You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: My Nephew's Dog

Real Ghost Stories

My Nephew's Dog

 

My nephew was given a small mixed breed dog when he was around two years old, I'm thinking about 1978 or 1979. His mother named him Benji, but my brother always called him Ralph. Myself, I called him Benji-Ralph.

My brothers, my mom, and myself all live on a 160 acre farm that my parents bought in 1959. (Dad passed in 2006.) So, we all live in one area and it wasn't uncommon for me to see Benji-Ralph on just about a daily basis. I wasn't especially close to him, but would talk to him and pet him, when he let me, when he was around. I love animals, but Benji-Ralph was pretty skittish around everyone. He was a little stinker though, during the summer months when we slept with the windows open, he would always manage to be under my bedroom window, barking most of the night. Why didn't he go bark at his own house?

Fast forward to around 1988. My bother's wife had called all of our family to let us know that Benji-Ralph had not been around to eat that day and they feared something had happened to him, and to keep an eye out for him. As he got older, he became arthritic and had bad cataracts. She thought it was possible that he had went to get a drink out of the creek or pond and had fallen in, he preferred to drink at one of these spots rather than his water bowl. She spent hours that day and the next searching for him.

On the second or third night he was missing, he came to me in a dream. In the dream, I was outside of my house, everything looked as it normally did and the dream felt very "real". Benji-Ralph came running up to me and started barking. He would bark, looking directly at me, then turn and run in a direction towards his house. He did this repeatedly, coming to me, barking, then running in the same direction. I finally caught on that he wanted me to follow him. I started walking towards his direction, he would run ahead, then stop, look back at me and bark. I followed him along the driveway bridge, down the side, then along a creek that runs there. I followed him a ways down the edge of the creek, finally, he got to a certain spot, sat down looking at me, and slowly vanished.

The next morning when I woke up, the dream was just as clear in my head as if it were something that had actually happened to me. I called my brother's wife and told her that I was almost positive I knew where I would find Benji-Ralph because he showed me where to find him in a dream. I don't think she believed me, but I knew. I put on coveralls, my gloves, hat, and old mud boots. It was late winter, early spring...cold, wet, and muddy. Going outside, I started at the point in my dream that Benji-Ralph had come to me. I followed the exact route that he had shown me in the dream, keeping my eyes open for him. Across the bridge, down the side, then started following the creek. As I neared the area where he had vanished, I saw something in the water that was the same color as his fur. As I got closer, I saw that his body was caught up in some branches and things that were stuck in that part of the creek.

I stepped in with one foot, as he was almost center of the stream, and gently picked up his body. I carefully carried his lifeless, frozen little body across the field to my brother's wife, who had been watching me from the window of her house and had came out to meet me. She told me that she had searched that same area over the past days and had not seen a thing.

One thing I loved about the dream was, how Benji-Ralph was running like a young dog. Clear sighted and pain free!

This is one of a few dreams I've had where I was given information that I would have no way of knowing otherwise. I've had quite a few unexplainable experiences in my life and will add more stories.

So, this is my first story here, I hope it was clearly written and enjoyable to read. Comments and questions are welcome.

Other hauntings by StevenTylerRocks

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, StevenTylerRocks, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

feefoo222 (1 stories) (24 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-12)
My favorite part is when you remember him young and happy in the dream, no longer in pain this was really heart touching but sad as well... ❤
StevenTylerRocks (6 stories) (14 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
Thank you all for taking the time to read my story.

MandyyNicole-Yes, that was my favorite part, seeing him young, healthy, and pain free.

Jetson-It broke my heart when I found him, but I am honored that he chose me to help him.

RedWolf-I will find your story and read it. I've had several of these types of dreams, I think this is the only one in which an animal came to me. I will do some research into precognitive dreams.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-06)
StevenTylerRocks
I loved this story. This reminds me of when my Malamute had to be put down. A few days later I started having a dream of what my next dog would look like and how I got her. I wrote a story about this encounter but I just want to let you know that I believe your story, what you experienced is a precognitive dream which psychics have when the answer won't come to you in a waking state.
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-06)
beautiful and thoughtful retelling... And like elnoraemily it made my heart hurt
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-05)
Wow! Incredible story. My favorite part is when you remember him young and happy in the dream, no longer in pain ❤
StevenTylerRocks (6 stories) (14 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-05)
First, thank you all for reading this, it's my first story here.

Notjustme-I have also had visits from two different cats that I had that passed. It makes me feel so much better when they let me know that they are okay and hopefully happy on the other side. It's hard to say about the barking under the window, we live in the country and there are a lot of wild animals around. I guess it's nice that he decided to protect our home from whatever was out there though. 😊

Elnoraemily-It broke my heart when I found his body, but I guess I already knew that he had passed. But there was that little bit of hope that I would find him alive.

BadJuuJuu-I didn't mean "enjoyable" as it was a happy story, but that I made my point and it was easy to understand, not confusing. I guess I used the wrong word, sorry for the misunderstanding. The story is 100% true, my memory may have lost some tiny details over time, but to the best of recollection, it is exactly what happened. I can understand you questioning my story as true...I'm new to the site and you have no reason to trust me. I'm not one to make things up, but as you said, "time will tell" and that is very true. (That was not meant to sound snarky in any way, sometimes the feeling of things get lost when you're not speaking to someone face to face and I just wanted to clarify. I totally understand.)

Wish-Not-Thanks! I am always heartbroken over losing a pet. I still have not really recovered from losing a young cat over 4 years ago. I don't know if I'm emphatic or not. I'm not sure what I am, but I've had unexplainable experiences since the passing of my maternal grandmother when I was 14. (Only one weird incident I can remember from childhood.) I believe she came to say goodbye, but I was so freaked out, I panicked. I'll submit that story also. 😊
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-04)
StevenTylerRocks- Very well written, just as the last one I read. One might say that you are... What is the right word?...Emphatic? Hard to say from only one story though.
I always hate the death of a beloved pet. I have lost loved pets in the past so know the heartache.

Waiting for some more stories. Thanks for sharing.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-04)
Clearly written, yes. Enjoyable? As its been submitted as a true story, "enjoyable" is not the word I would use to describe it. If its true, "bittersweet" might be more appropriate.
If its not true, then I suppose time will tell. It always does.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-04)
This made my heart hurt, but it's sweet that he reached out to you.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-04)
I loved this! I love family visitations in forms of people or animals. How sweet he was able to communicate with you and how you. I guess maybe you're "open" to things. That also leads me to wonder why he barked outside your window. Perhaps you are open enough to attract many things. Not saying it's a bad thing nor good, just saying 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: