You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: The Old Hotel

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Hotel

 

In North Texas there is an old hotel that was built in the late 1950s as the tallest building west of the Mississippi River at the time of its completion. My grandfather worked there until the day he died and my father worked there for many years before passing the baton to me.

I was in the A/V warehouse one night working late, checking equipment when I heard a loud bang from the front of the warehouse. When I went to investigate, I saw one of our large steel storage cabinets had come open and the handle had left an impression in the cinder block wall. Knowing that the doors always opened a little on their own anyway, I closed the doors and stuck a pen in the padlock loop to keep the doors closed. Nothing else happened for the next 10 or so minutes while I waited out the clock to leave.

I locked up the warehouse and set the security system and when I turned around to start heading to the main hotel, the 300 foot distance seemed to double. The entire back house was darkened and I got this uneasy feeling. I started to quickly make my way to the skybridge that connected the convention center to the hotel. The closer I got, the more I felt this pressure weighing down on me and I had this horrifying feeling that if I turned around to look behind me, it would be the end of me. I kept feeling this pressure closing in on me and putting more and more pressure on me. Then, as soon as I stepped over the threshold of the skybridge, it was gone. Replaced with a familiar comforting feeling.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, XSmoky, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-24)
Thanks for the reply XSmoky. I was forgotten to greet you for having an account in YGS, so please accept my greetings too.

With best regards
XSmoky (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-24)
Cerberus7 - I was almost certain my grandfather was there as he died 30 years ago and the convention center is 20 years old (an addon to the old hotel).

Isandhu - Yes, A/V as in audio/visual. In the warehouse, nothing has power except the overhead lights and at that time of night, only the emergency lighting in the convention center is on, to save on the electric bill, even the elevators and escalators were shut down.

Sushantkar - I actually spoke with a man who worked with my grandfather and still worked there about another issue from another part of the building and there is definitely history in the original building.

Wish-Not - My grandfather died when I was 3, so I never got stories from him. My old man is tight-lipped and I tried asking him once about something I saw and he just told me that an A/V tech didn't need to be up there. As for the convention center, it was built on a neighboring block and I have had difficulty finding what was there before.
Cerberus7 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-23)
Hi XSmoky.
Wow... The way you wrote this is like a check list of the exact feelings I have gone through with my chasing ghost experiences.
Mine mostly took place a number of times through my childhood years at my Grandmothers house in a hallway. But the feeling of the distance doubling and for me it was like time seemed to slow even though I know I was moving as fast as I could. But the pressure and fear of going to die if you turned or weren't quick enough. What really resonates with me especially is the feeling of immediate comfort after a certain point as if someone was saying "There, there it's gone now."...Weird.
You know I've been wanting to comment on this one for almost a week now but I was having internet issues. Replies would not post. So tonight it works fine and I've written this thing at least five times the last few nights... Never the same way of course! LOL
Well tonight I got to thinking something different... Something I've considered at least a few times before in my own case and now the fact you say your Grandfather has passed away clicked with me. Maybe your Grandfather had something to do with the comforting feeling. I never met my Grandfather but I have thought maybe he was helping protect me through the attacks. Being your Grandpa patrolled the same halls maybe he was watching your back that night... Just a thought.
What do you think?
Thanks for sharing your story.
Hope to hear more.
viddhesh (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-20)
Hey...i feel the same way when I am alone at my house... I scared a lot... Many way I try to brave my self but at that point its scared me... What shoud I do to for bring brave...
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-18)
I sometimes get feelings like that in stairwells and I think it's (probably) just a function of the location. Stairwells are long, echo-y, sometimes drafty, and you can't see past the next corner in either direction, so naturally unease-producing. On the other hand, I've read that liminal spaces (places of transition) attract paranormal energy. You say you were in the A/V warehouse checking equipment. Does that stand for audio-visual? I've read that certain electrical frequencies can produce feelings of being watched or the sensation of your skin tingling. The equipment in the room could be responsible for creating at least some of the feelings you experienced. On the other hand, it could be something more. I agree with the other commenters. If you want to know more, ask around and find out about the history of the hotel.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-16)
Hi XSmoky! I think that warehouse must have something connected to paranormal activity and as said by wish not you should ask from you elders about the history of that place.

With best regards
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-16)
XSmoky- That was an odd experience. Do you know if there is a history of "odd" things happening? Did your father or grandfather ever mention something that might have happened during their tenure?

Keep us updated. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: