You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Odd Occurrences Growing Up

Real Ghost Stories

Odd Occurrences Growing Up

 

I have a few stories to tell, and will be posting more as I've just found this site. I will start with the house I grew up in. There are many odd occurrences I remember from this house. It wasn't haunted; however, I feel at times things are attracted to me, and something there was attracted to me.

In the house I grew up in (1990-2010) I never felt alone. If I was left alone there for whatever reason at any age, I would always make sure to leave lots of lights on. When I was a kid I would wait for my parents to got to bed to sneak downstairs and sleep on the couch every night because my room scared me.

When I was about 8, one night something in the living room woke me up. Like a tapping noise on the windows above the couch I was sleeping on. Being 8 I just lay there frozen. When I calmed down a little I rolled over and faced the kitchen. As soon as I rolled over the ceiling light fell off the kitchen ceiling and smashed onto the floor. My mom and dad woke up and I was already up but pretended to be asleep because I knew something was wrong and I was scared.

When I was 15 I had my first "real" boyfriend. My parents went on vacation to Florida to watch car races. They told my brother not to let my boyfriend sleep over. I think he could really care less, as long as we were quiet. When we were going to bed the first night, we slept on the couch in the living room. We shut off the TV, pulled our covers up, and started to go to sleep. I heard him say, "I love you", so I said "I love you too" and so did he. We both realized that we had heard someone else say "I love you" clear as day. The voice didn't sound like a man, or a woman, it's very hard to explain. We slept with the TV on for the rest of the night.

The next night when we were going to sleep we heard the kitchen's backdoor knob jiggle. It was locked thankfully. We ran to the kitchen quietly because we thought someone was trying to break in. We listened very quietly behind the door for at least 10 minutes. We heard multiple people going up and down the back stairs quietly. We both grabbed huge kitchen knives and called the cops. The cops said they didn't see anything out of the ordinary, and the ground was wet so they couldn't see any fresh footsteps.

One night when I was 16 I had a male friend over, we were getting ready to go out for the night. He was in the upstairs bathroom which is directly across the hall from my bedroom. Both doors were open so I could see him out of the corner of my eye. I was in my room and saw my sister go by with a laundry basket. I said, "Hey, I didn't know you were home." She didn't say anything, so I said "Beth?" Still nothing. I came out of my room and went to go walk towards hers when I realized her light was off. I told her I didn't think it was funny, reached in her room put the light on and she wasn't there. I told my friend that I saw my sister and she wasn't even home. He said, "I saw that lady too, I thought it was her." He wanted to leave my house so quick after that and he never came back inside my house. If he had to pick me up he'd wait outside on the front porch.

There are a lot more minor things, but those are the majors. The last major thing from that house was hearing my father's voice. When I was 16 I dropped out of high school and had a kid shortly after. In 2010, 1 month after my dad passed away (I was 20) I finished adult high school and was excited and wanted to tell my mom. I wasn't living in my house anymore, I was living a few towns over with my son's father. I went to see my mom and tell her that I was going to be graduating. After I told her, we were all sitting around watching TV and I heard my dad clear as day call out, "BUBBY?" Which is what he called my mom, and his voice came from the bedroom where he stayed until he went to a nursing home and passed away there. No one else heard it. My face froze up and my mom asked me what was wrong, I said, "You didn't hear that? I just heard dad call you." She said no she didn't hear anything. I started freaking out and crying hysterically. Twenty minutes after I calmed down, I left and went back to my apartment. The whole drive I was afraid to look in the rear view mirror. I thought for sure I'd see someone.

In 2010, we moved out of the house because we couldn't afford it anymore after my dad passed. I still have vivid dreams of it. Every single thing is the same in my dreams as how it was in real life, even though I've seen the home since we've moved and nothing is the same. I don't think the house was haunted I just think I am very in tune with things like this.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, meqanrose670, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

thedudebraski (1 stories) (9 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-10-20)
well thankfully it was your dad, when my grandpa passed away, a week later I was with my grandma and mom and my grandma had a dimming lamp in the living room... When we were in the kitchen we seen the light get dim then bright and dim again. We all laughed cause we knew it was him seems like something he would do and my grandma said "alright manuel" and we all had a warm feeling of love... Anyways since it was your dad maybe that was his final "goodbye"
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-19)
meganrose
It is possible that your house was sort of a portal to the spirit world and spirits would come and go. I grew up in a house like that but we had an under ground stream running under one corner of the house and there was a lot of Quartz crystal in the yard.
I am sorry to hear about your father dying but I'm glad you were able to hear him say your moms nick name. He was trying to let her know he was still around, protecting her. I hope he has followed her to her new home
Rarrkel (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-19)
That's really interesting. I've heard things in my house too, though I try not to think of anything like ghosts but some things are just not easy to explain. I've heard footsteps on the landing when everyone else is in bed. We live in a semi-detached house so sometimes you do hear people walking next door but I swear it was louder than that of the noises from next door. I haven't seen anyone like you have but sometimes I think some things are just too weird to explain, especially when there is another witness as well.
meqanrose670 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
It was not a ceiling fan it was a big glass bowl that had been there for YEARS and YEARS.

Yes, I have experienced things pretty much everywhere I go. I often feel crazy telling people things since they often tell me there is no such thing. It's okay with me if they don't believe I know what I know.

In my first apartment one night the printer turned on ran its demo course and shut off when it was over. My sons father witnessed it and was equally freaked out.

I don't think it was a break in either. This same thing had occurred many times, sounding like someone was in the house listening outside the door. I called the cops about 3 times and had cops come out 3 times. Each time scared out of my mind that someone was in the house.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
"As soon as I rolled over the ceiling light fell off the kitchen ceiling and smashed onto the floor." - That is actually one of my phobias! Maybe that phobia is not as irrational as I previously assumed! Was it a fan or just a light? Brackets can come lose a lot or the screws that hold the actually glass light covering on. Fans can actually swing themselves loose (the one in my kitchen has to get tightened every few months).

For some reason, I find the "I love you" sort of sad. It would seem to me like something watching and nostalgically saying it. That is just the vibe I got from reading it.

Hopefully, that was not an attempted break in- if it was, you did everything right.

It's possible that your sister left an energy path and it was just repeating. It's never been proven, but it's a theory.

I am very sorry for the loss of your dad. Have you had experiences outside of the house?
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
I really feel sad to hear about loss of your father. May his sole rest in peace. I totally agree with what you had said after your father's death because I too had the same feelings when I lost my father in Feb. 2010.
I liked your story and I am welcoming you In Y.G.S

WITH BEST REGARDS
Sushant
Revajane (1 stories) (71 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
If you think that you are just extra sensitive to them, my question would be: Have you seen or heard anything anyplace else while living in that home like at a friends home or at school?
That house could have been haunted and you could be sensitive to the spirit world both could be true.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
That sounds like a residual haunting so I don't see the fear in anything like that. Maybe your dad was trying to come through and let you know he's watching over you guys, which I think is sweet.:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: