You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Don't Wake The Baby... Or The Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Don't Wake The Baby... Or The Ghost

 

In the fall of 2008, we found ourselves in need of a bigger home because our family was growing. As luck would have it, a house owned by my mother-in-law had just become available. It was going to be a little while before it was ready though because the previous tenants moved out with little or no notice, leaving most of their furniture behind. I thought this was odd, but I figured they didn't want these things anymore and didn't want the hassle of moving all of it.

I asked my mother-in-law why she thought they left so much, but she said she didn't know. My husband piped up and said, "It's probably because it's haunted." She kind of rolled her eyes. She doesn't believe in that sort of thing, but she admitted that past renters have told her things that would suggest otherwise. She added that she had spent a lot of time there getting it ready for us to move in and never saw or heard anything out of the ordinary. I was satisfied with her answer. Besides, it was big and gave us more than enough room to live comfortably. We moved in and I began preparing a nursery for my baby girl that was due to arrive in early 2009.

I had all but forgotten the conversation with my mother-in-law by the time my daughter was born three months later. I hadn't noticed anything strange or unusual up to that point, but that changed once we brought her home. I constantly felt like I was being watched, but I chalked it up to sleep deprivation since I was up all hours of the night attending to my newborn. It was such an odd, uneasy feeling though.

One morning, I was cleaning the house and I had my baby strapped in her bouncy seat. There were toys attached to a bar that was above her and one of the toys played music when you pulled it. I kept hearing the music from that toy playing! Being that she was only a few weeks old, she barely even noticed the toys, much less possess the coordination to actually pull it. I assumed it was the movement of chair causing it to play. When I went to the kitchen to sweep, I put her on the table (still strapped in her seat). I contemplated this decision because it isn't the safest thing to do, but she was nowhere near the edge and I figured she wouldn't be able to move enough to cause it to shift. I didn't want her on the floor that I was about to sweep, so I felt that this was the best option.

I began to sweep while trying to keep an eye on her. I had my back turned momentarily, and when I turned back around I glanced over, but she was gone! I dropped the broom and rushed to look for her. She was just around the corner from the kitchen, still in her seat, on the floor, sound asleep. I took her out and just held her, as I began to choke up and try to rationalize what had just happened.

It seemed that our dog may have also taken notice that something wasn't right. He stayed outside most of the time, but when he came in he would run all over the house inspecting everything. One day, he ran to the back part of the house and immediately returned whimpering. We didn't have much use for that part of the house and were rarely back there. When I tried to investigate what caused our huge, fearless dog to become a big baby, he kept blocking my way. I felt like that was his way of telling me not to go, and that was good enough for me! He never went back there again, instead whenever he was inside he would cautiously peer back there and whimper.

I began to notice that when my baby and I were there alone, I would hear someone snoring. It wasn't a subtle snore. It was a booming, manly snore, only slightly muffled. It seemed to be coming from the same area that had previously scared our dog. I tried to find the source, but I never could. This happened countless times, but only when I was alone.

I thought I was losing my mind until one day, a friend stopped by. We were sitting on the couch talking and catching up. I was complaining about how much I could use a nap, but I could tell that something was distracting her. She asked me who else was home. I told her we were the only ones there, she said, "Uhm, then who is snoring?" My only reply was, "Oh thank goodness, I'm not crazy!" I guess I had gotten so used to hearing it, that I didn't realize that my slumbering guest was at it again. She wasn't convinced that we were alone, so she had to check for herself. When she returned, she said, "Does it make you mad that you have a ghost who gets to take a nap?" We had a good laugh about it and I felt somewhat relieved that someone other than myself heard it.

One night I had just gotten my restless baby to go to sleep. I laid her down and went to the living room. A few minutes later, I heard my husband talking to her on the baby monitor that I had close by. I can't remember what he said but it had a sweet and loving tone. I was unaffected by this tender moment, however (have you ever woken a sleep deprived woman's baby up? Not a good idea). I was so mad because it took so much to get her to go to sleep. I stormed in there and not only was he not in there, but he was in the next room in a deep sleep. I stood there puzzled. I knew I heard his voice. I went over to get her, but she was sleeping so soundly that I let her sleep. I remember consciously thinking that if it were something with bad intentions, I would sense it. It just left me feeling confused.

Another night, I had just laid down to go to sleep when I felt something press down on my pillow. It was like an effort to get a better look at my face, maybe to see whether or not my eyes were open. Of course, I opened my eyes and nobody was there. I jumped up and looked down the long hallway and it was empty.

At this point, my daughter was about 6 months old and once again, restless. I laid her down in her crib, and walked away. I returned about 5 minutes later to find the bumper pad that I had tied securing it to the crib had been removed from one end (the other 3 sides were left intact) and placed about a foot into the crib and re-tied in perfect bows. She was looking at it and smiling. I placed her bottle on the railing of the crib and stood there trying to figure out how this could be possible. When I couldn't come up with anything logical, I quickly scooped her up. The instant I picked her up, the bottle was knocked off into the center of the crib. It wasn't forceful, just enough for me to know it didn't just fall off.

I walked into the living room and told my husband, "Well, either our baby is a genius (for the perfect bows). Or this house is indeed haunted." She never slept in there again, and as for me, well I never achieved a good night's rest.

Other hauntings by Trio

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Trio, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-01)
Vanessa- while I appreciate your concern and perspective, no need to worry, we moved from there 4 years ago. And and interesting side note- a year ago, there was a massive flood in the area and this particular house was under 5 feet of water. The city deemed it uninhabitable and it was condemned.
VanessaNixon_x3 (13 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2014-11-22)
Though the snoring may in fact be a residual type haunting, meaning that it is something that just basically replays over and over like a type of left over energy. However, that is not the case here because it was talking to your baby. Beware, and you need to be extremely cautious, it sounds like this could be a negotive spirit, because it moved your baby or perhaps a protective spirit and moved your child because it didn't think that was safe, however spirits can take the shape and sounds of another person, someone close to you that you will not find scary or threatening that is why this spirit took your husbands voice to talk to the baby. I would highly recommend to have a priest come and bless the house IMMEDIATLY and in the meanwhile try and give it as little recognition as possible and do not challenge it in anyway because both you and your child could be at risk. Please be very cautious and maybe hang up some crosses or angels in the house and put crosses above every door.
Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-30)
Miracles - I think it'll be ok, as long as you don't start answering yourself;)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-30)
Trio - I'm impressed you were able to make sense of my first paragraph 😆 Last night my internet was throwing fits and apparently decided to rearrange what I had typed 😉

Anyway, yes, it was very strange to hear my voice coming from someone unseen LOL It was a "Huh?" and "What the!" moment for me 😆
Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2014-10-29)
Miracles - That makes sense. Assuming it was nurturing, maybe it didn't want to frighten her with an unfamiliar voice. This is all so fascinating to me. I chuckled at the thought of you hearing your own voice! I bet that was so strange!

As far as it trying to keep her safe, I understand what you meant. I even questioned the decision to put here there myself:)

Thank you for reading and giving feedback. I appreciate the info and perspective!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2014-10-29)
believe it is possible this entity was speaking in your husband's voice. It has been speculated that perhaps they choose a voice to speak in/with that we are comfortable with so as not to frighten us. Although Trio - I'm responding to your comment to Griff about hearing your husband's voice and whether or not it's even possible.

On many occasions, my children have heard who they believed was me calling for them. On those occasions, it wasn't me. This summer I heard my voice saying my grandson's name. So I do it was kind of freaky hearing my own voice, knowing it wasn't me LOL 😉 Also the theory of living residual might apply.

I enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing it with us. Oh, I also agree with Val that whoever this is was just trying to keep your daughter safe 😊 Not insinuating you had put her in any harm, but I know from a grandmother's perspective, sometimes we are a bit too protective LOL
Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-29)
Griff84 - Thanks for reading! Regarding the voice on the baby monitor- When this happened in 2009, I felt like who or whatever was talking to her intentionally used my husband's voice. I don't know if that's even possible.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-10-29)
Hi Trio, the thing that keeps popping into my head, is that you didn't hire a nanny, but it seems to me you have one anyway.

As Val has said, everything is focused on the baby and her well being, from moving her to 'safety', soothing her when she was unsettled (although male voice? Maybe a smoker or male nanny) and moving and tying the bumper with such care. Perhaps the knocked bottle was a 'don't forget her food' kind of sign.

I also believe the snoring is residual as previously said.

Thanks for sharing a very interesting read 😊
Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-28)
Hi Valkicry! Yes, that is what I was thinking, that perhaps it wanted her in a safe place, and also that is was playing with her by moving the bumper pad. This has been several years ago now and I remember putting all the scenarios together and thinking (or maybe hoping) that it "cared" for my baby. But I didn't hire a nanny, and it was creeping me out:)

Also, when I was telling my husband what happened with the bumper pad and the bottle, he was trying to explain it away. He thought that maybe I bumped the bed. So... We went back in there and I put the bottle back up there and bumped into the crib a few times. If I only slightly bumped it, it wouldn't fall. But if I gave it a good bump, it kind of toppled off landing near the railing. I really felt like it was a reaction to me picking her up:)
Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-28)
Also, the area of the house that scared the dog, was kind of separate from the rest of the house. And although it creeped me out, I never experienced anything back there. Maybe there were two spirits, one that intimidated the dog and one that was intrigued by my child?
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-28)
Hi Trio,
I can't help but wonder if perhaps you have a residual (the snoring) and an intelligent being there. A residual would not have spoken to and certainly would not move the baby, let alone tie perfect bows.
I do not think it is malicious. First, your baby was moved to a place of safety. The voice you heard was 'a sweet and loving tone'. It even sounds as though (to me) the bumper was moved with great care so that she could see it. Top that off with her own reaction, smiling and content. It could be when you scooped her up the bottle being knocked over was the ghostie's, "Aww shucks" you didn't appreciate the care he took. OR is it possible in your haste to pick her up, you somehow knocked the bottle over?
Now, I know you're thinking but what about the dog whimpering and refusal to go into that particular room? I've many friends, who though they love their hound, have areas that the dog simply is not allowed in. Perhaps in life, this is how this person was. No animals in my room. Then again, I am guessing. I could just as easily guess there might be another entity there.
Great account!
Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-28)
Hi notjustme! I can't explain why I wasn't scared. I just stood there like a deer in the headlights. There have been many times that it isn't until I reflect on a situation that I get scared, but in the moment I'm not.

Both of our father's have passed and my other stories have been about family members, including my dad and grandma. When things began to happen in this house, as much as I would have loved for it to have been them, I knew (or I guess I should say felt) that it wasn't them. While it didn't feel intimidating, it also didn't feel familiar.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-28)
I can't imagine how you feel because it's happening to you and the baby. I would have been horrified upon finding out the voice was not my husband's!

Hard to tell whether it's good or bad. You never mentioned you felt threatened or anything like that, but the dog is whimpering 😕...I wonder I wonder. Maybe it's a family member. Are your's or you're hubby's parents still alive? Could be other members of the family too.

This has happened to a few members here, (baby moving). Hopefully they will chime in to the thread ❤
Trio (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-28)
Wish-Not - I read your story (creepy). Just like you, we also tried to tempt him with treats and other things, but he would not go back there! They say animals and babies are the most intuitive. I had both in the home, plus an apparent history there. It was the perfect storm, it was bound to happen LOL! Yes, I became uncomfortable with the attention my daughter was getting. I felt it was benign, but it was creepy.

Sushantkar - Thank you for reading and commenting! Yes, a residual would probably be a good explanation for the snoring. I have only recently become aware of such a haunting, but that makes sense. I mean, why would a ghost need to sleep in my house;)
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-28)
Hi Trio! I read your experience and it gives me goose bumps. Brilliantly narrated too. I would echo the same regarding residual type as said by wish-not.

Be safe and healthy

With warm regards
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-28)
Trio- Now that was some CREEPY stuff. I have also experienced a dog behave the same way. I wrote about it in a story titled "Just a Handful...".

Curious IF the snoring was a residual type of thing.

I would imagine you would have been on edge with the attention that your daughter got.

I enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: