You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Dishwasher In The Kitchen Is Coming Up The Stairs

Real Ghost Stories

The Dishwasher In The Kitchen Is Coming Up The Stairs

 

When I was about six years old I lived in a rented house in Framingham, Massachusetts for about a year between 1970 and 1971.

I lay awake in bed one morning fidgeting because I couldn't get back to sleep. I clearly remember staring at the ceiling and watching the light of morning start to fill the room. I could hear my father snoring and my brother grit his teeth in his sleep (it was always very loud). The door to my room was open and I could just see the top of the stairwell from my bed. As I lay there I suddenly heard what sounded like the rhythmic droning of the dishwasher in the kitchen running. I thought it was strange because I knew everyone was still asleep. Well, this droning sound started getting louder as if it were coming up the stairs. I started getting scared and my heart started beating very fast. I knew that I didn't want to see whatever it was that seemed to be approaching so I turned over on my stomach and faced the wall next to my bed and threw the covers over my head. The sound had gotten really loud as though it must have been in my room. At that point, one half of the bed got ice cold and the other half seemed to get real hot. Then it all stopped, no more sound. I just laid there with my heart pounding in my ears. I could still hear the sounds of morning outside and my father's snoring. It never occurred again. I swear to this day that it was not a dream.

Here's a strange twist, after-the-fact; I had originally posted this story online in 2002 on another paranormal website. About one week after the story was posted, I get a call from a guy who said he was a writer for a newspaper in Framingham and claimed to have read my story online and was doing a Halloween "spooky story" special for Framingham residents who wanted to share any paranormal stories. I essentially rehashed the experience over for him and then I hesitated and did something I shouldn't have done; I gave the address of the house.

Turns out, this guy contacted the then-current owner of the house with the details of my story and what, if any, comments he wanted to make. The guy claimed he did not believe in ghosts, but was writing a story about sceptics and the paranormal. The final twist was that the guy mentioned, almost as an afterthought that even though he didn't believe in the paranormal, he had never gone into the attic in the house; just felt something "wasn't right about it".

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, greg84ae, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-25)
Your post made me think of that episode of old Twilight Zone where the old guy gets attacked by a slot machine. Perhaps you were feeling some subconscious guilt for not helping with the dishes more:)

Hard to say what it could have been. Our senses are notoriously unreliable, but clearly something strange was afoot. Hallucination? Residual energy? A random plumbing issue?
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-25)
Interesting story. I thought the pipes also, only it would have been every night if it was. Now, I've got the heebie jeebies because this wierd rythmic droning sound also happened one night only to my son and I last year. Can't recall about the cold though. Odderer and odderer.
Argette (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-25)
I love the title of this account! The visual is hilarious. It's something I would have been terrified of as a child. I used to fear calliopes. I thought they were monsters. I think I will look at my own dishwasher with some trepidation now...
greg84ae (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-23)
I have had two other, tangible, experiences that I will post in the near future.

Greg
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-23)
Hello greg84ae! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. After that incident, have you ever experience paranormal activity.

With best regards
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-23)
Dear lord, if your brother was grinding his teeth that badly, does he have any left? That made my jaw hurt to read. I'm weird about teeth.

This is a very strange experience. My only explanation for it would be a piping issue or pressure in a pipe building in the floor between the stories.

Did this only happen once?

It almost sounds like it nearly gave you an anxiety attack- the rapid heart beat, the cold/hot feelings, ect. Very happy that you are okay.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-23)
greg84ae- That was a creepy experience. Loved the detail to your story. I had a complete visual through out the whole story.

Isn't that odd about the current owner though. Everyone deals with the paranormal in their own way. Even IF they deny their own feelings.

Great story. Hope you have more. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: