You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Nan

Real Ghost Stories

My Nan

 

My nan died when I was a few months old. So I never actually met her. One night I was asleep when I heard my name being called out, I woke up with a fright. I sat up ready to get out of bed so I could go into mum's room down the hall because I was scared when I saw something at my door. I thought it might have been a robber so I laid back down quickly and covered my head with my sheets.

A few minutes later I wanted to see if the person had left so I peeked out from under my blankets and it was still there. So I just stared at it hoping it couldn't see me. I realized it was a lady, she had her arms crossed like she was mad staring at me, not moving. It was obvious she wasn't alive. I quickly closed my eyes hoping morning would hurry up and come.

I didn't told mum straight away because I didn't think she would believe me until a few months later, we were talking about ghosts and I told her. She told me to give her a description so I explained that the lady had her arms crossed a dressing-gown on with the last three or so buttons open near the end of it and mum said that it was her mum. I guess my nan had unfinished business that night because I have never seen her again.

Why would she have stood at my door why didn't she come closer to me?

Codi.xo

Other hauntings by Miss_Codi_47

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Miss_Codi_47, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-11)
Dear Miss_Codi_47,

Thank you for returning with your feedback and response to myself and others. Appreciate you also taking your time to personally answer questions for fellow posters.

Blessings, Abby
Miss_Codi_47 (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-10)
Thanks for the comments guys and taking intrest in my story.
vickifigueroa mum said that my nan was never actually happy even at weddings she would stand there with her arms crossed and mad looks. Very rarely she smiled. Thanks for the question...
Curious this is for you:
So I covered my head with my blanket because I always thought from a young age if I can't see you then you can't see me. I had no oher way out of my room so at the age of 11 with a unknown person at me door what was I meant to do go ask them to leave me alone? I think not I was to scared. I was extra scared because of the way she looked at me with her body language (arms crossed). I automaticly thought shes angry at me what have I done... Oh no I'm in trouble.
When I say it was obvius she wasn't alive its because you could tell. It's really hard to explain but she was so pale and everything was white. Not like an alive person.
I didn't think mum would believe me because I was 11 years old and if I told her I saw what I thought was a ghost she might have laughed at me, turns out shes had a similar experience. How could I ignore it, easy I closed my eyes with tears running down my cheek because I was soo scared. I laid there thinking of who she might be nothing came to mind. I thought for a while about it before I went to sleep but I was to scared to talk to her being my first "ghostly" incounter and not sure what to expect. Believe me if she came back one my time now being 15 and not easily scared I'd talk to her. Thankyou for your curiosity
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Dear Miss_Codi_47,

In my opinion, the lady at your door calling your name may well have been your grandmother as confirmed by your description to your mother. As Shane said she may not have wanted to scare you anymore than she already had, and chose to stay at a distance. Whether a person is alive or dead they will still want to check in on their loved ones, even if they know they might scare them, not be accepted or even when there were strained relations. It is a human thing to do alive or dead. Many want to know what is going on with loved ones and people they have known in their life, as well as extended families and connections.

I appreciate your story. Thanks, --Abby
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Why she would have stood at your door and why she didn't come closer to you are good questions. Better questions are: why would you just cover your head with a blanket if a strange woman you'd never met was standing in your house in the hallway at night? Either you're incredibly brave or something doesn't add-up here. Why would your mother not believe you that someone was in the house one night. That seems like the kind of thing a parent would want to know: "Hey, Ma, by the way, there was a lady standing in my doorway last night..." Um, yeah, I think that warrants an alert. And finally, how was it "obvious she wasn't alive," and, if so, how could you simply ignore it and try to go to sleep?

Curious.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Perhaps she wanted just another peek at you as you were only a few months old when she passed. Speaking as a grand mother of a beautiful boy, I know the instinct to see and love your grand children can be just as strong as it is with your children.

Feel blessed and honored, not frightened. She may now be able to rest since she has seen you.

God Bless!
vickifigueroa (5 stories) (34 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Thats awesome your gram came by to check up on you... I just wonder why she was standing like that with her arms crossed like she was mad or something...
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
As she was unknown to you she probably didn't want to cause you anymore fright than she already had. Loved ones often return to check on their families, even those they have never meet. She came to you in a form that you didn't know but that your mother recognized easily. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: