You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Fatherly Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

A Fatherly Ghost

 

In most of the few paranormal experiences I've had, I have never noticed anything bad happen to me because of them. I mean sure I would have nightmares from time to time; there was nothing emotionally scarring about these experiences (even though I still think back often on them). This story took place around the age of 14 or 15, when I had moved downstairs into our basement after my older sister had had her first child (he was about 6-7 months old) and still lived at home with me and my mother while she attended college.

I had a tree that had originally been my sister's and it was covered in little white Christmas lights (to serve as a nightlight since the basement was always so dark). The stairway light was on since I hated the dark and my basement was always creepy like I was being watched. I still get chills to this day going down there. Anyways, it was around midnight when this happened. I had been asleep and felt like something was tickling my toes gently so I woke up. I looked up and saw what looked like my father standing halfway behind my door. Only half of his body stuck out from behind the door (I had it halfway closed since the darkness outside the door scared me). Looking back now, it definitely did not feel like my father; plus he was gone at the time on his job so I don't know why I thought that.

Anyways, I smiled and got out of bed, thinking he had come home and was stopping in to say hello before going upstairs to bed (I feel like I was a dumb blonde you see in the traditional horror films that always gets killed first because of her curiosity--"curiosity killed that cat"). When I got up he kind of tilted his head to look at me. He was tall and tan like my father, with shaved white hair and overalls and a red t-shirt. When I started toward the door he looked surprised and kind of "floated" back behind the door where I couldn't see him. He didn't step or even move his legs, he just kind of "floated". I opened the door all the way and there was no one there.

I looked out into the darkness of the basement (even with the stair light on it's still pretty dark) and I thought I heard an older man chuckling. Of course my fear and adrenaline finally kicked in and I shut my door and scurried back to the safety of my bed. Hiding under the covers, I thought I felt someone rub my hair gently like a father would do to comfort his child. Of course again I finally passed out.

Turns out my father came home the day after I saw this ghost/entity/whatever you wish to call it. I often have to wonder why some ghosts I see look like family members...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Searching_Stars, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-24)
Hi Searching_Stars! Nice story. I too agreed with Chan123495 that it might be someone from your relations who might have come to visit you on that.

With regards
Searching_Stars (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-23)
Could have been the electric work giving me the me the creepy feeling while I lived down there but I don't think it gave me hallucinations. That ghost was the only one I encountered while I lived down there except for one on the stairs in my other story.
Chan123495 (4 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-22)
this story you have shared is a very good one but you said it was like one of you're family memebers if it wasn't you're dad it can be one of you're uncles or you're grandfather who loved you a lot and the spirit has come to check on you check on that
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-21)
I do agree with MrMonty that electric fields cause creepy, depressive feelings and hallucinations. Because of all the wiring that runs between the basement and upper floors of a house, basement levels are typically very high. If they are high enough, they will interfere with the electric signals your brain naturally sends.

While the hallucinations typically are not vivid, they can be.

I don't think getting up was a dumb reaction. It's perfectly logical to assume that it was your father and react happily.
mrmonty (8 stories) (48 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-21)
Searching_Stars
Well, if it was a spirit it seemed to be a kind one, but the one thing I noted with your story was you said you where down in the basement, where there is usually electric fields from the wiring in the house. These fields can give you a creepy or tingling feeling and in some cases hallucinations-just a possible explanation.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-21)
Searching_Stars- Well you sure have a habit of investigating what would have scared the poop out of most! Gee Wezzz! I'm willing to bet these entities are asking each other "WTH?" lol
You were much braver than I young lady!
Great story. Thanks for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: