You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Was This A Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

Was This A Haunted House

 

I cannot recall exactly what age I was when this happened, but it was very young. Young enough to have to jump to reach the light switch. I know that.

I shared a room with my sister in a blue collar neighborhood in a smallish town in KY. It was not an extremely old neighborhood or anything, mostly just brick 1 and 2 story homes.

I remember I was in bed very late at night. I believe I had just been startled awake by something, but I couldn't tell you what. Anyway, I was on my back when I heard my name being called repeatedly in a very eerie voice, "IIIIIrrrennnee" It was very drawn out which made it even creepier. I was frozen for a few moments when I felt my head hit the bed - meaning either 1 of 2 things. 1. My pillow was pulled out from under me and my head hit the bed or 2. I was pulled until my head slid off of the pillow and hit the bed. I don't remember the feeling of being pulled so I'm thinking it must have been the first, my pillow must have been pulled out from under my head.

As soon as my head hit the bed I jumped up, ran into the living room, and crouched on the floor next to my dad who was asleep on the couch. My mom worked the night shift at this time, so my dad usually slept on the couch and kept his alarm clock on the end table next to it. I was so terrified that my Dad would make me go back to bed that I did not wake him up and crouched there for hours until his clock said 6:29 a.m. I knew it was set to go off at 6:30 am, when he would wake us up for school. The only other thing I remember from that house is at some point seeing a white, ghostly figure of a man walk into my closet right through the closet door. I never told anyone at the time.

Years later, my sister and my mom both shared stories of things that happened to them in the same house.

I eventually moved to the extra bedroom right next to our bedroom and my sis stayed in the bedroom we used to share. One night I had a friend spend the night and my sister woke up to the sound of someone speaking in a different language. She didn't recognize the language but knew that they were saying, "Help". She then thought that my friend and I must be playing a trick on her. She got up and tiptoed to her bedroom door, which was closed, and heard the voice the entire time until she opened it. Then it stopped. She walked to my bedroom and opened the door to find my friend and I sleeping soundly. She never heard it again.

By the time my mom got home from work my dad would be at work and we would be at school, so she would be home alone. She would take a shower and several times heard Opera music loudly in the shower. She would think we left a radio on or something and would search the house and find nothing left on and it was always louder when she was in the shower, anyway. And it was Opera music - sung in a different language. She chalked it up to being tired from working all night.

Eventually we all shared our stories, after we had moved out of the house, and were all shocked to hear we weren't the only ones! My sis and I did dig up a small handgun on the side of the house once when we were playing outside (around 7 and 9 years old). But my Dad never turned it in. I've always wondered if something happened there. My Dad also is an avid Authentic Civil War artifacts collector and trader, so he always has very old stuff from the Civil War that no doubt could bring some guests, I'm sure.

I have a couple of other incidents to share for another time, but they didn't take place at this house.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, irene1214, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SurRocks9 (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-10)
Good to know that you've left that house now. God bless you dear.
irene1214 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
They were definitely not crystal doorknobs mrmonty, but good to know, they were more like your average everyday modern ones. Houses were relatively close but not on top of one another, we definitely each had our our own side yards, so several feet between houses anyway. Thanks for the feedback!
mrmonty (8 stories) (48 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
Irene1214,
I would just like to act a quick question, what kind of door knobs where in your house? And how close where the houses to each other. Some crystal doorknobs have been know to capture sounds. With finding the pistol there might have been someone still hanging around.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
Kentucky has a lot of extremely rich history. Judging by the way you describe the activity, it seems like a lot of it is old- the music choice and the different languages being spoken.

This account is very interesting, thank you for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: