, welcome to YGS.

I really enjoyed reading about your experience. Its funny, because although this is not negative in any way, I always get more creeped out by child 'ghosts' over all else, I also find it sad as I think the poor little ones never had a chance to live properly.

I like to think that this little girl was just looking at you and your colleagues because you were there to help, and by the sounds of it in that neighbourhood, that perhaps didn't happen so much. I think it nice that you and her shared a moment.

Thanks for posting 😊
cutiepie11 (17 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-09-26)
Well john6962, though your story was short but it was really interesting and I can make out that it is a true story, because I cannot sense anything which indicates the story to be made up. I enjoyed reading your story, thank you for it:-)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: