You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: The Things They Know

Real Ghost Stories

The Things They Know

 

I've only heard my father tell this story a couple times before, and only once did he tell me the full account -- or at least, as much of the story as he could bear telling. He told me shortly after I came home and shared with him my first, and likely my last, ghost hunting adventure in a demonic house past midnight beneath the light of a full summer's moon... But that's another story.

This story here is not a pleasant memory for him, likely one I'll never hear of again and one I don't want to ask about. There are many exact details I don't remember anymore, but it is enough to have left a lasting impression on me. It is one of two reasons I will never touch or in anyway participate with the use of a Ouija board.

When my father was younger, maybe beginning high school or right before it, a cousin and he decided to experiment with an old Ouija board at our former family house. It was the middle of the night, and the adults were all asleep as they usually are when kids are up to trouble. The two boys set the board up and got started. I believe they were half expecting it to be something silly, a dare between teenage boys who instinctively like poking at things they probably shouldn't.

To their surprise and growing interest, the Ouija board worked. They asked it many questions that night, and it provided answer after answer. It even told them things no child should know. In particular, it told my father that his own father would die soon. Within a year. My father was spooked, but I don't think he thought much of it. Grandfather was a descendant of mountain men who out-lived their peers by decades, and he was the healthiest person on the street. At the very least, he wasn't old enough to die.

The boys then asked the spirit to manifest itself. It agreed. But it said it would only do so in a little-known cave up the street in the mountains.

And here is where the boys realized their grave mistake in tampering with things that should be left alone. As clear as if someone had spoken to them, they knew immediately that if they went up to that cave like the thing wanted, they would not be coming back.

They ended the session and put the board away immediately. My father, at least, never touched one again.

Within a year, my grandfather suffered a fatal freak accident. It shouldn't have killed him. But he fell into a coma. In a matter of days, he had passed on.

I don't know what else the thing told those boys. Maybe it's better I never found out. We don't live in that house anymore, and I never lived in it long enough to have any memories, nor have I heard any stories of paranormal incidents involving the house after that night. Nothing has ever happened in our current house, thankfully. And as far as I'm concerned, I'm keeping it that way.

Other hauntings by WesternWanderer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, WesternWanderer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-09)
WesternWanderer, I think it's good that the boys heeded better sense and didn't follow the spirit into the cave. Only God knows what waited for them there. This story is seriously creepy.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2014-10-04)
Well, on the upside, it doesn't sound as if the boys had unleashed anything with using the Ouija board. Still very strange that the spirit or whatever they made contact with would try to lure them up to a cave. That could have gone very badly for them.
Very strange about your Grandfather as well.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-02)
Oh that is super creepy. I see on tv, read stories, etc. All about ouija boards and how they usually summon bad spirits/demons and sometimes create a portal to the spirit world [kinda like how the mirror does create a portal in some cases] and it just creeps me out. I've been offered to use one and I always so no. I get laughed at but I'm not going to be the one with a demon on my shoulders. I really hope your grandfather didn't die because the evil spirit said it would, that would be horrible and sad.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: