You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Was It the Min Min Lights?

Real Ghost Stories

Was It the Min Min Lights?

 

This is a story that my dad told me that happened to him many years ago. He was out Roo (Kangaroo) shooting with eight of his friends on a large property in South West corner of New South Wales, it was about one or two o'clock in the morning so still very dark when one of the guys gun seized up or something, so they stopped the ute so this guy could go around into the head light and try and fix it.

While the others were waiting they saw something that not one of them could explain a large ball of light appeared and bounced across the ground around them completely lighting up the whole area as bright as day then it just bounced off into the bush. Out of the nine there, eight of them saw it, the only one who didn't see it was the guy fixing his gun in the head light.

A day or to later the story of this strange light had got around town and from there ABC news found out about it and reported a story on it. Most people say that it was the Min Min* light but it had never been reported in this area before and never since but all I know is not one of the guys have been back to area since and not one of them will go again.

*Min Min light is mysterious Australian outback phenomenon best known manifestation of the Australian "ghost light" genre is the famous Min Min Light. Hundreds of people over the years have told of seeing the Min Min Light in the Boulia or Winton district (this is about 2000 kilometers from were my dad and his friends saw the light). It has been reported high in the sky, at times oscillating up and down like a yo-yo. A frequent feature is that, unlike a headlight, it lights its surrounds on all sides. It appears to be a curious, friendly light, often approaching but never threatening, although at times causing panic in the minds of the beholders.

If you talk to old timers out there who had seen it and they were terrified by it, it's a bit embarrassing for them because hardened outback men can be brought to tears by this thing. It really is quite alarming.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bundles, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scoobydoo06 (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
its called, ST. ELMO's fire. It is from my understanding a good spirit who I guess is stuck on earth for whatever reason. But it is completely harmless.
chinchai (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-10)
Hi nich,

I'm from the Philippines also I'm from Negros province) In our native dialect, we call this ball of fire "santermo".

Thanks,

Chinchai
McKnee (4 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-06)
Hi Bundles,

I enjoyed your story :) I think it may have been the same thing I saw in my story "The Light Show", it sounds very similar. Although I've never actually heard of minute min lights, but I'm from the uk. Are they the same type of thing as will-o-wisps?

Take care

Knee
xXx
bundles (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-11)
I forgot to say that I have been to where they saw the light, and it is littoral in the middle of no where on private property so there’s no way it could been a car, house, people passing though or any thing like that.
bundles (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-11)
hi Abby
It was about 20 to 30 years ago when my dad saw this light.
My dad and his mates have no idea of what it was. We’ve had many different theories over the years from gases escaping the earths crust to the good old UFO. Me I really don’t know.
As for the hunting, where I am from Kangaroos can get very over populated and do quite a lot of damage to crops and even to the native bush land in the area. Now days you get a lot of contractor that will come and hunt them for you under strict guide lines for the great demand on there meat, but back then I’m not sure.
Hunting is not my cup of tea either, I have never been and I don’t ever plan on going.

And Nich that is a story about the "sentilmo" or "sentermo" is pretty cool in a creepy kind of way.

Till next time Bundles
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-11)
Dear bundles,

I'd like to turn the tables and ask what your dad and friends thought those lights were? As well as, what do you think those lights were? What is your take on it and explanation, if you have one?

Do the hunter of Roo eat them? Would not be my cup of tea or preference at all. I cannot quite fathom or understand it, but nor do I understand the need for hunting in this day and age. To each his own.

Await your feedback about what your dad and yourself believe these lights to be.

Thanks, Abby
nich (4 stories) (30 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-10)
hi bundles! In my hometown (philippines) we call it "sentilmo" or "sentermo" in some regions. It's a ball of fire that sometimes chases people until they are lost. Some of the oldies says it's a soul of a dead soldier in times of world war 1 or 2. Many incidents happened in my place too. Farmers go home late at night and saw a sentilmo, chased by it. They said, if you see a sentilmo, better wear your shirt the other way around so you won't get lost. I haven't had any experience with sentilmo but there's no harm in following what the oldies says.

Takecare! 😁
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-08)
Hmm, maybe the light wanted them to stop shooting the roos. Sounds like that of a nature spirit to me, but that is just a guess. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: