You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandma Came To Say Goodbye

Real Ghost Stories

Grandma Came To Say Goodbye

 

This experience happened in May of 1979 when I was 15 years old. My maternal grandmother had passed, maybe a week or two before this event. I always loved going to her house as a child and spending the night, she was a wonderful grandma. She had moved to California after her last husband died in 1976, so I didn't get to see her for the last 3 years of her life.

I was a freshman in high school and in English class we were reading Romeo and Juliette. I had stayed up late that night while my parents slept (all three of my older brothers had already moved out of the house), to watch Romeo and Juliette on our local PBS station. So I was the only one awake at the time. I was laying on the floor of the living room with my pillow and blanket with only the television on, all the lights in the house were off. I'd never really had any odd things happen to me in our home and was quite comfortable being up alone with no lights.

A little explanation of how our house was laid out. The living room was in the front of the house with the dining room and kitchen directly behind the living room. The area between the living room and dining room is completely open, while the kitchen area is blocked from the living room by the wall for the stairs going to the basement. You could walk from the living room into the dining room, to the kitchen, into the front hallway which brings you back into the living room. Between the kitchen and front hallway is the basement stairs and if you go the other direction, it's a hallway to the three bedrooms and bathroom.

On with the story. I was on the floor with pillow and blanket watching the TV when I heard the sound of flip flop shoes come from the kitchen, into the dining room, and right up behind my dad's reclining chair (the back of it was towards the open dining room) that was a maybe three feet behind me. Now, my grandma always wore flip flops in the summer, it was a sound that I associated with her.

I've always loved the paranormal and accepted it as part of life. My mom had told me things that happened to her as a child and adult since I was little. But when I heard the flip flops, I was basically frozen in fear! I called out in a small voice, "Mom?" even though I knew it was not her. No answer, I knew she was sleeping and never wore those type of shoes or even owned a pair of them.

I can't even remember if I was brave enough to look behind the chair, I grabbed up my pillow and blanket, turned off the TV (dad would have yelled had I left it on) and ran like a frightened rabbit. I'm not sure how I navigated the first corner, it was completely dark in the house, but when I made the second turn to go into the hallway to the safety of my room, I miscalculated the turn and ran directly into the wall. Luckily I had my blanket draped over my arm, otherwise I might have broken it. When I hit the wall, all my mind could think, was that I ran into a person, most likely the ghost of my grandma! I was struck with crazy terror before I figured out it was just the wall and that I had made the turn too soon.

Into the safety of my room, lights on, door locked, and under my blanket, I slowly calmed myself down. I don't remember for sure, but I think I slept with the lights on that night.

I told my mom about it the next morning. She asked me why I was so scared, and made me realize that my grandma would never hurt me and that maybe she just wanted to see me one last time and/or say goodbye. That was so true, she wouldn't hurt me and as I've thought about it over the years, it's really very sweet that she came to me that night.

There's no way that anyone will ever convince me that this didn't happen. I was 100% awake at the time and it was most certainly my grandma. Years later when my first child, my daughter, was two... She came to me again and that time I really believe she saved my life. I'll save that story for another time.

Other hauntings by StevenTylerRocks

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, StevenTylerRocks, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

C2C (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-01)
Not long after my mother died, she gave me a sign that she was still around and loved me. I was so frightened I immediately shut her out. I was 27 years old, so don't feel bad about being scared. The unexpectedness of it gives us that fight or flight reaction. It's wonderful you were connected enough to her that she tries to make contact every once in a while and an indication of a loving bond between you. It is a nice story I enjoyed reading.
StevenTylerRocks (6 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-12)
jynnantonnix, thank you for taking the time to read about my experience. 😊 I really wish, at the time, I hadn't been so frightened. Or at least I could have controlled my fear enough to have made some kind of attempt to communicate with her.
jynnantonnix (2 stories) (21 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-11)
Nicely written and very believable both from the aspect of it being something you experienced and of it being your grandmother checking up on you. I'll be keeping my eyes open for more stories from you as well.
StevenTylerRocks (6 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
Thank you bhataktiaatma. 😊 I have felt my grandma a couple of times since that experience. I'd like to think that she comes around to check up on me from time to time. Even though she's not her with us in the physical world, I will always love her very much. ❤
bhataktiaatma (5 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-06)
That was awesome story... Sometimes some people are really very close to us when they die they still care for us and always there to help us... I m looking forward for your more experiences... Thank you very much for sharing your story with us... Regards
StevenTylerRocks (6 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-05)
No problem sushantkar. Thank you for reading my story.

Wish-Not and elnoraemily, if faced with a similar situation, I think I'd still run! 😆

I've had a lot of odd experiences, but they seem to pop up out of nowhere, without any warning, when I least expect it, and it always makes me almost wet my pants. LOL
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-05)
Please pardon me for the spell mistake. I didn't saw while posting it. 'Thanks' to Hi StevenTylerRocks!

Regards
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-05)
Hi StevenTylerRocks! Good story and hanks for sharing with us.

Regards
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-05)
I also think your reaction was quite natural for your age.

Oddly, my maternal grandma also wears flipflops and I can clearly remember the sound of her shoes on her tile. Strange the things we remember so clearly.

I am very much looking forward to your next post.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-05)
STR- Great story. I feel she did come for a visit and your reaction was quite typical for a 15 year old. Lucky you though. Can't wait to hear the next one.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: