You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Dover Demon

Real Ghost Stories

Dover Demon

 

I just wanted to post another incident that happened to me when I was much younger. I don't know how many people are from the area I grow up in, the Town of Westwood, Mass, which is right next to the town of Dover, Mass. In fact, we lived less then a mile from the Dover dump.

I don't know how many people might have heard of or remember stories that were circulating back in the 70's about a creature that was named "The Dover Demon". This creature supposedly looked something like a large dog or coyote if I remember correctly and two things that distinguished it were it huge red eyes and its ability to stand on its hind legs (like a bear). While coming home one night, both myself and my brother saw something on the road that was very disquieting to us.

We had been over to see my mother's aunts and they had been telling us stories about the wee people over in Ireland, which might have gotten our imagination stirred up. We were riding in the back of our parents' station wagon when we both thought we saw something come out of the woods and into the street. Whatever it was seemed to have large red eyes and was running like a dog or coyote might run, but whatever it was seemed abnormally fast, almost keeping up with the car.

We did seem to finally outrun whatever it was, but when we got home the two of us ran into the house and got the door closed at quick as possible. Like I said, it could have just been our overactive imagination, or it could have been some kind of wild animal (there is a lot of forest in the area), but I was just wondering if anyone had seen anything like the Dover Demon? Or remember any other incidents involving it. Thanks

Other hauntings by mrmonty

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mrmonty, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-27)
The Dover Demon is completely out of my knowledge and where I live is a city, so far from having coyotes as well, so I won't be concluding anything out of this story. Paranormal or not, I enjoyed a good read. Thank you. (:
-Shady.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2014-10-25)
sushant, you're welcome! The US has a lot of strange stories of even stranger creatures.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-24)
Thanks valkricry your link that really helped knowing that creature.

With best regards
Sushant
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-24)
MsColeman, please read this part of the comment guidelines:

"Please do not copy paste the same post under different stories. Each one of them are different and deserve a personal feedback. Also, do not simply request people to read your stories. Your feedback should be about the author's stories, not yours. It's fine to mention it if they are related, but the message itself as a whole should be about the author's experience. Finally, the comments section is not a recruiting tool for your particular group or organization, please don't constantly ask people to contact you for more information instead of helping directly."
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2014-10-24)
mrmonty,
I enjoyed your account very much. I have heard of the Dover demon, however the description differs vastly from what you recall seeing. Http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/lost-tapes/creatures/dover-demon.htm

Like you said, it was probably a dog or coyote.

This comment from MsColeman is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-23)
Although, this topic is totally new form me and I haven't heard anything about that creature before; but I don't think that it has any connection to the Paranormal or supernatural entities.
Though, the above written points are only my perception.

With regards
mrmonty (8 stories) (48 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-22)
What my brother and I saw was mostly likely a wild animal, the area is quite wooded. (in fact a wolverine was killed over in the dump after it had killed a couple dogs). Anyone who knows about wolverines would know they are extremely rare in this area, the last one spotted in the Northeast was 17 years ago, I think. I only heard of the Dover Demon a few years back and there were supposedly people who had more detailed and longer encounters with the thing.
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-22)
Loved your account.

I too used to live close to the city dump, and there are lots of creatures attracted to that smell. I recall once seeing a small bear, probably skinny from the winter hibernation stand up on its hind legs and sniff the air in my direction. I was always told not to try and run from a bear - they can out run you. At some point, I think it got spooked, because it took off lightening fast, for which I'm thankful.

I have to agree with elnoraemily - it was most likely wildlife of some kind, but creepy none-the-less when there are myths associated with your area.

Thanks for sharing!
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-22)
Just FYI, I used to have a Siberian Husky dog named, Mercy who had one blue eye. At night, the blue eye would glow red, so it is possible for an animal's eyes to glow red without it being a supernatural thing.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-22)
A coyote can run up to about 45 miles an hour (on average), as can many dogs, like Greyhounds. Bobcats, which are fairly common in Massachusetts, are also quite fast.

At night, most animals eyes will reflect different colors, appearing anything from a solid white to red.

I think that you guys most likely saw a dog or coyote. A dog seems more likely to chase a car, but coyotes have been known to pull such stunts as well. Bobcats are more aggressive and like to take down large prey, so that is also a possibility.

Thank you for a unique account!
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-22)
Great story thanks for sharing. Good thing there ain't a Dover demon in the Dover I live near. I live in Maine.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: